Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Some Info on a shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by RadMadkins, Mar 29, 2011.

1. RadMadkins

RadMadkins Oregon New Member

Hey i just got a western field M175B 20 GA and i wondered if anyone had any useful info on it. The barrel has been sawed down so the c-lect choke is no longer on it. How do i tell its all in good working order?

2. jyerxa

jyerxa Graham Member

shoot it.

3. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Monkey Wards House brand I think. My Grandfathers 16ga pump was a Westernfield. Must have been shot 20K times before a lug busted on the bolt ending its usefull life.

5. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

Gun smith

6. gunslinger1911

gunslinger1911 WA state Member

dissasemble it, inspect the parts, oil the parts, re-asseble it, check the action, run some snap caps thru it...shoot it

7. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

Measure the barrel, needs to be at least 18". (verification required)

8. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

I had the 12 ga version which I loaned to a buddy who lives at the coast area and he reports that it was remarkably handy for nailing Starlings. In fact that's why he borrowed it. He kept it for 3 years. Reports that once the flock figured out the effective range, he never saw them come back into range if he was there. If they saw him drive off however, wife reported that they came back. Smart birds.

When it finally came back I didn't have room for it so I gave it to my son at college and he's been fairly accurate with clays. Amazing for such an inexpensive shotgun.