JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was curious if other people store home/self defense magazines at full capacity? Any concern about springs being compressed for long periods of time? For example, I have a Glock 19 that sits by my bed that can take 15 rounds per magazine and has 3 magazines with it. I've only been leaving 10-12 rounds in the mags (I forget exactly, I'd have to go look), likewise, I know someone who stores his 30+ round Glock mags with just 25 roundsj. My thinking is that if it's just sitting there for long periods of time, it might be bad on the springs to store the full 15 all the time, but also wonder to myself: "maybe that's just silly and I'm being overly concerned about a non-issue," so I thought I'd toss that question out to people who've been in the firearms community longer than me (having bought my first handgun earlier this year... I've had some rifles for a long time, but don't store them loaded). Thoughts anyone? Thanks. :)

All my mags, including my Glock mags, are loaded to full capacity. I have managed to answer this same question multiple times on this forum and chew gum at the same time.

Hold on, I say we make him prove it! Glockies have been known to fudge the truth any way they can.

a3e61f.jpg

It's the actual use of the mags that wear them out, anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't understand how a spring works. And odds are those people shoot Glocks. :)

Hold on, I say we make him prove it! Glockies have been known to fudge the truth any way they can.

a3e61f.jpg

Thus saith our resident Smith-Tard! ;)

Springs should not have a problem being compressed, but I've heard said that cheap polymer mags without internal metal support have problems with the feed lips spreading or cracking over time. Buy quality, in quantity, and keep 'em loaded!

Thanks for the replies. Sorry if this had been asked/answered before. I figured it probably had been, but I searched and after reading the titles of two pages of threads, I didn't see anything with a title obvious enough to recognize that the question had been asked.

I was curious if other people store home/self defense magazines at full capacity? Any concern about springs being compressed for long periods of time? For example, I have a Glock 19 that sits by my bed that can take 15 rounds per magazine and has 3 magazines with it. I've only been leaving 10-12 rounds in the mags (I forget exactly, I'd have to go look), likewise, I know someone who stores his 30+ round Glock mags with just 25 roundsj. My thinking is that if it's just sitting there for long periods of time, it might be bad on the springs to store the full 15 all the time, but also wonder to myself: "maybe that's just silly and I'm being overly concerned about a non-issue," so I thought I'd toss that question out to people who've been in the firearms community longer than me (having bought my first handgun earlier this year... I've had some rifles for a long time, but don't store them loaded). Thoughts anyone? Thanks. :)

My problem would be that you don't know how many your defensive firearm is carrying. I hope you will check and remember! Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top