JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You were leaving the impression that a random buyer will get 1 MOA or better off the rack from a random and cheap AR, and that's just not going to be true in the world of large numbers. If it were, the DOD would be able to get that kind of accuracy guarantee out of Colt and FN, but they don't and they won't.
The last time I qualified with an AR, I was given a very worn probably 20 year old rifle (pre forward assist) off the rack. We shot 5 stations 20 rounds each. I scored 96 out of 100 with the majority of the hits in a 1" ragged hole in the center of the target. There is no comparison to an AK.

Last Edited:
I have no desire to own any gun that is not accurate, what is the point???o_O

My new AK seems to be doing just fine hitting any B-27 target or steel I place out to 300m. Will it cloverleaf a target out that far? Of course not. It serves just fine for what I expect of it. I can't see further than that these days anyways.

They are wicked looking, like hyenas. And, the fireballs at dusk are awesome.

It's true people will look at you sideways when you pull out an AK. I make a point to chat up my neighbors on the firing line, so they know I'm an okay guy. Then they relax a little bit. But I know the mere appearance of an AK startles a lot of shooters. A big part of the community came up in the sport through hunting and outdoorsmanship, and the AK doesn't fit that mold. At best, these folks view AK's as un-American, which is not entirely fair, because so many AK's are now machined and assembled in the USA.

IMO what the AK provides, that people don't often get, is the kind of fun you had shooting cans with a bb gun as a child. In other words, shooting for the joy of shooting, without the tedium that comes with a dedicated target rifle.

The last time I qualified with an AR, I was given a very worn probably 20 year old rifle off the rack. We shot 5 stations 20 rounds each. I scored 96 out of 100 with the majority of the hits in a 1" ragged hole in the center of the target. There is no comparison to an AK.

I don't know why I find myself having to tell an alleged adult these things, but here goes:

Your personal anecdotes are not data that can support your baseless assertions.

No one in this thread has so much as argued that the typical AK is going to outshoot the typical AR, so your injection of AR chest beating is really rather silly. In fact, you've been busy filling out a stereotype of certain AR owners as being bubble gumming feminine hygiene products.:rolleyes:

As with most rifles ...Accuracy can be made or broken with:
Sights...
Ammo chosen...
Rifle fit to the shooter...
How well the rifle has been maintained...
And the shooters themselves...

Both as issued rifles ( AK types and AR15 types ) are useful rifles and good for general purpose rifle shooting.
With a bit of work both can be made into a more dedicated purpose rifle.

I have had experience with both types of rifles ... as a civilian and in the Army...some of my experience has been of the exchanging fire type...All I can say for sure , is that I am glad that I was the better shot.
Andy

I don't know why I find myself having to tell an alleged adult these things, but here goes:

Your personal anecdotes are not data that can support your baseless assertions.

No one in this thread has so much as argued that the typical AK is going to outshoot the typical AR, so your injection of AR chest beating is really rather silly. In fact, you've been busy filling out a stereotype of certain AR owners as being bubble gumming feminine hygiene products.:rolleyes:
A consistently accurate AK at 300 yards is beyond any experienced persons belief. I doubght that you have much real experiance. I, as Andy have used, trained and been the target of many military rifle systems including the AK. The last time I went against one was in Central America, off course we didn't play fair, responding with an M60 (if you know what that is) The AK platform was specifically designed for use by poorly trained personnel and to be cheep to manufacture. A little like the rifle vs musket contest we had during our revolutionary war. Muskets can be effective but a trained rifle equipped troop will win nearly every time. One of my distant grandfathers came to this country as a paid Waldeck mercenary working for the British, within the first 2 years here, he defected and joined the American unit commanded by George Rogers Clark, (the older brother of William Clark) they are considered the first special forces unit in the American military. They were equipped with accurate rifles and were commonly known to engage the enemy (Indian or British) at 300 yards long outside the range of the opposing muskets. After the war my grandfather became involved with Daniel Boone, also a great rifleman and charged with training the Boone settlements in riflemansship. He was renound in his ability with a rifle. The AK is more akin to a Musket than a rifle. So, I live in Western Idaho and will gladly travel to a range of your choosing to establish who is full of BS here. You bring your best AK and I will bring my mostly stock AR carbine. I will even add 1000.00 to the pot to make it interesting.

Lets keep it friendly here...no need to get upset or unfriendly 'cause some one has a different opinion or thought...

Besides neither rifle holds a candle to my original flintlocks...'course I wouldn't recommend holding a candle next to a flintlock...:eek::D
Andy

A consistently accurate AK at 300 yards is beyond any experienced persons belief. I doubght that you have much real experiance. I, as Andy have used, trained and been the target of many military rifle systems including the AK. The last time I went against one was in Central America, off course we didn't play fair, responding with an M60 (if you know what that is) The AK platform was specifically designed for use by poorly trained personnel and to be cheep to manufacture. A little like the rifle vs musket contest we had during our revolutionary war. Muskets can be effective but a trained rifle equipped troop will win nearly every time. One of my distant grandfathers came to this country as a paid Waldeck mercenary working for the British, within the first 2 years here, he defected and joined the American unit commanded by George Rogers Clark, (the older brother of William Clark) they are considered the first special forces unit in the American military. They were equipped with accurate rifles and were commonly known to engage the enemy (Indian or British) at 300 yards long outside the range of the opposing muskets. After the war my grandfather became involved with Daniel Boone, also a great rifleman and charged with training the Boone settlements in riflemansship. He was renound in his ability with a rifle. The AK is more akin to a Musket than a rifle. So, I live in Western Idaho and will gladly travel to a range of your choosing to establish who is full of BS here. You bring your best AK and I will bring my mostly stock AR carbine. I will even add 1000.00 to the pot to make it interesting.

Hey, hey now this thread has become extra douchey. Thanks. Just for the record you're saying that an AK cannot do minute of man at 300m? Ever?

I'd note I never said I wasn't missing, only that I had no trouble hitting a static target out that far.

Ive never fully understood the negative bias for the AK among American gun owners. 2 different guns, 2 different ballistics but does that really matter? How many people that can hit a man size target at 300 yds with an AR15 that cant with an AK47?

all other things being equal, the AK has been holding its own against the AR since they both were invented.... or maybe its the other way around ;)

Evil Rifles...
Lets not argue over trifles...
All guns must go...
Is the battle cry , don't you know...
So in the end...
We shall not bend...
Nor give up any right...
In light of day or dark of night...

Andy

Evil Rifles...
Lets not argue over trifles...
All guns must go...
Is the battle cry , don't you know...
So in the end...
We shall not bend...
Nor give up any right...
In light of day or dark of night...

Andy
Agreed. I have Ar15s that I love dearly, and just finished a Molot Vepr 7.62x39 conversion that shoots better then my factory PSA AR15. There's room in the safe for all types of rifles.

AK's offend my sensibilities, much like Nazi stamped firearms and paraphernalia.
Although the most upsetting aspect is the price of what should otherwise be one of the cheapest semiauto rifles around. I have want of many other firearms in the $800 range before I consider an AK.
(Watch me talk smack until I go out and buy one for a great price)

Being relatively new to firearms. And swearing I wasn't going to get into long guns (too far to walk to check/change targets), I had to buy one of each! AR and AK! You may just find your self buying one once you actually get up close and personal with one. For myself I felt I needed the authenticity of a Polish AK. I'm 50% Hungarian and that's as close as I could get to owning a gun of my people. :D

A big part of the community came up in the sport through hunting and outdoorsmanship, and the AK doesn't fit that mold. At best, these folks view AK's as un-American, which is not entirely fair, because so many AK's are now machined and assembled in the USA.

Gosh I must really be low....I've got a CZ, Tanfoglio and German Mauser training rifle. :eek:

Strange to see members of the forum playing the "My toys are better than your toys" games though.

I have a way to settle the AK vs AR argument. Step off 300 yds, meters if you prefer.
Allow someone/anyone to fire 5 rounds at you from the platform you don't like . . . Any takers??? I didn't think so!

Sheldon

Being relatively new to firearms. And swearing I wasn't going to get into long guns (too far to walk to check/change targets), I had to buy one of each! AR and AK! You may just find your self buying one once you actually get up close and personal with one. For myself I felt I needed the authenticity of a Polish AK. I'm 50% Hungarian and that's as close as I could get to owning a gun of my people. :D

Gosh I must really be low....I've got a CZ, Tanfoglio and German Mauser training rifle. :eek:

Strange to see members of the forum playing the "My toys are better than your toys" games though.
My wife is Hungarian, We spent a Week there last year with her relatives........buy a Steyr M95. Classic Hungarian arm, very high quality interesting inexpensive rifle, I have a carbine that looks unfired............

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR