JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay so I bought a XD .40 from a Northwest Armory, we all thought it was duracoat OD Green. I'm not holding it against them because I really do want to believe them. it looked real nice when I got it..

Now... not so much...

I want to get this crap off my gun.. but I don't want to damage the Finnish that is under the paint..
Suggestions? Ideas? How to's Please! :)

pour some lacquer thinner in a glass/metal cup, stick a toothbrush in it, and start scrubbing. wipe with plenty of clean paper towels and make sure your work area is very well ventilated. it's not going to hurt the finish... i've done it a bajillion times

the paint will start to dissolve immediately.. with good wiping, you should be done in like 20 minutes

---

something to think about, though.... why take the paint off? the rattle-can paint on my glock doesn't look any better, but i see absolutely zero reason to remove it or repaint it.. i didn't buy it for looks, i don't carry it for looks, and i certainly don't shoot it for looks. just me, though.. some people are vain. :-D

I vote for being vain! If you are concerned about the above do-it-yourself methods, just take the slide off and ship it to one of the vendors on here who Cerakote. I had my Glock 27 slide done in OD green @ South Ridge Arms, looks great. They will clean/strip whatever is on the slide before they coat it, so you can ship it to them with that custom spray paint job as is.

Hey everyone I wanted to say thank you to all of you for the great advice.. I ended up going with mineral spirits (odorless) which was a little too light but with some gentle scrapping with my S&W knife (after trying a variety of plastics) lol I ended up with a look that I THINK i want to keep.. ultimately I am not selling this gun, its my everyday carry, But I wanted to ask what everyone thinks of what I ended up with.. I think that once money is a little better in my world I may have it professionally redone to match this..

I think that if you really like the accent color you have now you should send it out and have that done professionally. If you are really happy with it as is, more power to you and enjoy your firearm!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top