JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I'm newer to reloading. This piece came with some items I bought. Can anyone tell me what its for? It was with a bunch of lee stuff and is marked 8-30. Thank you a bunch- Jeff

20210905_121207.jpg 20210905_121201.jpg 20210905_121130.jpg

Never a "dumb dumb" question, and your info is above.

Using the comparator will give you the most accurate readings in regards to setting up your COAL to the lands. The Anvil gives a better measuring surface than just the caliper jaws.

Never a "dumb dumb" question, and your info is above.

Using the comparator will give you the most accurate readings in regards to setting up your COAL to the lands. The Anvil gives a better measuring surface than just the caliper jaws.
Unless I'm totally missing something, that comparator piece has very little to do with "Cartridge Overall Length". Instead, It measures base to shoulder so you can determine how far the shoulder of a fired cartridge will need to be bumped back. That's how I use mine anyway.

The insert the OP currently has is for .30 bullet intended to measure to the Ogive of the bullet when loaded to help determine COAL.

The insert the OP currently has is for .30 bullet intended to measure to the Ogive of the bullet when loaded to help determine COAL.
AH! Okay! That makes sense. I'm not into that much precision yet. I'm also under the impression that I won't likely run into the need for that loading for 80-100 YO military rifles.

Ogive comparitors are very handy when loading a certain distance from the lands. The tip of the bullet , or COL, does not help in such cases - only the actual point where the ogive touches the lands. You can then adjust seating so that the bullets are in contact when chambered, or any preferred setback.

And he's on it like a duck on a June Bug!

I have seen "Newly Minted Experts" before, but none that fast.
(Attentive viewers may be aware that Orygun's comparator still has that "new comparator smell".)

Ogive comparitors are very handy when loading a certain distance from the lands. The tip of the bullet , or COL, does not help in such cases - only the actual point where the ogive touches the lands. You can then adjust seating so that the bullets are in contact when chambered, or any preferred setback.
Exactly. So many guys just look to see what is listed in a manual as the tested COL of a given bullet. And I've always tried to explain they're missing one of the most important parts of developing the most accurate load for their rifle, the sweet spot, or bullet jump, in seating depth. I've seen with my own eyes the difference .010" can make.

The tool shown by OP was originally made by Stoney Point, later bought out by Hornady. Still using my 30 yr old Stoney.

Hornady now makes the headspace comparator as shown, but I use the original inserts like shown by OP. Today I need to FL some 308 brass and I use the 37 cal insert to set the shoulder back a few thousandths.

Oh c'mon maaaaaaaaaan! There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. Like these guys rambling on about "ogive comparators" and whatnot, when that's obviously a shortened snap cap for a .12 gauge shotgun with a screw stuck in the side. :confused: :eek:

Seriously, I've never even heard of an ogive comparator. But then, I've only been reloading for 45 years. It's probably amazing I still have both eyes and all of my fingers and thumbs.

Oh c'mon maaaaaaaaaan! There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. Like these guys rambling on about "ogive comparators" and whatnot, when that's obviously a shortened snap cap for a .12 gauge shotgun with a screw stuck in the side. :confused: :eek:

Seriously, I've never even heard of an ogive comparator. But then, I've only been reloading for 45 years. It's probably amazing I still have both eyes and all of my fingers and thumbs.
I've never checked how far off the lands the ogive of my home rolled rounds are. Heck, I don't know how far off the lands my FACTORY ammo bullets are! It's not as easy to "plunk" test a Garand. Maybe I'm not a bad shot after all and all I need to do get the proper bullet jump to get those 1"-2" groups consistently?

I've never checked how far off the lands the ogive of my home rolled rounds are. Heck, I don't know how far off the lands my FACTORY ammo bullets are! It's not as easy to "plunk" test a Garand. Maybe I'm not a bad shot after all and all I need to do get the proper bullet jump to get those 1"-2" groups consistently?
I'm with you Mikej. The only time I've even considered the "jump" to lands is when I bought a used rifle that had mediocre accuracy at best. I noticed that when I pushed a shell into the chamber with the bolt, it felt like I was seating the factory round a little deeper. I was concerned that when I opened the bolt and removed an unfired cartridge, I might someday "pull" the bullet and have spilled powder in the magazine and a blocked barrel (which never did happen). With my healthy sense of cynicism, I could only envision this happening as the buck of my dreams walked slowly out of my life. So, when I reloaded some rounds for that rifle, I seated the bullets a little deeper for a slightly shorter OAL. Doing so turned a 2" to 2 1/2" gun, into a consistent 3/4" at 100 yards gun.

I'm with you Mikej. The only time I've even considered the "jump" to lands is when I bought a used rifle that had mediocre accuracy at best. I noticed that when I pushed a shell into the chamber with the bolt, it felt like I was seating the factory round a little deeper. I was concerned that when I opened the bolt and removed an unfired cartridge, I might someday "pull" the bullet and have spilled powder in the magazine and a blocked barrel (which never did happen). With my healthy sense of cynicism, I could only envision this happening as the buck of my dreams walked slowly out of my life. So, when I reloaded some rounds for that rifle, I seated the bullets a little deeper for a slightly shorter OAL. Doing so turned a 2" to 2 1/2" gun, into a consistent 3/4" at 100 yards gun.
I have two, over 100 YO, bolt guns and a Garand. I should modify a shell to hold a bullet and see what the jump is with the projectiles I'm using.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top