JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's to bring everyone up to date on the current bills before the house & senate.
This doesn't mean you can or should quit writing your legislators!
I know some wonder whether or just believe it's a waste of time and won't bother writing their own reps, much less writing to others outside their district, but the legislator that sent this isn't even in my district. That proves to me it's worth the time & effort to contact as many reps as possible. This letter is one of a few others I've received from legislators that aren't in my district. Consider the info below with a cautionary mind. I also took the time to send a thank you back to her office.
Like she states;
"
I offer the caveat that where I have noted a bill appears to be dead… these things have a nasty habit of springing back to life unexpectedly in the 11th hour, so I would encourage you to remain diligently engaged on the progress of these bills."

Dan
Dan
Thank you for your e-mail regarding the many anti-gun and anti-second amendment bills currently pending in the Washington Legislature. In total, there were 26 or more such terrible bills that were introduced this session. I have been diligently tracking each bill and keeping a watchful eye on their progress through the legislative process. Here is where things currently stand:

HB 1010 (Senn)– Concerning the disposition of forfeited firearms by the Washington state patrol.
Passed the House, Scheduled for a Public Hearing in the Senate Law & Justice on 2/12.

HB 1068 (Valdez)/SB 5062 (Kuderer) – Concerning high capacity magazines.
House bill appears to be dead. Senate bill is dead.

SB 1286 (Peterson)/SB 5340 (Kuderer) – Banning the sale of assault weapons and large capacity magazines.
Both bills appear to be dead.

HB 1315 (Lovick)/SB 5174 (Palumbo – no longer in office) – Concerning concealed pistol license training.
House bill is on 2nd Reading in the House, one stop away from a floor vote. Senate Bill is dead.

HB 1346 (Pollet) – Preventing lead exposure in young people.
Appears to be dead.

HB 1374 (Macri) – Relating to local government authority to regulate firearms.
Appears to be dead.

HB 1530 (Davis)/SB 5434 (Wilson, C.) – Restricting possession of weapons in certain locations.
House bill appears to be dead. Senate bill is on 3rd Reading in the Senate, one stop away from a floor vote.

HB 2240 (Valdez)/SB 6077 (Kuderer) – Concerning high capacity magazines.
House bill is in House Rules, one stop away from a floor vote. Senate bill is in Senate Rules, one stop away from a floor vote.

HB 2241 (Peterson)/SB 6076 (Kuderer) – Concerning assault weapons and large capacity magazines.
Both bills appear to be dead.

HB 2467 (Hansen) – Establishing a centralized single point of contact background check system for firearms transfers.
Scheduled to be passed from House Appropriations Committee on 2/8.

HB 2519 (Walen) – Concerning reasonable public safety measures to prevent dangerous individuals from acquiring ammunition.
Appears to be dead.

HB 2555 (Goodman) – Concerning background check requirements for firearms classified as other under federal firearms laws.
Scheduled for Public Hearing in House Appropriations on 2/8.

HB 2622 (Kilduff) – Concerning procedures for ensuring compliance with court orders requiring surrender of firearms, weapons, and concealed pistol licenses.
Scheduled for Public Hearing in House Appropriations on 2/8.

HB 2623 (Walen) – Prohibiting the possession of firearms by persons convicted of certain criminal offenses.
Passed from House committee, should be in House Rules Committee next, one stop away from a floor vote.

HB 2925 (Senn)/SB 6686 (Das) – Prohibiting the possession of weapons on state capitol grounds.
NEW bills, introduced late in the session. Unsure of pending action at this time.

SB 6161 (Dhingra) – Imposing an excise tax on ammunition.
Appears to be dead.

SB 6288 (Dhingra) – Creating the Washington office of firearm violence prevention.
Passed from Senate committee on 2/6. Should be in Senate Rules Committee next, one stop away from a floor vote.

SB 6294 (Salomon) – Concerning concealed pistol license training requirements.
Passed from Senate committee. Currently in Senate Rules, one stop away from a floor vote.

SB 6307 (Liias) – Communicating mass violence threats.
Passed from Senate committee on 2/6. Should be in Senate Rules Committee next, one stop away from a floor vote.

There are so many of these bills in both chambers, it is possible I may have missed one or more. If there is a specific bill you were concerned about and I didn't include it in the list above, please let me know the bill number and I'd be happy to provide you a status update and contact information for the prime sponsor.

I offer the caveat that where I have noted a bill appears to be dead… these things have a nasty habit of springing back to life unexpectedly in the 11th hour, so I would encourage you to remain diligently engaged on the progress of these bills. As you likely know, I am opposed to each and every one of these bills and will continue to fight on your behalf. But please keep contacting the sponsors of these bills (their e-mail addresses are linked above) and let them know how you feel about them. You should also contact Governor Jay Inslee and Attorney General Bob Ferguson, as many of these bills were directly requested by them.

Yours in service,
Senator Lynda Wilson
17th Legislative District
Olympia Office - 110 Irv Newhouse Building
PO Box 40417 - Olympia, WA 98504
* [email protected] ( 360.786.7632
NOTE:The district includes eastern Vancouver and other parts of southwest Clark County east of I-205.[1]
This urban district is represented by Republicans: state senator Lynda Wilson (R) and state representatives Vicki Kraft (R, pos. 1) and Paul Harris (R, pos. 2).

More and more I find it difficult to believe that such "representatives" are paid by the People to introduce any legislative proposals which are clearly in the interest of self-promotion and who have the "I believe" mentality. I have never heard of our representatives polling the People before voting on anything. The Government of the People, By the People and For the People does not mean that an elected official can or should legislate for his or her own beliefs. The concept of WE THE PEOPLE is constantly diminishing in America. Too many uneducated, uncaring, myopic, greedy or just stupid sheep out there.

Please take a few minutes today and share the hell out of this. Cut and paste made easy, but tweak the subject line or personalize the message. Add your local legislators to the list as well, these ones here are just the ones we want to target.

To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];

Re: Please oppose SB 6077 and HB 2240

Please oppose SB 6077 and HB 2240 relating to high capacity magazines. This bill is in direct conflict with a 2018 Federal District Court ruling (Duncan vs Becerra, CA 2018). It is a misplaced goal to address a mere 7 mass shootings since 1982 compared to more than 44,572 violent crimes Washingtonians experienced in 2018.

U.S. District Judge Benitez granted summary judgment against the State of California, saying the "high-capacity magazine ban must not be enforced."

"Citizens should have legal access to high-capacity magazines for everyday self protection in the face of violent crimes."

During 2018, 7.5 million Washingtonians endured 5,368 robberies, 11,755 aggravated assaults, 27,329 residential burglaries and 120 homicides in residences (FBI).

Benitez said the magazine ban "was a misplaced goal." Due to media attention "mass shootings can seem to be a common problem, but are in fact, exceedingly rare. At the same time robberies, rapes and murders of individuals are common, but draw little public notice."

There have only been 7 mass shootings in Washington since 1982, and only three in the past three years.

Against AG Ferguson's recommendations, The Washington Mass Shootings Work Group specifically did not recommend magazine restrictions to prevent mass shootings.

Please do not eliminate Washingtonian's rights to defend their lives in the more than 44,572 violent crimes in 2018. Please OPPOSE SB 6077 and HB2240.

---

PS: If you share this post, make sure the text copy is shared with it. Otherwise you'll need to copy and paste the text to enable people to copy and paste into their email.

PPS: Find your Legislative District: https://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

PPPS: Join the conversation on Facebook in the Washington 2020 Legislative Action Group

PPPPS: Sources:

https://crime-data-explorer.fr.cloud.gov/explorer/state/washington/crime

https://www.statista.com/statistics/811541/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-state/

https://www.waspc.org/assets/docs/Mass%20Shootings%20Work%20Group%20Report%20(Compressed%20File).pdf

The NRA claims HB-2240 is going to be voted on this Sunday:

"NRA has learned that anti-gun legislators are attempting to hold a floor vote on House Bill 2240 to ban standard capacity magazines during the floor session this Sunday. It's imperative you contact your state Representative today and urge them to oppose this egregious legislation!"

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top