JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We went to Timothy Lake and it was great. If you go to the end of the dam and turn right and park, you can walk to campsights all along the lake shore. It is first come first serve so if you go on a Monday it is a lot easier to find something. You can walk in 100 yards to 3-4 miles I think. There are toilets every 3 or 4 campgrounds and that is it.

Highly recommended.

Timothy Lake, Oregon - Camping, Swimming, Fishing & More
45°06'55.9"N 121°48'21.3"W
You can also canoe across if you're in a race to beat the other guy! LoL
That place is crowded.

All you need is a good map. You can set up almost anywhere, so it will say "no overnight camping" if you can't. State Parks and National Parks are your best bet for "woodsie" while BLM will be your best high desert. Stay on the trails and you'll be fine.

If you don't mind a really beautiful hike, pansy lakes basin in the "bull of the woods" wilderness on the upper Callawash river is on hell of a pretty place.
It's upriver from Estacada, approx. a two and a 2-1/2 to 3 hour drive for you.
Lenore, slide, big and little surprise and pansy lake are all
Within a two/ three day loop.
I used to disappear in there for a week or so and have an arraigned pick up near elk lake. Me and a few friends,,, good times man, good times. Look it up
They have some excellent fishing (bring the bug spray) and really good trail access.
As was said earlier, be good to her and treat her right though.
Dear readers and friends of salmonriver john( john profitt) I am his wife of 37 blessed years and I sign up to inform you all that this was his very last post. I am letting you all know that he had a massive heart attack in his sleep Wed night and although his son performed CPR for 20 minutes and the paramedics another 20 we did not succeed in bringing him back. I want you all to know how much he loved this site and talking to you all.

Dear readers and friends of salmonriver john( john profitt) I am his wife of 37 blessed years and I sign up to inform you all that this was his very last post. I am letting you all know that he had a massive heart attack in his sleep Wed night and although his son performed CPR for 20 minutes and the paramedics another 20 we did not succeed in bringing him back. I want you all to know how much he loved this site and talking to you all.
:(
VERY sorry to read about this :( May he find peace in the Great Wilderness in the spiritual realm (Heaven)

An overlooked part of Clackamas County a bit west of Timothy Lake. You can car camp at Hideaway Lake or take the short hike in to Shellrock Lake. There is a small chain of lakes above Shellrock you can explore. I haven't been up there in a while, but almost never ran into anybody. The trail head to Shellrock is circled in red, and it's a very easy hike.

upload_2017-7-28_10-36-35.png

Find any road in either the Cascades or Coast Range.
If you have 4 wheel drive there are some more remote spots to be found.
But you can pretty much get away from the crowds easily with a sense of adventure in both spots.

Hey guys,

I am still pretty new to Oregon and have some friends coming into town with a 5 year old kid. I have a 5 year old kid, as well.

We like tent camping. I am looking to find some tent camping spots that are hopefully away from a developed campground. Hopefully minimal hike in, although about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile hike in should be ok. Max 4-5 hour driving distance from Beaverton. Don't need showers, toilets, or water hook ups.

Ideally, this would be somewhere with mountain or ocean views, some camping trails, Northwest forest scenery, etc.

Any recommendations? We are safe and sane, and clean up after ourselves.

I suggest you go look out in either the state or national forest. Be careful where you build a fire, or better yet take a camp stove and avoid a fire altogether. If you inadvertently cause a forest fire you are responsible for any damage it does.

Again, I really appreciate all the replies and PMs. This is a wonderful community, and I'm glad to be a part of it. I've been busy at work, trying to get stuff done before leaving for 2 weeks, so haven't had a chance to respond. I will let you all know how the trip turns out.

If you don't mind a really beautiful hike, pansy lakes basin in the "bull of the woods" wilderness on the upper Callawash river is on hell of a pretty place.
It's upriver from Estacada, approx. a two and a 2-1/2 to 3 hour drive for you.
Lenore, slide, big and little surprise and pansy lake are all
Within a two/ three day loop.

Yes! My wife and I call this general area our secret spot. But since it's out- I haven't been up to Pansy Lake (want to soon) but we've gone up in Bull of the Woods to camp. All along the Collawash River is a bit more remote, and we've gotten deep up there a few times both hiking in and "Jeep Camping" off old logging roads. Always good and peaceful, plenty of places for the world to lose you.

My advice/how I found em? Download topo maps for Mt Hood NF, Tillamook SF, etc... OR get Gaia GPS on your phone or GPS enabled tablet and download the areas at home before you go. Study, look for water, peaks, ridges, valleys... go explore. It takes time but it's tons of fun. Some people say Mt Hood and Tillamook have too many people already... I disagree. Get in there deeper, approach them from a different angle than most do.. you'll find solitude there.

I lived in Chicago for 21 years. I've had enough "urban exploration".
And as a former Chicago suburbanite for a couple of lengths in my youth (West Burbs) whose parents loved going into the city, I feel you. I was raised to handle the city which I appreciate so so much. But my folks (Dad especially) also taught me the peace and freedom of the woods. Enjoy Oregon and welcome. Good luck finding an Italian Beef or decent stuffed Pizza!

I guess I'll see you guys up there. I frequent those areas when weather permits. They are some of the most beautiful. I recommend staying away from the hot springs, or not. I have to admit tho. I tend to stay on the oak grove fork which is Timothy lake is a part of. It's become more popular, although it still offers some remote camping that I would consider ideal for a beginner.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews