JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought a bunch of AR magazines from a generous guy in Sherwood.
His AF job was security commando police type guy.
Thirty some years ago he had to attend a shoot-scoot training in the rain and mud.
Couple days later, he packed his trash and treasures and became a civilian.
So just a couple months ago he was shoveling out the garage and came upon those trash n treasures.
Advertised here and I bought them.
Most were sandy and a little rusty, cleaned up nicely.
Four were still fully loaded with blanks.
The four springs were laid out with the other springs, they were about an inch shorter.
I stretched them a little so they were as long as the un-loaded springs.
They all work fine. I sprayed the mag insides with DuPont Teflon dry lube

Awesome, one of my first threads I posted here made your list! I not only asked about the spring getting damaged, but in the same sentance called it a clip! TWOFER! I've learned a little since then at least! And I keep my SR9 mag loaded all the time, 17 rounds ready to rock!

Hey, I may not have known how many rounds I had in my magazine, but at least I didn't call it a clip. LOL. Gotta love learning. Now I know how many rounds I have in my mags... Full. :)

I went back and read the other links that were provided on this topic. Lots of good info. I did, however, see a lot of "here we go again," and I just thought I'd put a positive spin on it... As long as this topic (or similar noob topics) keeps coming up, we know that more people are joining the firearms community and eager to learn. That's probably a good thing. :) Thanks for your help everyone. I'll continue de-noobifying myself one step at a time. ;-)

Opened up one of the safes in storage to check on things..
Have a few D&H aluminum mags (purchased from Aimsurplus) that I have left fully loaded and found the floor plates all protrude far enough to where I can see a portion of spring and the orange follower. They're also a PITA to slap into my AR. Tested 5 and all were the same.
Took one home and sure enough my other rifle didn't like it either.
Fed fine.. But it looks like it could be and issue if left for an extended period of time.

Ive got other no name brand aluminum mags and none had the same issue.
:/

Checked out my steel AK mags for laughs. Doing just fine. +1 for the AK.

I went back and read the other links that were provided on this topic. Lots of good info. I did, however, see a lot of "here we go again," and I just thought I'd put a positive spin on it... As long as this topic (or similar noob topics) keeps coming up, we know that more people are joining the firearms community and eager to learn. That's probably a good thing. :) Thanks for your help everyone. I'll continue de-noobifying myself one step at a time. ;-)

Glad to see you stay positive and not take the "here we go again" comments personally! Some of us are a bunch of salty/crusty old scheisskopfen (me included at times), but I for one am glad to see some honest "noob" questions popping up as I'm tired of playing with the same old turkeys around here, plus it makes me feel like I'm better than you. ;)

The only problem I've seen with 45 ACP magazines, are with the type that have the standard length magazine, while stuffing in 8 rounds. Some of the feed lips will spread, even some of the more quality type magazines.

If you're going to use 8 round magazines and keep them loaded for months on end, get the extended tube type. Like the style from Cerberus Tactical or the Wilson ETM.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top