Southwest Firearms Forum
Gun Deals
Landhawk Arms
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Oregon Rifleworks
Low Price Guns
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Standard bullet weight .38/.357?

s1xty7

Reactions
I prefer fixed sight revolvers in 357. I always heard that fixed sights were designed for 158gr projectiles. I don't reload, but all the factory rounds I have in 38 special and 357 are 158gr. I've also heard that lighter, hotter rounds can cause more gas erosion on the frame and forcing cone.

Just my 2 cents from what I've read.

ma96782

Reactions
When my PD stopped using the .38 Special for our on duty holster 4” S&W reviolvers we were being issued the .38 Special w/158 grain lead hollow point semi wadcutter loads (aka:FBI loads).

For my off duty loads in my .38 Special S&W Chief’s Special 2” I was using a 125 grain semi jacketed hollow point. But the regular duty loads were also GTG.

Aloha, Mark

DLS

Reactions
  • Marines
  • National Rifle Association
  • Fight For Your Right
  • Three Bags of Trash
  • Howdy Y'all
... I've also heard that lighter, hotter rounds can cause more gas erosion on the frame and forcing cone.

Just my 2 cents from what I've read.
Gas cutting effects increase with higher pressure and with higher gas temperatures. Since "hot" light projectiles use faster powder than loads with heavier projectiles you typically see an increase in temperature. For the most part the pressures are the same for high end loads regardless of bullet weight.

So, yes the "hotter" load increases gas cutting but the amount is usually so negligible that it can be ignored. If you actually shoot a revolver enough that gas cutting becomes an issue you most likely have already had other problems crop up with end shake, timing etc. In other words the revolver has been worn out from other issues.

There are exceptions, such as the .357 Remington MAXIMUM (not Magnum) that was created for the metallic silhouette crowd. This round took a .357 Mag and lengthened the case to gain more powder capacity and ran at pretty high pressures and temps. Ruger quit chambering their revolvers in this round due to excessive gas cutting. The round lived on in TC contenders and the like where gas cutting was not an issue.

I have more issue with my levergun and .38s than I do with any of my revolvers. Just because it is just a tiny bit harder to get into that part of the chamber on my leverguns. Revolver is easier to brush and inspect the cylinder. But it is not really much of an issue either way.

41mag

Reactions
  • Woke Up Like This
  • Instant Updates
I suffered thru a long bout of 'carpal tunnel syndrome' about 15 years ago, such that even lower recipe 158g 38s were an issue for me the next day ( & the next.....etc).

Finally discovered the low end of the recipe chart for such as Trail Boss & 130g lead. Worked enough better I could enjoy the range time more.

"Good enough" accuracy was never really a problem as I became pleased with the steel plates more than the mute witness of the paper target bulls eye. Eventual surgery fixed the neurological symptoms, and I bumped my 130 loads up to their published max loads.

DeanMk

Reactions
Gas cutting effects increase with higher pressure and with higher gas temperatures. Since "hot" light projectiles use faster powder than loads with heavier projectiles you typically see an increase in temperature. For the most part the pressures are the same for high end loads regardless of bullet weight.

So, yes the "hotter" load increases gas cutting but the amount is usually so negligible that it can be ignored. If you actually shoot a revolver enough that gas cutting becomes an issue you most likely have already had other problems crop up with end shake, timing etc. In other words the revolver has been worn out from other issues.

There are exceptions, such as the .357 Remington MAXIMUM (not Magnum) that was created for the metallic silhouette crowd. This round took a .357 Mag and lengthened the case to gain more powder capacity and ran at pretty high pressures and temps. Ruger quit chambering their revolvers in this round due to excessive gas cutting. The round lived on in TC contenders and the like where gas cutting was not an issue.
I wouldn't mind a '94 Marlin in .357 Maximum.
I don't know if you can get loaded ammo for that, but I bet you could cook up some great 180gr. & 200gr. hunting loads with that round. :s0155:

Dean

Reactions: DLS

DLS

Reactions
  • Marines
  • Fight For Your Right
  • Three Bags of Trash
  • Howdy Y'all
I wouldn't mind a '94 Marlin in .357 Maximum.
I don't know if you can get loaded ammo for that, but I bet you could cook up some great 180gr. & 200gr. hunting loads with that round. :s0155:

Dean
None of the big names manufacture this round anymore, but there are custom makers that do. Brass is available from Star Line and others so you are not out of luck and there are a ton of heavy .357 bullets available. You can always cast your own as well! A marlin in this caliber sounds like fun!

DeanMk

Reactions
Thanks DLS, however further research shows that the Marlin doesn't possess the room to successfully action this round, since it is built around the shorter handgun rounds.
However, I believe T/C still makes an Encore available for all the "Super Magnum" rounds (Maximum included) and that gun has always intrigued me.

Reactions: DLS

UPCOMING EVENTS

NRA Pistol marksmanship Simulator Training
Defensive Arts Center
4620 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy C2, Portland, OR 97221, USA
.22 Rimfire Challenge
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Bill Blowers - Tap-Rack Tactical Tac - Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Pistol April 4th
Cerberus Training Group
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Rifle April 5th
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST REVIEWS

• Sunset Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    My wife went into to pickup a firearm she bought from a online retailer and shipped to sunset firearms. She had a great experience and had a...
    • NWArborist
  • Independence Indoor Shooting
    5.00 star(s)
    I've bought one firearm and many other random items at IIS. The gun was priced really well, and was the best price I could find the area. My...
    • TDH
  • Stockpile Defense, LLC
    5.00 star(s)
    I've bought a few lowers here, and many other AR parts. They have a really nice selection of guns and parts, not just AR. They are willing to...
    • TDH
  • Gun & Boot & Gear - Astoria
    5.00 star(s)
    Good bunch of guys! Always treated me well, and in some cases better then expected. Highly recommend swinging by and talking with Andrew about any...
    • jblake00
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Seen it from the highway a few times, so made the effort to go in yesterday lunchtime- What an awesome store ! Big, bight, well laid out, with a...
    • asiparks

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS