JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Accurate doesn't list #2 load data for the .44mag with a 200gr. bullet but they list 5.1gr. to 5.6gr. in the .44spec case. Velocities are 875-950. I'm shooting for 750-800 or so f.p.s but I'm worried about whether starting .44spec loads are safe to use. Hogdon also lists a starting load for Universal of 5.5gr for 802 f.p.s in the special and was considering that load also.

I know there are commercial cowboy loads available in .44mag at around 750fps, there's got to be a good powder to get those velocities.

Your post illustrates why a Lee 2nd Edition is such a great resource for the loading bench. It shows start and max loads for this case/bullet combo using #2.

One caution on loading "special loads" in a magnum case, some powders are real sensitive to being "lonesome" in a big case and express their displeasure by going BANG in a way far larger than expected.

You might want to check out Trail Boss by IMR for light loads. It is super bulky and not position sensitive. I have worked up some loads in 38spl and 357 that have the same charge but have not got to the range yet. Both loads are book listed and should be safe. <broken link removed>
The 38spl loads i made for the wife are nice and soft using 4.0grs and a 125gr lead bullet. I hope they work out in the 357 brass. I'm looking to reduce the lead build up in the cylinder and better cycling in the lever.
Good luck and stay safe,

Do not use 44 special starting loads in 44 mag cases. This can cause what is known as a detonation rather than a controlled burn. Shooting leve or up will you may get away with it for awhile but it has been known to happen in rifles and hanguns with to little powder. Find some real starting loads for use in the magnum cases.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top