JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On the flip side, I was at Home Depot the other day. A few 'Veteran Parking Only' spots have shown up. I was impressed when a person who didn't notice the sign came swinging into the spot, looked at the sign and rather than just parking the person backed out and parked else where.

I often times have to remind myself, that while there are a lot of asshats out there, there are also some good people too.
It don't matter if it's a handiperson or not but if I'm at a home center or whatall I'll offer help to someone struggling or whatever to load/unload something into their rig.
Crap, I offer to pick up wheelchair folks' brass for them.. "do you want me to pick that up for you?". no big deal

I can't, will not ever, hold my tongue when I see someone that has no damn business taking a handicapped parking spot. That ugly thing that I tend to keep locked up gets out. I make it a point to embarrass them by whatever means available. Some of you may not agree with these tactics, don't care. Thank you to all of you that have served my country in the armed forces.

cc7bb59e95605026b727736e6be039a3.jpg
This is what they look like. I know they have them at the lacey, Tumwater, and I think Enumclaw stores. I read online that select locations have the dedicated parking. So maybe mostly WalMart's near post etc?

cc7bb59e95605026b727736e6be039a3.jpg

Last Edited:
That ^^^ is way better than the row of Pink Flamingo's special parking spots, at Springfields GateWay Mall... For pregnant women... When all the disabled handicap spaces are filled 99% of the time, and those sit vacant, I never hesitated to use one... I would not do that for the above sign, though, they paid their price twice over what I have... And I always stop to talk to any veteran who is obvious in "hurt" ... And I get the same, from new Vets, back from the Stan, little older back from the sandbox... I have met a few Kosovo Vets, Them little wars after ...RVN. When I am in a clinic, or down at Roseburg, and see Korean Vets, I remind myself, they were the first unthanked Vets.... WWII vets, brought in by spouses, daughters or sons... Once a Grand Daughter... I could see how proud she was of her Gran Pa...

a VET is a VET is a VET... give the thanks.

philip

Sad thing is you don't need a handicap tag/pass to park there. They have them at most walmarts (that I've been to here in WA). I think its a thing they do for all the service member at lewis/mccord, and vets in general. But they have about 8 spots at each door with a sign that says wounded warrior parking with a picture of a soldier fireman carrying a wounded soldier. They have the handicap parking in the same general area which obviously a permit is required, but the ww parking is more of a 'respect' thing. Just saddens/angers me to see the spots full....some by people that never served and full health, and a vet get out with crutches and family parked 50 yards down the lane due to the ww being occupied....

OK, I'll play devils advocate here for a moment.

I've never seen these types of parking spaces, but you say that these are a courtesy provided by Walmart, and not a legal thing like disabled parking spaces correct? If so, is there some sort of identification that one must place on their vehicle to identify themselves as a wounded warrior? Do WW's just automatically do this? Do they walk around with t-shirts or badges that tell people, "Here I am." Do they hobble around just to make sure people see that they have a disability? Do you see where I'm going with this?

If none of the above is true, then how do you know for a fact those parking spaces are being occupied by people who are not WW's? How do you know what a person's disability is without coming right up to them and asking? You just admitted that you're disabled but can walk just just fine. If I saw you walking around, would I know you have a disability without you telling me? What about hidden disabilities like mental disorders, heart problems, cancer, bone disorders, and amputated limbs? Are you going to paint everybody with the same wide brush just because they didn't have a "Semper Fi" sticker in the rear window?

P.S. Thank you for your service.

Since I am deputized to enforce handicapped parking laws in Clark County I'll post in answer to this:
The reason for a person having a permit is not for YOU to judge! It is a matter between the person, their doctor and the state of issue. The doctor is putting his license in jeporday if they certify someone as handicapped and they aren't.
You have no way of knowing what a persons handicap is, some are hidden. Can you tell by looking at someone if they have breathing problems or MS? For instance, I have MS and have had five surgeries on one knee, some days I limp and some I don't, in the past I have used a cane but don't right now.
I have had my cars vandalized while parking in HC spots by "people" who don't think I should be parking there.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

They're just a bunch of disrespectful self centered punks. Could be that their attitude comes from the top, and has trickled down. I think Mark is right though. Get into their wallets with a stiff fine, and it will stop.
The non handicapped spots are a courtesy of the store and carry no fine for people ignoring the store REQUEST.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

I can't, will not ever, hold my tongue when I see someone that has no damn business taking a handicapped parking spot. That ugly thing that I tend to keep locked up gets out. I make it a point to embarrass them by whatever means available. Some of you may not agree with these tactics, don't care. Thank you to all of you that have served my country in the armed forces.

And just how do you tell if they're legally allowed to park in a HC spot? It's NOT up to you to judge that, even I, as a sworn volunteer HC patrol person can't tell.

Most people don't care about anybody but themselves.
I didn't serve and I regre it everyday. When I was 20 i was really looking into it, but had a bad back going in and just couldn't sign up knowing I couldn't get in a job I wanted (selfish)
Or knowing i would be a danger to others.

Like I said it's something i think about daily. So i have the greatest respect and admiration for those who did. Everytime I read about soldiers, KIA, MIA, troubles of families and benefits for soldiers i get emotional. Partly because I feel I owe them something and partly guilty for not have been through the same burden.

I would be pissed about it, and I didn't serve so I can't imagine how you orother vets feel.

I may be mistaken, but I think I have seen special license plates: "wounded Warrior" just like the special plates: "Purple Heart" and the even tougher (emotionally for me) "POW" special plates....

If I am correct, that might be the WA equivelant to handi cap license. My blue disable parking expires in two months... I must get my doctor to write another letter...

and some of the posts above might be talking of when there is No Plackard visible... I caught a Taxi doing that one day... I honked my horn, flicked my lights, he finally moved... I took his cabbie number, and told him to think three times.

philip

And just how do you tell if they're legally allowed to park in a HC spot? It's NOT up to you to judge that, even I, as a sworn volunteer HC patrol person can't tell.

As a matter of fact, in THIS state (Oregon) you need a placard in obvious view or a handicapped licence plate to utilize the spot, not sure how it is in Washington though. Sorry if it offends you that it offends me, but when I see someone that doesn't have a right to that spot which is reserved for the handicapped, that is the very 1st question I ask them, where is your tag that your supposed to hang on your rear view mirror? If they have none and are just taking it out of laziness, I will push the point and make a rather loud scene out of it. Usually they become embarrassed enough they move, if they don't at least they get the stink eye from everyone around them in the store that heard/saw it. So YES it is up to me to judge that, since your only deputized as a sworn volunteer in Washington. By the way deen_ad, no offence, but did you catch the last part where I said "don't care"?

As a matter of fact, in THIS state (Oregon) you need a placard in obvious view or a handicapped licence plate to utilize the spot, not sure how it is in Washington though. Sorry if it offends you that it offends me, but when I see someone that doesn't have a right to that spot which is reserved for the handicapped, that is the very 1st question I ask them, where is your tag that your supposed to hang on your rear view mirror? If they have none and are just taking it out of laziness, I will push the point and make a rather loud scene out of it. Usually they become embarrassed enough they move, if they don't at least they get the stink eye from everyone around them in the store that heard/saw it. So YES it is up to me to judge that, since your only deputized as a sworn volunteer in Washington. By the way deen_ad, no offence, but did you catch the last part where I said "don't care"?

Cared enough to post twice....just sayin'.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top