JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pretty hard for small shops to stay that way in this century. Too many people buy on line now. It seems that a lot of the shooting public though is just "never happy". I remember when Wally came along and started selling guns. A lot of people were all mad that they were selling cheaper than the "Mom & Pop" gun shops. So later Wally stops selling guns and a lot of people are mad they stopped?:confused: The people buying use their money to decide how they want things done. A HUGE lot of them go to the larger places now by choice.

Haven't they always been more expensive than LGS for guns and ammo when in stock?? :rolleyes: Lately though I've noticed that the Albany one is focusing much more on the fishing, boating and tailgate camping party segment than hunting and shooting segment.
Yes, though I remember the Cabela's near me not having terrible prices before BP bought them. Now I don't even look at their ads much because I know their prices are so unreasonable for the most part, their sale price brings things back to a normal-everywhere-else level. And I SWEAR they intentionally hire the densest people they can find, just because they know they can pay them less. All in all, BP makes for a regrettable shopping experience

The store here in Salem has been mostly a joke for the last 4 years or so, hardly any decent firearms, and so-so ammo selection! The fishing side was always kinda generic, but at least they had some stuff. Still, they often did have good deals on things!

Haven't they always been more expensive than LGS for guns and ammo when in stock?? :rolleyes: Lately though I've noticed that the Albany one is focusing much more on the fishing, boating and tailgate camping party segment than hunting and shooting segment.

Hillsboro store was typically cheaper for ammo and guns than just about anywhere else, with a handful of exceptions. Not sure if that's changed since August, but they had some firearms and ammo supply and reasonable prices right up thru the end of July when other places were out.

If your local store is more fishing oriented, it might be because of the lack of availability of ammo / certain firearms at this point. Didn't the parent company for most of the ammo brands say they're 1 year + behind on production?

Hate to say it, but big national chains will probably get priority over smaller shops when it comes to ammo orders because of the quantity purchased.

It sucks that they're being hoovered up by a mega corp, but it could let them ride out the ups & downs of the market going from 2020 into 2021. I hope this turns out well for the employees.

The last of the big box gun stores. Since Cabelas went bass pro i stopped buying from there.
Sportsmsns will be the same.
Bass pro is another Dick/field & stream.

So it will be local joe shops, online and gun forum for sale threads.
A big lose to comercial sales.

Pretty hard for small shops to stay that way in this century. Too many people buy on line now. It seems that a lot of the shooting public though is just "never happy". I remember when Wally came along and started selling guns. A lot of people were all mad that they were selling cheaper than the "Mom & Pop" gun shops. So later Wally stops selling guns and a lot of people are mad they stopped?:confused: The people buying use their money to decide how they want things done. A HUGE lot of them go to the larger places now by choice.
I was working in one of my dad's gun shops in high school when Walmart opened in our town. People would stop by our shop and have a clerk go over all the pros and cons of each action and caliber, and then the person would go to Walmart and save $20 on the price of a gun. Same with what lures worked and what the steelhead were biting on.

Dad sold his last shop in 2006 and it was razed and replaced with an Autozone.

Now, there are no dedicated gun shops in town and Walmart got woke.

I was working in one of my dad's gun shops in high school when Walmart opened in our town. People would stop by our shop and have a clerk go over all the pros and cons of each action and caliber, and then the person would go to Walmart and save $20 on the price of a gun. Same with what lures worked and what the steelhead were biting on.

Dad sold his last shop in 2006 and it was razed and replaced with an Autozone.

Now, there are no dedicated gun shops in town and Walmart got woke.
Sadly this is just the way it works. When Amazon was getting going real good and Smart phones started to get good some electronic chain stores were lamenting this. People would come it to look at an item, then order it on their phone in front of the clerk helping them. Some of these stores folded and went away. Business adapts and changes or vanish. Some times it is sad to see but "tech" can't be stopped. People have to adapt and change with it. The small business that has gone away from Tech is going to be a drop in the bucket to what will be gone from this hoax that was pulled on people. VAST numbers of these places will close and be gone. That pains me a lot more to watch happening to the US. This has been nothing if not an interesting year. Will be something to see what the next one brings us:confused:

People would come it to look at an item, then order it on their phone in front of the clerk helping them. Some of these stores folded and went away. Business adapts and changes or vanish.
The only store left in town that sells guns, is also an ACE hardware store, camping store, fishing store, and has a huge clothing and footwear section. Pretty much a miniature Cabela's, but with hardware thrown in.

Their prices on guns are good, but their clothing and footwear is a bit pricey. I was there looking at some Merrel hiking boots and think they were around $120. I looked them up on Amazon, on my phone, and found them for $100. A clerk walks up, sees me on my phone, and says they will price match whatever price I find them for online. I showed him the Amazon listing, and he said we'll match it. Bought them right there. Not sure if they do that on other items, but I've found them to be within a few bucks on most stuff.

Every year around Christmas, they set up a gift-wrapping center, so when you buy an item, you bring it and the receipt to the gift-wrapping table and a couple of elderly ladies expertly wrap your items up for free. I usually try to buy all my presents from them just because of that. This year, they didn't offer the service due to Covid and I ended up buying gifts elsewhere.

Sadly this is just the way it works. When Amazon was getting going real good and Smart phones started to get good some electronic chain stores were lamenting this. People would come it to look at an item, then order it on their phone in front of the clerk helping them. Some of these stores folded and went away. Business adapts and changes or vanish. Some times it is sad to see but "tech" can't be stopped. People have to adapt and change with it. The small business that has gone away from Tech is going to be a drop in the bucket to what will be gone from this hoax that was pulled on people. VAST numbers of these places will close and be gone. That pains me a lot more to watch happening to the US. This has been nothing if not an interesting year. Will be something to see what the next one brings us:confused:
I'll admit to having done that at Cabela's/BP. In fact, they're my standard looky-loo store for optics. They often have what I want but at an awful price. And I don't feel bad about it at all

I'll admit to having done that at Cabela's/BP. In fact, they're my standard looky-loo store for optics. They often have what I want but at an awful price. And I don't feel bad about it at all
I think a LOT more of us (I know I have) do this more than we want to admit it. Again the people who are smart will find a way to adapt and survive. Some will set up things to get people who come it to look and buy elsewhere, to still buy something from them or they will go away. People can of course be sad it happens but you can't fight the change. Hell I have had to change jobs a few times as things I learned to make a living were no longer in the same demand. You adapt and go where the "need" is. This minimum wage thing is a great example. It's almost $14 an hour here now. So automation is king. A lot of the "entry" jobs that paid min are going and even more will soon be gone. Some will kick about it, some who are smart will learn to maintain the machines that replace the mouth breather flipping burgers. Anyone my age has to have seen this with car repair as one small example. When I was a kid I was never really into working on my own but I could do a lot. Now days? Hell I will change the oil if I have time but that is about it. The shops who shine are manned by people who have to keep learning as the machines evolve and someone has to know how to fix them :D

Some will kick about it, some who are smart will learn to maintain the machines that replace the mouth breather flipping burgers. Anyone my age has to have seen this with car repair as one small example. When I was a kid I was never really into working on my own but I could do a lot. Now days? Hell I will change the oil if I have time but that is about it. The shops who shine are manned by people who have to keep learning as the machines evolve and someone has to know how to fix them :D

I worked on an assembly line that used robots to coat circuit boards. We had people that fed the machines circuit boards, that tested the machines, made small programming changes, and did light maintenance (me). This was several years ago and I made about $18 an hour. But the people that programmed the machines had college degrees and made $20 an hour. All stressed out. The people that did the tear down and deep maintenance on the machines were all rednecks and mechanics and made $22 an hour. No college, no tech school, but they all had new pickups and no work stress.

If you are blessed with being mechanically inclined and enjoy fixing things, then you have a bright future. Or you could wind up at Jiffy Lube. Really hard to pursue formal training and experience saying you want to work on burger-flipping machines for a living. Or at least I'm not aware of any degree or training path for that specific of a job.

Some people flip burgers because that's all they are capable of. Telling them to be machine programmers or maintenance techs is like telling most folks here to be professional shooters; they just don't have the innate ability.

I left the manufacturing sector for carpet land and make more than all of them, now, but have considered going back there and becoming a maintenance tech for the better hours and lower stress. Life is funny.

I worked on an assembly line that used robots to coat circuit boards. We had people that fed the machines circuit boards, that tested the machines, made small programming changes, and did light maintenance (me). This was several years ago and I made about $18 an hour. But the people that programmed the machines had college degrees and made $20 an hour. All stressed out. The people that did the tear down and deep maintenance on the machines were all rednecks and mechanics and made $22 an hour. No college, no tech school, but they all had new pickups and no work stress.

If you are blessed with being mechanically inclined and enjoy fixing things, then you have a bright future. Or you could wind up at Jiffy Lube. Really hard to pursue formal training and experience saying you want to work on burger-flipping machines for a living. Or at least I'm not aware of any degree or training path for that specific of a job.

Some people flip burgers because that's all they are capable of. Telling them to be machine programmers or maintenance techs is like telling most folks here to be professional shooters; they just don't have the innate ability.

I left the manufacturing sector for carpet land and make more than all of them, now, but have considered going back there and becoming a maintenance tech for the better hours and lower stress. Life is funny.

I was a machinist for a good long time. I had a chance to learn in from school and declined. Years later I learned it the hard way, on the job. ANYONE can learn a good living if they want to. The bottom line is you have to want too. One small example. Woman I know who is a lot younger than me. She got pregnant, father took off left her a single Mom. She decided she wanted better. So she worked and went to school. Became an RN, then kept going to school. Before that first kid was done with school Mom now had two advanced degree's and is in the top 1% earner's. Was it "easy"? Hell no. Can anyone do it if they want to? Yes. People only have limits they put on themselves. A few get lucky and are born into easy life. Many choose to work at it and are willing to move to where they need to be. All a matter of choice.
Many are "content" to feed some machine, some job that takes a little training and makes a "living". If they are happy with that, great. The opportunity to do better is there for everyone but, they have to go for it and some times it's far, FAR, from easy.

Once you got past there gun and fishing supplies they were a low stock surplus house. If the new owners keep the locations with deeper and wider inventory they seam to keep it will be a huge improvement.

:(
The same company that owns Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's has made a play to purchase Sportsman's Warehouse to "further strengthen steadfast commitment to customers and conservation."

According to a Sportsman's Warehouse news release, the company is under contract to officially become part of the Great American Outdoors Group. As part of the unanimously approved agreement by Sportsman's Warehouse Board of Directors, Sportsman's Warehouse will be acquired for $18.00 per share. The transaction is expected to close in the second half of 2021 and is not subject to any financing condition. The companies will continue to operate independently until the transaction is complete.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top