JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last time I EVER use this weapon for anything but punchin paper. Had a raccoon living underneath the pump house. My dog has got into it with these critters before and last time he lost half his ear.

Grabbed the 22 as to not not piss off the neighbors too much. Layed in the mud stuck my head and barrell underneath the shed and plugged him about four times. Then the little bastard came charging my face like a spider monkey, I rolled out of the way and my dog grabbed it as it came running out. First reaction was to butt stroke that thing right in the head, bad idea. The lower receiver broke from the butt stock instantly where the rear retainer pin is.

So my long winded question is can I buy stripped lowers and from where?
Thanks

PS: ran inside grabbed my 40 cal, one shot merc'd it.

4 shots from a .22 ought to be enough for anything short of coonzilla

I used to trap in the Ozarks in the 1970's when coon prices started at $25 (that would buy you 2 tanks of gas in those days). I can tell you that it's not that easy to kill a coon with a .22. They are VERY though critters. The best story I ever heard about it was a trapper who shot a coon with his .22, removed it from the trap, and threw the carcass into his aluminum boat. As he was running down the lake toward his next set the coon wakes up and starts coming at him. He pulls out his .22 pistol and shoots it another 3 times. Of course, now he has 3 .22 caliber holes in the bottom of his boat spouting water.:s0114:

When I was young I was at my ex-inlaws house and some teenagers came up and asked me to put a hedgehog they had run over out of its misery.

All I had with me was a Star PD in .45 ACP.

It took two shots, the second to the head, to kill it where it stopped moving.

Wild animals don't know they are supposed to die when they get shot.

So you missed him 3 and 1/2 times, made him mad, and tried to take him out with the butt of a plastic gun? Bahahahahahah!!!!! Too funny!! I taped a plastic picnic knife to mine sorta like a bayonet! Looked pretty good till it just snaped off first time I tried to take out a opossum I grazed. Ditch that 4rnd mag for a 25rnd! (just havin fun with you!) Good luck on your next hunt! Seriously doubt you will find a lower out there. Send your whole rifle back to S&W for replacement. It wont be free but, I'd bet they would replace it. Some places will destroy your lower and reissue you a replacement with the same #'s on it. Other than that you will have to go FFL again to get the replacement that has new #s.

I don't think a gun is made to use as a club!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Buy a lower from PalmettoStateArmory.com - they go on sale for ~$50-70. Curts in Milwaukee had some for like $80 last time I was in there. Fisherman's had them for $90, prices have come way down and they are out there.

ETA: Just saw you're up north. Hopefully someone will chime in with a shop or two on that side of the river, or PSA. And hopefully S&W gets you a new one :) Good luck.

Last Edited:
If you go with just a standard ar lower you can get what I believe is called a bettermag adaptor which allows you to use the mp-15/22 mags in a ar lower and retains the bolt hold open.

this is where most of the polymer AR lowers fail, so it's nothing specific to the M&P - it's just a universal stress point in the design, which was never really meant to be made of any non-metallic material.

good luck with your repairs.

I am under the impression that neither the upper or lower from the 15-22 are standard. I don't think that you will be able to buy just a standard lower, or am I wrong?

I have personally watched a .22 ricochet off the skull of a 'coon. 20ish feet away, incredibly lucky hit right between the eyes...and the round pinged off it's head before the animal growled and ran off.

Please keep dogs away from them when at all possible. Dogs are no match.

My friend's 40lb healthy Pitbull was torn to shreds and dying within less than a minute when he caught one in their yard last year. So sad. The dog was awesome, not mean or uncontrollable. Just left out unattended in their fence yard for his evening pee.

Reminds me of when I was in boot camp.

There was the "honor guard" guys in a special class, who did all the rifle twirling and stamping and butt stroking of the rifle against the hard pavement, etc.

They used M1 Garands, never the AR15 because those would fall apart too easily.

Even so, the Garands could only take so much punishment, and every once in a while they would hit the butt of the rifle on the ground and the stock would fall apart. If during a practice it was funny, if during an actual display with audience, then embarrassing (they used a different set of rifles for practice).

Had a friend who was out on field maneuvers during some war games. He slipped in the mud and fell face down on his AR. It twisted the fore-end such that the gas tube broke and pretty much rendered the rifle a single shot. This and other reasons are why I prefer the Kalashnikov platform.

They are cute, mean, aggressive, creatures that don't deserve a place to live on the planet!

mad-raccoon.jpg

I've read where someone had an issue with their M&P 15-22 stock tube being out of spec and sent it in for warranty. S&W said they would replace the lower under warranty, but also said they'd have to send it back to an FFL and another background check would have to be run...and that they wouldn't pay for the background check. That is actually wrong, they can replace the lower as a repair and send it back directly to the owner. Just a heads up in case you attempt to have S&W repair it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top