JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was UNAWARE of this until today. A friends CWP renewal 'notice' came from the Washington State Dept of Licensing instead of from the county in December/2021.
So, "if" there's no "tracking/registration" of who/whom has CWP's, then why in the hell is the State involved?
I want answers!
Right at the moment..I'm one po'd individual..!

FWIW, I sent my request to my legislators to get an answer. This is BS!

Dan

Last Edited:
Uh huh. So have you filled out a 4473 ever? Got a hunting license for a firearm related season? The government knows who has guns, don't kid yourself.

It is a state issued license, like your driver's license. And since the fees are taxes, the taxing authority sends renewals because they want the tax money.

Nothing is done locally - not since GCA68.

I was UNAWARE of this until today. A friends CWP renewal 'notice' came from the Washington State Dept of Licensing instead of from the county in December/2021.
So, "if" there's no "tracking/registration" of who/whom has CWP's, then why in the hell is the State involved?
I want answers!
Right at the moment..I'm one po'd individual..!

FWIW, I sent my request to my legislators to get an answer. This is BS!

Dan
Well not sure who told you that our CPL's are not tracked but they either lied to you or they just do not know how it works. If an LEO runs my tags on any of my vehicles they will see my name, my Wife's name, and it will show them we both have current CPL's. Its been like this for a very long time here. When you get a permit here, CPL, its just like getting any kind of State Issued license. We get our CPL's in the county or city listed as our residence but it is a State license.

Additionally, your info is run through the state criminal database (WACIC in WA) and the Interstate Identification Index ("triple I") as well as the National Crime Information Center (NCIC). Any disqualifiying conviction or adjudication of mental incompetence will be noted, as will (any) outstanding arrest warrants issued, and potentially arrests with charges pending.

Last Edited:
A county sheriff was in the parking lot so we asked him to run my friends license. No CWP popped up on the state (cursory) level per se but was available at the county (in house) level, if that makes sense. He had to dig deeper to find the CWP. Unk how it shows up if a state trooper runs his license.
We already knew about the 4473 list but weren't aware the state has people on their CWP list.
In addition, the deputy showed us there's a medical notice that's forth coming. IE: If we have any medical issues..like heart conditions, diabetic and so on.. It was on the computer screen at the bottom.

Dan

A county sheriff was in the parking lot so we asked him to run my friends license. No CWP popped up on the state (cursory) level per se but was available at the county (in house) level, if that makes sense. He had to dig deeper to find the CWP. Unk how it shows up if a state trooper runs his license.
We already knew about the 4473 list but weren't aware the state has people on their CWP list.
In addition, the deputy showed us there's a medical notice that's forth coming. IE: If we have any medical issues..like heart conditions, diabetic and so on.. It was on the computer screen at the bottom.

Dan
Either your Sheriff does not really know how to use his MDS or he was not wanting to let you see exactly what they bring up. The tag to a vehicle will not show the vehicle has CPL and we do not issue them to vehicles. Running the tag will show who the registered owner, or owners are. Along with whether the tags are up to date. If the Officer hits any of the names on the owners list it tells him if they have a current Drivers License and if they have a WA CPL that is current.
Again not sure who keeps telling you we even have CWP's here as we do not. Now other states do, as each state has a different writing of the law. Some states offer these to residents who do not live in their state and are good in other states. Utah is one I see people getting for this reason. Maybe this is what is causing the confusion? If someone live in WA, does not have a WA CPL, but does have a non resident CWP from another state? That may not pop up without some searching.

Last Edited:
I just refer CPL's as CWP's.
The deputy showed us the screens. The 1st pull up, what I'll call the state, doesn't show any CPL's. He had to dig deeper in different something to show the CPL. It's more through the county according to what he said. My friend has a Wa. State CPL.
The screens were what came up via my friends drivers license #.

Dan

I just refer CPL's as CWP's.
The deputy showed us the screens. The 1st pull up, what I'll call the state, doesn't show any CPL's. He had to dig deeper in different something to show the CPL. It's more through the county according to what he said. My friend has a Wa. State CPL.
The screens were what came up via my friends drivers license #.

Dan
It's kind of splitting hairs like "magazine" vs "clip".

But I lost all of mine in a tragic boating accident.
You and umpteen million other gun owners...
This is why the sea levels are rising, not global warming.............it's all lies I tell ya, lies.........

It's kind of splitting hairs like "magazine" vs "clip".

12049357_616822698487139_9039275395476219547_n.jpg

Next thing you'll learn is that the internet tracks your every keystroke!

Can't track what you don't have. Just be a criminal….. it works for everyone else. And on the west coast the Liberal DAs will feel for you and you'll be out the same day. Probably without charges. They may even just give you your gun back.

Magnet fishing going to get real popular in the near future.
LOL, there was a story other day of a guy and his grand kid I think it was doing the magnet thing. Pulled up a couple parts of Barrett 50BMG's. That would be the one problem with this. If I was doing it and pulled up a nice gun I could clean up. I would be scared to just keep it, not knowing its crime history but it would seem a shame to have to give it to the Police never to be seen again :confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top