JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you sure it's not factory stainless steel coated in Nitron? Lots of slides are made from stainless but then coated or treated with various "black" finishes.....

Are you sure it's not factory stainless steel coated in Nitrolon?

No. But unlike the pic in the link, my slide says "stainless" in the roll mark, and there is some holster wear that does show what appears to be stainless steel below.

Would depend on the age of the P226. If I recall correctly, there was a period where they were still made in W. Germany using milled stainless steel and then finished in black (as opposed to the original "folded" carbon steel slides). Those slides were marked "stainless" but were not left "raw". Eventually, they moved ALL slides over to milled stainless and stopped rolling "stainless" on them.

Now - that of course doesn't mean you can't take it down to a stainless finish. Fully strip the slide and media blast it. I've read elsewhere you can send it back to Sig and they'll do it (not sure the cost). Sounds like a quick blast with aluminum oxide to pull the finish, and then a bead blast after will give you a nice matte finish. If you wanted shiny...well - better get out the polishing compound.

BD1C6328-97C1-4353-99D8-F1D130BD4593.jpeg 1F1BDF20-5A8B-4F53-9CC8-8BDDB8307EED.jpeg
Here are the pics. I could certainly be wrong, but I don't imagine (while admittedly being a bit less familiar with proprietary firearms finishes than I should be) that the nitron finish would wear as this has. The frame is what is convincing me, as I believe the factory frames come anodized if not stainless, but I absolutely could be mistaken.

View attachment 764398View attachment 764397
Here are the pics. I could certainly be wrong, but I don't imagine (while admittedly being a bit less familiar with proprietary firearms finishes than I should be) that the nitron finish would wear as this has. The frame is what is convincing me, as I believe the factory frames come anodized if not stainless, but I absolutely could be mistaken.

That looks like the original finish on the slide. I have seen earlier alloy frames with a finish somewhat like that - they do not wear as well. What I would do is have the frame refinished if I were to do any refinishing. You can check on SIGTalk.com to see what is up with the date of manufacture by serial number.

@OldTengu Also if you bought it as a LEO trade in/turn in it shouldn't have had any other previous owners. At least not to qualify as being advertised that way. And no LE agency is going to do any mods like that to their guns.

Definitely looks like the factory finish.
Seen a lot of used Sigs like that, you could have it refinished if you don't like the holster wear, I'd probably leave it stock though unless it started developing rust.

Frame is anodized aluminum/alloy, slide is nitrated stainless...

Definitely looks like the factory finish.
Seen a lot of used Sigs like that, you could have it refinished if you don't like the holster wear, I'd probably leave it stock though unless it started developing rust.
I don't care about the wear. More than anything, I noticed something about this firearm that I hadn't previously, and not being incredibly familiar with sig's product line, drew some conclusions that appear to have been incorrect.

Interesting read here - not that it specifically answers your finish question (as others have said, that looks like the older anodized slides that just didn't wear very well).

Yours would be in that "hybrid" time-frame - Made in Germany frame (post 1995) but imported to Exeter, NH and topped off with a made-in-USA slide and barrel.

You could also weigh the empty frame (leave take the slide off). A stainless frame will be considerably heavier than an aluminum one. My P229 frame (with grips) is ~13 oz. The P226 would be a tad heavier maybe, but not much.

Interesting read here - not that it specifically answers your finish question (as others have said, that looks like the older anodized slides that just didn't wear very well).

Yours would be in that "hybrid" time-frame - Made in Germany frame (post 1995) but imported to Exeter, NH and topped off with a made-in-USA slide and barrel.

You could also weigh the empty frame (leave take the slide off). A stainless frame will be considerably heavier than an aluminum one. My P229 frame (with grips) is ~13 oz. The P226 would be a tad heavier maybe, but not much.
The frame is definitely aluminum. That's why I expected it to be anodized rather than finished the way it is.

I bought a police trade in sig p226 a few months back. Am just noticing that it is the stainless model, but was blued by its previous owner. Best ways to restore it to it's previous finish?
Pics coming soon.
What those guys said.
You can touch up that alloy frame with Alumablack from Brownells.

I have a number of "two tone" SIGs where the slide is a matte stainless finish and the frame is black. They look ok, but I prefer all black. I kind of like the all black with "white" controls.

226-nightmare-left-web-1.jpg

Most P22X SIGs in the wild are steel slide (most of those are stainless) and alloy frame. The "all steel" guns (mostly a 226 or 220) are less common as they are more costly to manufacture and SIG charges more for them. They are also in more demand. I have not shot or handled any of the all steel SIGs, but I imagine they are even better to shoot due to what I imagine is probably a better balance and more weight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top