JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have to say a couple things about this thread.

First: manual of arms is simple with the AK. If you find it difficult then practice more.

Second: accuracy is a mute point. It depends on the person behind the rifle, ammunition quality, and amount of practice with said rifle.

Third: I can hit 8" steel with the subpar Russian steel cased ammunition at 500+ yards. Who cares about 1" grouping? Last I knew they, neither rifle, were competition rifles. Thought they were meant for combat.

Fourth: if the standard AR15/M4 was so great why is it that the military is looking at having DMR in 308?

Fifth: at 300 yards they both have about the same ft/lbs of energy. The 762x39 does drop twice as much as the 556. Don't forget the 556 is half the grains. 62 vs 123. I realize that it doesn't amount to a lot but, still.

Sixth: how many limbs are destroyed by an AR in comparison to an AK at the same distances?

Now: I have an AR and I am building one currently. Would I trade or get rid of it? Nope! I love both platforms!

Next: for me I would not want to be on the receiving end of either.

As far as evil rifle... no such thing. It's about zealous gun grabbers and how they want us to be in fear of things so we rely more on them and they can reap the benefits.

Last Edited:
Fourth: if the standard AR15/M4 was so great why is it that the military is looking at having DMR in 308?
Because not every theater of operation is the same and the designated marksman covers distances the average shooter doesn't. However, they also have DMRs in 5.56 (using 77 gr Mk262). Just like how on the other continents there's the PSL and Tabuk sniper rifle, the PSL being in 7.62x54R and the Tabuk in 7.62x39.
First: manual of arms is simple with the AK. If you find it difficult then practice more.
Course, but they have aftermarket support where you can still change it if you want. For example: My eyesight hinders me when I'm not using a scope or aperture sight, its simple enough to get an aperture sight and doesn't break bank. It also leaves me with an AK that I prefer over an AR (and longer sight radius than most ARs to boot).
Second: accuracy is a mute point. It depends on the person behind the rifle, ammunition quality, and amount of practice with said rifle.
Accuracy is important to an extent. However, even with steel case ammo the AK is plenty accurate, people just don't want to admit they just aren't good with an AK while others are. If it was the "inaccurate POS" the internet BS says it is, there would not be DMRs based on the design.
Third: I can hit 8" steel with the subpar Russian steel cased ammunition at 500+ yards. Who cares about 1" grouping? Last I knew they, neither rifle, were competition rifles. Thought they were meant for combat.
I can do the same too with Russkie ammo, but subpar it is not unless its tulammo (barnaul stuff my AK likes, especially the hotter Monarch ammo). That being said, ARs do get used in competition. AKs I'd take to a class and not worry about the internals getting too dirty.

There are things you can do to an AK to improve accuracy, or to an extent ergonomics. Just cause you can doesn't mean you have to, purpose of options is that they are optional. I don't like picatinny rails on an AK, but they exist so its an option for those who do.

Because not every theater of operation is the same and the designated marksman covers distances the average shooter doesn't. However, they also have DMRs in 5.56 (using 77 gr Mk262). Just like how on the other continents there's the PSL and Tabuk sniper rifle, the PSL being in 7.62x54R and the Tabuk in 7.62x39.

Course, but they have aftermarket support where you can still change it if you want. For example: My eyesight hinders me when I'm not using a scope or aperture sight, its simple enough to get an aperture sight and doesn't break bank. It also leaves me with an AK that I prefer over an AR (and longer sight radius than most ARs to boot).

Accuracy is important to an extent. However, even with steel case ammo the AK is plenty accurate, people just don't want to admit they just aren't good with an AK while others are. If it was the "inaccurate POS" the internet BS says it is, there would not be DMRs based on the design.

I can do the same too with Russkie ammo, but subpar it is not unless its tulammo (barnaul stuff my AK likes, especially the hotter Monarch ammo). That being said, ARs do get used in competition. AKs I'd take to a class and not worry about the internals getting too dirty.

There are things you can do to an AK to improve accuracy, or to an extent ergonomics. Just cause you can doesn't mean you have to, purpose of options is that they are optional. I don't like picatinny rails on an AK, but they exist so its an option for those who do.
I sure hope that you don't think that I don't like the AK. It's in my name. ;)

Yes I am aware that an AR is in competition shooting but still not what it was designed for. 77gr ammunition is great but most people don't have an AR with a 20+" barrel.

I sure hope that you don't think that I don't like the AK. It's in my name. ;)

Yes I am aware that an AR is in competition shooting but still not what it was designed for. 77gr ammunition is great but most people don't have an AR with a 20+" barrel.
Not at all what I thought. My comment about accuracy was in regard to people who DO think the AK is horrible for accuracy.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the average mass produced general infantry M16 isn't any more accurate than the AK47....

Not at all what I thought. My comment about accuracy was in regard to people who DO think the AK is horrible for accuracy.
its easier to blame it on the rifle especially one foreign made and with very rough and cheap as possible production. The reality is... and this is based on my own very limited but practical experience with both, is the AK47 is as accurate as an AR15 all things equal with iron sights.

ak ar 100yd 100m comparison.jpg

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the average mass produced general infantry M16 isn't any more accurate than the AK47....

its easier to blame it on the rifle especially one foreign made and with very rough and cheap as possible production. The reality is... and this is based on my own very limited but practical experience with both, is the AK47 is as accurate as an AR15 all things equal with iron sights.

View attachment 466767
Cheap when the soviet union sells the stuff to the government and said government "gives" you all the equipment for free. ;)

View attachment 466767
They also forget that the AR was done with a 1/14 twist rate which was why they tumbled so much. Then they went to 1/12 etc... they were not very accurate until they went to the 1/9.

My thing is just like watching Nuthin Fancy on YouTube talking about the 300 blackout and how terrible it was.

Any of us that knows that caliber and the fact that 158 grain Fiocci ammunition at that distance will absolutely drop quickly. But get it in 110 grain supersonic and the results are going to be extremely different. I will take just about anyone's 300 blackout with a 16" barrel and drop targets all day long with 110 grain Remington ammunition you get at Walmart. But what do I know? Oh yeah I have been shooting the round for almost 7 years now. That doesn't make me an expert but I know the effects of the ammunition depending on the grain.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top