JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
got the same rifle....went rock chuckin last year with my AR and some ballistic tip Hornady 223 rounds and the end result looked like the pic of your sage rat....turned inside out....what scope u using on the 93R17 Chubby?

Just returned from Xmas Valley, we had an awesome time. Rats are everywhere especially the freshly churned fields. We met a lot of great people especially the 4 gents that stayed at the same Lakeside motel as us. Great times.

ahhh yes!!! I love my SAVAGE 93R17 FV!!!

That's what I was shooting as well. I had removed my 6-24x45 Tasco varminter and put on the BSA Sweet .17 on it. Wow do I like this new scope! The bdc was extremely accurate! I had 2 confirmed 340 yard kills. I dialed in 300 yards on the scope then held 1 moa high and scored perfect hits. I cannot say enough about the accuracy of the Savage 93. I went through nearly 300 rounds in 1 day and my p.o.a. was still the exact same as the 1st round fired til the last. I can say though that at 400 yards the bullet drop is so extreme that I couldn't even compute for it, so for all the people I keep reading about that say they killed a coyote at 500 yards with a .17 I say well, unless you have video proff I'm going to have to call bull on that!

That's what I was shooting as well. I had removed my 6-24x45 Tasco varminter and put on the BSA Sweet .17 on it. Wow do I like this new scope! The bdc was extremely accurate! I had 2 confirmed 340 yard kills. I dialed in 300 yards on the scope then held 1 moa high and scored perfect hits. I cannot say enough about the accuracy of the Savage 93. I went through nearly 300 rounds in 1 day and my p.o.a. was still the exact same as the 1st round fired til the last. I can say though that at 400 yards the bullet drop is so extreme that I couldn't even compute for it, so for all the people I keep reading about that say they killed a coyote at 500 yards with a .17 I say well, unless you have video proff I'm going to have to call bull on that!

I have a simple tasco 3-9x40. I am not happy with it. I have actually been considering a new scope. I have really been looking at the BSA Sweet .17 due to reviews and cost, etc. I am really liking it more after your review. I most likely will never try for something over 200 yards, nor will I need to. I will never "shoot a coyote at 500 yards." Love this rifle, though!!!

I most likely will never try for something over 200 yards, nor will I need to. I will never "shoot a coyote at 500 yards." Love this rifle, though!!!

Yea, my shots over 300 were dares and both times it took me at least 2 shots to "walk it in". you'll probably like the sweet 17, especially if you get the 6x18 power on vs. the 3x12 like I got. then again, if you're going to keep it within 200 yards most of the time then the 3x12 will probably be perfect. I really enjoy mine. $105 at Bi-Mart.

so I got a question. I know the area around Christmas Valley been going there off and on since 1965. BUT I have never gone sage rat hunting there. Last time we were there it was a photography trip mostly to see crack in the ground and fort rock.

SO how do I go about finding a location to hunt? Do you just drive up peoples driveways and knock on the door?

We are hoping to go over the weekend of June 11-12. I'd also like to get in some rabbit hunting. Been a while since I done any of that too.

Any hints or tips on finding a place to hunt would be greatly appreciated.

Should I take a bench? I have seen guys with a bench set up in the back of their pickups (I would have to drop the canopy)

so I got a question. I know the area around Christmas Valley been going there off and on since 1965. BUT I have never gone sage rat hunting there. Last time we were there it was a photography trip mostly to see crack in the ground and fort rock.

SO how do I go about finding a location to hunt? Do you just drive up peoples driveways and knock on the door?

We are hoping to go over the weekend of June 11-12. I'd also like to get in some rabbit hunting. Been a while since I done any of that too.

Any hints or tips on finding a place to hunt would be greatly appreciated.

Should I take a bench? I have seen guys with a bench set up in the back of their pickups (I would have to drop the canopy)

The easiest thing to do is go to Dinsdale Farms and just sign in at the door and grap their map that shows where you're allowed to hunt. We did that the first day and quickly found upon talking to locals the "better" places to hunt. When in Xmas Valley, stop in to the Lakeside motel and restaurant and talk to them. They will point you in the right direction as they cater to hunters. As for the rabbits, from what we seen MOST land owners did not allow any other creature hunting other than sage rats. We tried the riding around in the back of the truck, but the problem is most of the times you have to stay on the perimeter of the crops so we found it much easier either laying prone on shooting mats or sitting in lawn chairs using shooting sticks.

OK so Dinsdale Farms has there sign up sheet back up. I read somewhere that due to someone stealing an ATV they weren't going to allow hunters any more.

For the rabbits I know where to hunt them so thats not a problem. I like to go after the cotton tails in the small rim rock outcropings.

Trying to work out all the logistics.

I been wanting to develop a load for my -06 that uses the 125gr Nosler ballistic tip ( use the 150 and 180gr versions for deer and elk in my -06 and Model 95 Win in 30-40 Krag)

But I'll look into the Barnes bullet. Never loaded any Barnes maybe its time.

I just checked the weather for Christmas Valley: chance of rain 30/40 % . Does the rain have much effect on the little buggers coming out to play? or is it better shooting when the sun is shining?
I have an invite from a friend up north to shoot ground squirrels and for me it's a lot closer. But i do envy you all for the fun and shooting. OK.....maybe someday when i can get a few (3) days off.
..........Aim small miss small........... (i love that line, besides it's so true) Good Luck

they come out when it is raining, but not very much. You will get to shoot some but not nearly as many as when it is sunny. They are out like crazy when it is 70 - 85. When it gets hotter then that they start to go back under. Not that they are not out, just not as much.

I was thinking of shooting some Ratz this weekend and wanted to know if they are out yet, I'm concerned about the recent rains and lack of sun.

Any good info out there? Also, has the grass started growing yet?

was out there last weekend the rats are out pretty good sunday was the best day 65 and no wind take warm cloths its still freezing in the morning good luck kill them all big and small

was out there last weekend the rats are out pretty good sunday was the best day 65 and no wind take warm cloths its still freezing in the morning good luck kill them all big and small

nice to here they are out...have been thinking about shooting all winter long.

went rock chuck shooting near Terrabone last week...they have been out for the last month or so.

Has anyone hear heard if the ratz are out in the Crane area yet???

My crew's going over May 3rd. Our 7th year, we knock on doors for rats and have fields at night for rabbits. Up til 2 am when the hunting is good.
The rats are much more abundant when it is sunny and warm. One year it was HOT and I went through a coffee can of .22s in one field.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top