JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been wanting another 1911 for a while now. In the past I've had a S&W 5" Stainless, a Kimber TLE II, and a Kimber Pro Carry II. I'm having a hard time deciding on which size I want to get. I really liked the size of the Pro Carry, but I also like the full sizes, and I was able to carry the 5" pretty easily. I carry a Glock 26 now, IWB, but plan to sell it and buy either a Kimber, Springfield, or Colt. My goal is to keep it aroud $750-900 initially. My goal for the gun is to look decent, shoot great, and be super reliable. I want a working gun. I know a lot of guns come with MIM parts now days, and I will eventually want to change out the MIM parts for milled parts. What is your expert advise? The only reason I'm leaning away from Springfield is because some frames are made in Brazil, I don't want anything but a US made 1911. Should I step up to a Colt? If I do, I don't want it to say "1991 A1" on the side. Should I go with a 4" or 5"? Stainless or blued/coated? If it is not stainless, I will want to get it parkerized. The Springfield Loaded is looking pretty nice, but is it a Brazilian gun? Thanks for any advise.

what about STI? the trojan is all usa (no mim) and is a hell of a gun for the money. i think they are about 1k new. have seen some used ones for 900 and a little under before

Your budget is the limiting factor. It sounds like you want a top notch gun. Why not go with a Caspian frame and slide and build the rest as you please? For another $200 in smithing time you can have it all done for you for roughly $1100. That's a top quality custom 1911 for the smallest money you'll find out there.

Of the 3 you mention, I would go with Colt. They still make them to original specs, and of quality solid steel.

Colt only uses 2 MIM parts, the sear and disconnector and they are pretty hard.

The 1991A1 is long since gone, so you won't have to worry about a new Colt with that roll-mark.

I would look for a good used Colt, a Series 70 or older...but the new Series 70's are very good base guns in which to build from, should you choose that route.

Sadly there's not a production 1911 that I would trust my life with out of the box, without first having it looked over and tuned for reliability.

Watch out for the models with all the bells & whistles, they look good...but there's another side to things once you look under the hood.

I pack a 1911 everyday, and own nothing else.

To me it is counter productive to buy a gun with MIM parts and pay extra to replace them with better parts, buy a Dan Wesson and be done with it, yes, they are more expensive, but they are very nice and worth every penny.
I recently had my first MIM part breakage, really makes me angry what is happening to American manufacturing. I understand they are trying to compete with both hands tied behind their backs because of over regulation, but as long as a company like DW makes guns without MIM they have no excuse. I believe Kimber has a higher percentage of MIM than any other, and often they share Colt's rotten habit of selling guns with a plastic main spring housing dyed to look like steel. As a manufacturer myself (On a very small scale) I consider such practices to be dishonest in taking advantage of people who can't tell good materials from junk, many many guns today with famous old names are even made with zinc alloy, which my dad always called pot metal. I've not seen many pots made with such cheap material, so it's defamatory to pot makers.

Before I knew better, my EDC was a Kimber CDP Pro. Could not get over the plastic MSH, so had that replaced with an alloy one. Next trip to the range, the mag catch broke into two pieces. Once that was fixed the gun was sold. No more MIM for me thank you very much, or alloy frames. Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Wilson Combat all make fine guns and make them right.

I just saw a very nice stainless Colt Commander Lightweight in a pawn shop for (I believe ) $799, in the box. Looked like a decent deal to me. I thought, then walked away! If you're interested, send me a PM. It's close to Portland.

Call me a snob if you will, but I'm very partial to Colts and Dan Wessons. May cost a bit more, but they have proven to me to be worth the money.

To me it is counter productive to buy a gun with MIM parts and pay extra to replace them with better parts, buy a Dan Wesson and be done with it, yes, they are more expensive, but they are very nice and worth every penny.
I recently had my first MIM part breakage, really makes me angry what is happening to American manufacturing. I understand they are trying to compete with both hands tied behind their backs because of over regulation, but as long as a company like DW makes guns without MIM they have no excuse. I believe Kimber has a higher percentage of MIM than
any other, and often they share Colt's rotten habit of selling guns with a plastic main spring housing dyed to look like steel. As a manufacturer myself (On a very small scale) I consider such practices to be dishonest in taking advantage of people who can't tell good materials from junk, many many guns today with famous old names are even made with zinc alloy, which my dad always called pot metal. I've not seen many pots made with such cheap material, so it's defamatory to pot makers.

You beat me to the punch partsproduction. I was just gonna suggest the DW. They are great guns made with very high quality parts. May be a little more than the op is wanting to spend but you will notice the extra quality and fine craftsmanship once it's in your hands. I have never heard a Dan wesson owner complain about anything on these guns. Only good reviews. My pm7 is the most accurate, nicest gun I own and is worth every penny.

Somebody beat me to it. Pick up either DW Guardian if you want commander size, or hunt for an older Valor or similiar full size. I love Springfields and if budget is a factor would go there next.

Ive had a hard on for the Ruger sr1911 lately. No special reason why except I love Rugers ever since Bill died.

I completely forgot! I bought a Ruger SR1911 when I saw one. We have not shot it too much, but everyone that shoots it loves it. The wife liked it so much I gave it to her.
I only have one complaint with that gun. It has a chamber that doesn't have much leade and you really have to watch the seating depth on reloads.

Technically if you want a true 1911 that would be a Colt. All the rest are built on a 1911 platform which is fine with me, but they're not 1911's. Kimber doesn't make an officer, they make a officer size. Wesson doesn't make an commander, they make a commander size. And non of them make a government, but make a government size. That being said, I own a pre CZ Dan Wesson, and once owned a Clackamas Kimber. Both were and are dependable and accurate, but no more so than any of my Colts. I also respect Glock over the rest of the plastic out there. Just like Colt, they were the first and everything else is a copy IMO.

Lol, I wish I was at the level where I could forget I bought a new 1911.

I'm not sure what "level" that is, but I really hope it's not "old-timers"!:huh:

And to Swoop, What about Remington-Rand, Singer, Ithaca and all of the others that made 1911A1s for WWI and WWII?:s0155: Still love your member picture!

I'm not sure what "level" that is, but I really hope it's not "old-timers"!:huh:

And to Swoop, What about Remington-Rand, Singer, Ithaca and all of the others that made 1911A1s for WWI and WWII?:s0155: Still love your member picture!

You're right about that. There were others that helped in the war effort, but Colt is the only survivor still making them far as I know. Do have a Ithaca shotgun that I would never part with.:D

And you can say a colt is a copy of brownings design. Or the only ar15 is colts and everything else is a copy yet they are called 1911s and ar15s. Whatever......

Regardless, there are some fine suggestions for 1911s in this thread. Sounds like the op should take a trip to the gun show next weekend and handle a few.

I also respect Glock over the rest of the plastic out there. Just like Colt, they were the first and everything else is a copy IMO.

That is not true Glock was not the first Polymer pistol, They might say it but Heckler & Koch did it first with the VP 70 Pistol about 15 years before Glock did. Thats not to say Glocks are not great guns.

On the Op I would say you really can't go wrong with any of the guns that have been mentioned here. I have a Springfield GI and love it.

I like Springfield for the fact that there is no finicky firing pin safety and they cost less than a colt. The main complaint that I hear is that the frames are forged in brazil rather than the USA and the way they manufacture their barrels. (2 pieces of steel). I've had a couple springers and never had any problems with either of those issues. Everybody else has also made great suggestions!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top