Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Status of Sage Rats in Christmas Valley - may go this weekend.

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Camtender, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Camtender

Camtender SE Portland Member

I was thinking of shooting some Ratz this weekend and wanted to know if they are out yet, I'm concerned about the recent rains and lack of sun.

Any good info out there? Also, has the grass started growing yet?

2. bcummings

bcummings Oregon city New Member

Buddy in Crane sez they r out....Grass not growing yet....not sure about other areas...

3. chainsaw

chainsaw East side of Or. Active Member

They should be out pretty good in xmas valley.Kinda overcast and looking like it wants to rain in Lakeview,often we have the same weather as Xmas valley.

4. bcummings

I heard the rabbits are all over the place this year in X mas Valley....true?

5. chainsaw

I haven't been to xmas valley this year but the rabbits have been fairly scarce for several years,maybe their cycle has come around this year.Used to be a bunny under every bush out in the desert years ago.

6. bcummings

copy.... thnx....must have been urban legend....I got excited when I heard that...o'well rats will do....are there any good places in X mas Valley for rock chucks?

7. chainsaw

Find some rim rocks and you'll probably find a chuck or three.Also,don't take my word on bad rabbit hunting,there could be a ton of em up there.

8. bcummings

copy...thnx for the info....I'll post conditions once I get back from shooting

9. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

wondering how it went... I want to get out there this next weekened

10. xuph18cdw

xuph18cdw Salem, Oregon Member

we went over and had a good time, It rained Saturday night, We killed around 75 saturday and got out to xmas valley sunday around 8:30 and found some nice fields, killed around another 50 and headed for home, Good weekend cant wait to go back!

IMG_20110417_121329.jpg

IMG_20110417_103314.jpg

IMG_20110417_121305_320x239.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  11. cooldave52000

cooldave52000 Oregon Member

Im new to the whole rat hunting thing and could use some help getting started

any hunting lic. required?

Trespass fee?

Car permits?

Is the season starting?

What would be a starting distance to sight in scope Marlin 60 22 long rifle?

ammo suggestions

Hunter safety class required?

12. Shooter98

Shooter98 McMinnville, Or. Member

A good friend of mine and I are headed down to K-falls on the last friday night and staying until sunday morning of this month if you wish to join us.

13. slyguy

slyguy Eugene Member

aagghhh my 17 is itching

14. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

looks like good times...I have no idea how you kept the rats in such good condition...are you sure you didnt use poison to kill those rats lol? j/k ...Did you get permission to setup on those properties or just go for it?

shooter 98...I might take you up on that.

dave...just a standard hunting license, the season is now till the grass is too high to see them. And 50-100yds is probably good for a 22lr. I use my AR15 most the time. varmint grenade ammo makes it really fun. Usually the farmers are glad to have you. Assuming you 'look' the part of a hunter and clean up after yourself.

15. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

That's the important part.

16. Raven

Raven Salem, Oregon, United States Member

Game - kenneth's uncle lives there are well. Remind me the details through pm.

17. coopone

coopone Beaverton Active Member

Where was this at? I haven't been rock chuck hunting in like 15 years...I'm really wanting to go this summer...Let me know if you guys ever go in groups...I wouldn't mind tagging along. As long as I don't have any LE testing going on...

18. Doinker Chubby

Doinker Chubby Portland Oregon Member

silverlake.jpg savage93r17.jpg rat1.jpg I went last weekend to Christmas Valley/Silver Lake area. The first farm we went to was not very populated. The second really made up for it. It was populated, low grass, perfect!!! We had a great time.

silverlake.jpg

savage93r17.jpg

rat1.jpg

19. bcummings

Just got back from Emmett Idaho...rats (whistle pigs as they call them in Idaho) were thick when the sun was out, got aprox 100 or so in 4 hrs...rock chucks outside of Terrabon next month...buddy sez they are out as well....2-10 pounders!!.....I will try to post pics after that trip.

20. bcummings

Chubby....where did u get a grenade that would fit up that sage rats A#@!!!...geez..Im guessing an AR or ???