JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't know how many of you on here seen and/or agree with this. I live in oly near wal-mart, and of course shop there a couple times a week. I am a wounded warrior, but still try to park in the regular parking seeing there's service men and women that are much worse off than me. Yes my back is f'd but I can walk fine. Anyways....the last few times I've been paying more attention to the wounded warrior parking and have noticed most (that I've seen) people that are snagging these spots are not wounded warriors or spent anytime in the service for that matter. I don't ask for anything special....Ive done a few tours, fought the fight in both Afghanistan, and Iraq. Now when it comes to my service/wounded warrior brothers....i will die for, and when I can.... help them as much as possible. I'm sorry if its a ridiculous vent, but I'm in the parking lot with my 7 month old while fiance shops watching this. I wont go any deeper....but def frustrating....

Last Edited:
If the spots are actually handicapped spots that have been dedicated to Wounded Warriors you might just try calling the local police non emergency number and report the license plate number. I know in Oregon them Handicap tickets are a STIFF fine and it seams Police depts. are always looking for an easy buck.

I am in the same boat (bad back) & do not have a disability pass cause others need to park closer.
I see people take these spots & are not disabled & it sure chaps my hide. I believe in Karma!!!!
Thank you for your service, from a peacetime serving veteran.

Sad thing is you don't need a handicap tag/pass to park there. They have them at most walmarts (that I've been to here in WA). I think its a thing they do for all the service member at lewis/mccord, and vets in general. But they have about 8 spots at each door with a sign that says wounded warrior parking with a picture of a soldier fireman carrying a wounded soldier. They have the handicap parking in the same general area which obviously a permit is required, but the ww parking is more of a 'respect' thing. Just saddens/angers me to see the spots full....some by people that never served and full health, and a vet get out with crutches and family parked 50 yards down the lane due to the ww being occupied....

They're just a bunch of disrespectful self centered punks. Could be that their attitude comes from the top, and has trickled down. I think Mark is right though. Get into their wallets with a stiff fine, and it will stop.

Have to admit, I never noticed any "wounded warrior" parking at the wally world, and havn't been to the one in oly. However I never park near the front of the store at wally world, I always park around the side and go in through the automotive entrance.

On the other hand, whenever I see those "clean air vehicle" spots in parking lots, I always make sure to park my jeep in them, if the wife's in the car I leave it running.

Like AMP, I've never seen or even heard of wounded warrior parking before, but it seems like a good idea. Unfortunately you always get a few @rseholes who think they can park anywhere because the world is designed for their maximum comfort and convenience.

Some people just never learn respect for others. I've never seen wounded warrior parking before myself, but it's a good idea. I think about all you can do with these folks is wait for them to come out and try and shame them into a lesson that may or may not teach them respect for service people. Of course these same idiots probably also take handicapped spots.

Thank you for your service brother, I too am a disabled Vet and have a parking pass but only use it when I am hurtin real bad because there are WW2 Vets out there that need to park close. I would suggest parking near them and waiting. When they come out, take a photo and let them see you. Post it on social media or contact the local news. That will be a story.

And then go crank out ten miles on the treadmill at the gym.

There is a martial arts instructor at my gym that always parks in a handicapped spot - yes he has a tag. As far as I can tell his "disability" is that he has one leg shorter than the other. Doesn't stop him from running on the treadmill or teaching martial arts.

I want to drop his sorry *** so bad it hurts.

I am not sure how to tell wether someone has served in the military by looking at them - I have seen ex military that were bums and my current CIO is ex military - how do you tell?

If the spots are actually handicapped spots that have been dedicated to Wounded Warriors you might just try calling the local police non emergency number and report the license plate number. I know in Oregon them Handicap tickets are a STIFF fine and it seams Police depts. are always looking for an easy buck.

Mark, handicapped spaces in all 50 states fall under the American Disability Act, which regulates their dimensions, signs and logos, as well as number of spaces in a given lot. They are NOT designated for any particular group.

You damned betcha the fines are steep for violators. Anyone who denies a parking space for someone with a handicapped placard deserves exactly that. It's NOT a revenue ploy, as you insinuate. I like to think of their fine as an educational moment.

In Oregon, this program is administered by volunteers who are sworn enforcement personnel for that specific purpose. You can look up the ORS if you wish. They go forth and catch crap every day in order to assure handicapped people can park close to where ever they wish to go. They don't get a "slice of the pie" or anything like that. They do it because they want to help their fellow citizens. If you see a volunteer, you might consider thanking him (her). It could be your mom or dad needing a space.

My dad was parked in a Handycap spot at a grocery store, head injury service related, and some BIG lady, who had a tag-likely for her size, scowled at us looking for the tag (he is from Montana so its on his plates). I said as much with about as much disdain as I could without being a total jerk.

My wife has MS, you wouldn't know it if you saw her in public, and her balance is off all the time. At the moment she has little to no feeling from her waist down (think dentist numb) and she has refused to get a Handycap tag for the last 15 years on the basis that those spots are for people that need them, like her dad that also has MS but is in a wheel chair.

Some people just don't care about anyone but themselves....

On the flip side, I was at Home Depot the other day. A few 'Veteran Parking Only' spots have shown up. I was impressed when a person who didn't notice the sign came swinging into the spot, looked at the sign and rather than just parking the person backed out and parked else where.

I often times have to remind myself, that while there are a lot of asshats out there, there are also some good people too.

Sad thing is you don't need a handicap tag/pass to park there. They have them at most walmarts (that I've been to here in WA). I think its a thing they do for all the service member at lewis/mccord, and vets in general. But they have about 8 spots at each door with a sign that says wounded warrior parking with a picture of a soldier fireman carrying a wounded soldier. They have the handicap parking in the same general area which obviously a permit is required, but the ww parking is more of a 'respect' thing. Just saddens/angers me to see the spots full....some by people that never served and full health, and a vet get out with crutches and family parked 50 yards down the lane due to the ww being occupied....

I do understand you don't need a pass for the WW parking spots, was just commenting about the abuse of the Handicapped spots.

I have a medically (MD) provided disability plackard... Was at my bank two days ago a 30 Something very phys fit female bounced out of her Raised Jeep Cherokee, in the only disability space left... Sorta gunned her rig from one direction, to get into it, while I was waiting signal flashing to get into that spot.

Fortunately, another space opened up... Two spaces down. I pulled in, and took my bumb leg with cane into the same place, my bank.... We left at the same time... Me trailing behind, ther is no "high gear" when my right leg is acting up... She jumped up into her jeep, checked her make up... And by that time I was in my truck... Sliding in backwards, to prevent injury upon injury... Cranked it, pulled out... Passed her as she was adjusting her mirror....

~If she has~ a medical reason for HER Disability card, it is her brain... More than likely it was her husbands rig, and she used his handicap status illegally.

I have taken photographs. Argued with A$$wipes who had no right whatsoever.. And Maybe changed One Mind... But it depends on how much pain I am in, correct????

Take the Ten Percent of drivers are DUI, or getting there... I have never driven on my legally prescribed pain meds... I tough it out, and drive safe, if I am really hurting, I go no where, or have a (One) friend who will drive me....

Thank you for your service...

philip

Last Edited:
I know a guy that has a hangnail issue of some sort and got a handicap permit for six months. He told me a doctor just needed to sign that he would be 'uncomfortable' walking more than 200 ft.

Had no idea the rules were that lax (unless he is BSing me). I see people with handicap permits hoping out of their cars all the time and no limp, no issues. Everyone nowadays is so lazy, looking for ways to walk less, work less ...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top