JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a custom built 2011 in 40sw that needs a tune up. Been having some issues with rounds getting extracted during the last match. I really don't want to experiment and try to fix it myself but would rather have a qualified professional look over it and figure out whats going on. I am in Camas but willing to travel some. Really want to find someone who works on 1911/2011s. TIA.

Shepherd Custom Arms in Brownsville, OR use to build custom 1911/2011's besides being a shooter. If I needed any 1911/2011 type of work it is who I would call first. He has been around them a long time but I am not sure how much work he takes on now. I don't think he has his website anymore but still is active on Facebook.

Not enough info...let's flesh this out a bit.

Explain in more detail what "...rounds getting extracted" means...what is happening?
It was happening during a USPSA match this weekend and I was trying to clear the jam quickly so I didn't stop and take a really good look. I am not even sure I can accurately explain so don't want to waste anyone's time. Ether the spent round wasn't being ejected or the new round would not fully chamber into the barrel breach. Which I find hard to comprehend given I chamber checked each round I loaded the night before.

Not being smart….
I have no real idea of what's happening….
Not a smith….
I doubt it's dirty…. But sounds dirty
Just ignore me…

It was happening during a USPSA match this weekend and I was trying to clear the jam quickly so I didn't stop and take a really good look. I am not even sure I can accurately explain so don't want to waste anyone's time. Ether the spent round wasn't being ejected or the new round would not fully chamber into the barrel breach. Which I find hard to comprehend given I chamber checked each round I loaded the night before.
You're not wasting my time, just trying understand the problem.

We've gone from a problem with rounds getting extract to having a jam...two different things.

Let's start with the jam...what did it look like...position of live and/or spent round.

I think so. Seems the round would fire but the new round would not go into battery. I would drop the mag, extract the round by racking the slide, jam a new mag into the gun, rack the slide and keep shooting

If it were me, I would think step 1 would be to take it out and reproduce the failure under conditions where you could take the time to examine exactly what the failure is.

FTE, FTC, what round count in the mag, which mag, have you switched lubes... are all questions I would examine.

Not knowing... you could be looking at an ejector issue, an extractor, a weak mag spring, follower wear, slide heat expansion, a lube cookoff... I mean... so far I haven't read anything that would really narrow much down and could be just about anything.

You can simply take it into a smith and have them try to reproduce it, but it'll likely run you more just for them to get headed in the right direction and may result in unnecessary part exchanges trying to track it down. IOW, it would be incredibly helpful and cost saving if you could explain exactly what the issue is and give them a starting point to investigate.

If it were me, I would think step 1 would be to take it out and reproduce the failure under conditions where you could take the time to examine exactly what the failure is.

FTE, FTC, what round count in the mag, which mag, have you switched lubes... are all questions I would examine.

Not knowing... you could be looking at an ejector issue, an extractor, a weak mag spring, follower wear, slide heat expansion, a lube cookoff... I mean... so far I haven't read anything that would really narrow much down and could be just about anything.

You can simply take it into a smith and have them try to reproduce it, but it'll likely run you more just for them to get headed in the right direction and may result in unnecessary part exchanges trying to track it down. IOW, it would be incredibly helpful and cost saving if you could explain exactly what the issue is and give them a starting point to investigate.
I had one and really pissed me off for a bit and did not want the hassle of sending it back to the manufacture. It did end up being the extractor after several adjustments and using Lucas gun oil problem is gone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top