JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
To be brief, I purchased a few magazines for my M&P 9 compact which has a factory standard 15 round capacity. Basically S&W's glock 19. The magazines I bought are of course 15 rounders and I assumed (apparently wrongly) that they would be nice, short and flush with my grip. Well, it seems what I actually bought are 15 round full size magazines which are 2 rounds less than the 17 round capacity they should hold. My question is... why? Is there a state that limits down to 15 rounds? Canada? What is the point of making a 17 round magazine hold no more than 15 rounds?

The SKU is 3000247
The ones I wanted are 3008590

Same capacity, same color, same firearm family and manufacturer... different length. The heck Smith???

Colorado and illinois have 15rd mag limits on handguns, but the 15's can be modified to accept full standard capacity.

I accidentally did the same with tx22 mags.

What I got:

6C749782-B05C-41CA-91FF-9C988CDBE169.jpeg

What I wanted:
29DA8B2B-AA29-4BF6-9FC6-36033E86A3B8.jpeg

Fortunately, one can just pop out that plastic knob and you're good to go. I imagine something equally as easy should be doable with the Smith. Hopefully.

All I have to do to fix it is change the spring. So no biggie, my mistake. Learned a new thing.

I still think it's stupid.

All I have to do to fix it is change the spring. So no biggie, my mistake. Learned a new thing.

I still think it's stupid.
It is. Blocking or otherwise altering a standard mag to hold less than it is should... it just plain stoopid.

Just for the general wealth of knowlege base though... how exactly are those limited? Plate block, peg, shortened spring on a spacer, or....?

It is. Blocking or otherwise altering a standard mag to hold less than it is should... it just plain stoopid.

Just for the general wealth of knowlege base though... how exactly are those limited? Plate block, peg, shortened spring on a spacer, or....?
Extra coils packed tightly enough that they take up 2 rounds worth of space and provide no additional pressure

It's cost effective. For those in the states with silly limits, it also makes that model available to them now, rather than after a new, shorter mag can be developed, tested and brought to market. For that matter, it may be the only economically viable way that model will be available to them at all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top