JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
158 grain slugs are the weight the factories use to regulate the sights on non-adjustable revolvers in 38 or 357. My plinking load is a 148 DEWC in a 38 case sitting on top of 4.0 grains of 231 and any standard primer. Clean your cylinders well and the carbon and lead residue will not hamper 357 length loadings. Hot 38/44 level loads shot in 38 cases will over time erode the front of the cyylinder, and spoil 357 accuracy. 38/44s are not loaded commercially anymore, they are 24-25OOO psi pressure levels that typically drive a bullet from a heavy frame 38 at 1000-1100fps. This was common before WW2. After WW2 357s became plentiful and the 38/44 load was relegated to history. SAAMI spec for modern 38+P loads is 20K. I don't shoot any 38s with anything hotter than +P.
Colt shot across S&W's bow when they came out with their .357 during WWII.
Before then, it was all S&W's game.
The Colt gun eventually became the Trooper Mk.IV.

Dean

I don't know what it is about wad-cutters but in my short experience with them, they shoot so accurately. I inherited some 38s and 357 mags before i had a gun for it, when i bought my 6inch revolvers, they surprised me in how well they shot on target paper. When i ran out, never saw any in a store. Maybe, i will keep my DW and shoot WCs when i roll my own.

Good luck.
They still make factory wad-cutters. Here are three examples, but I have seen other manufacturers making wad-cutters.

1592881804698.png
1592881974294.png 1592882119036.png
I wold buy some, but I sill have over 2000 rounds of reloads from my Dad.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top