JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We are in the process of buying a house, and it was easier to do from here. Not to mention I can see it from the apartment above my mother's garage that we are staying in while working toward closing.

When we signed the contract, I put no trespass signs up at all of the gates, in an attempt to keep the neighborhood kids out of the yard and from falling out of the huge treehouse. 2 nights ago, my brother called and said I had to get down to the house because their were kids back there. I walked down, and he had the police on the phone, so we went ahead and had the little bubblegums cited for trespass and entered them into the system.

Now I'm thinking security for the purpose of preventing retaliation. I know they have "gang" ties, lol, as much as there could be a bad *** gang in Medford, but I figure its just a matter of time before their buddies show up and try to harm the house.

I am not a huge fan of the Medford PD, but the officer was a good guy (K-9), and handled it quick and painless.

This is line of sight and fairly close?
Go to Home Depot and get a wireless motion sensor or two. They're like $18. You can plug in whatever you like in the receivers (the sensors take batteries).. lights, stereo, whatever.. to let them and or just you know that something's going down. They work great.

Yeah, you'll want to deal with this asap and avoid any future interaction with anyone with such ties--no matter how tenuous or imagined.
You probably understand why, but PM if it's not clear. I'm west of you in the hills.

Also, it'd probably be a good idea to have some good insurance on the property in case it burns to the ground and or that attractive nuisance of a tree house results in an injury or death of an inquisitive child.

I get that they really want to be real gang bangers, but after you've been shot at by dumbasses in the desert who want to kill you, these little punks don't worry me much. And I was born and raised in this valley, I'm not about to be intimidated out of it.

I do intend to hook up some sort of motion detection system, it has the motion lights but the bulbs are out...I'll replace those. As far as insurance goes, it's all insured, so if there is any retaliation, we have kids cited and covered. The treehouse was the reason I marked everything so well with the no trespassing signs, if a kid is dumb enough to walk right past the sign and fall out of a treehouse with no access ladder, then I guess that's their deal...I guess that's probably heartless, but too bad.

I get that they really want to be real gang bangers, but after you've been shot at by dumbasses in the desert who want to kill you, these little punks don't worry me much. And I was born and raised in this valley, I'm not about to be intimidated out of it.

I do intend to hook up some sort of motion detection system, it has the motion lights but the bulbs are out...I'll replace those. As far as insurance goes, it's all insured, so if there is any retaliation, we have kids cited and covered. The treehouse was the reason I marked everything so well with the no trespassing signs, if a kid is dumb enough to walk right past the sign and fall out of a treehouse with no access ladder, then I guess that's their deal...I guess that's probably heartless, but too bad.

even bumbazzes get lucky once in a while.

Is the tree house a big deal to you? If not, why don't you tear it down and that part of the problem is done. Also, do you know your new neighbors very well? Meet them and talk about setting up a neighborhood watch program and then the police have to be more involved.

I wouldn't tear down the treehouse, or the tree. People need to stay off your property. I know it's the law, and I'm not being sarcastic; was there some landmark case that meant that even if some little moron kid snuck onto your property without your consent, you could be held liable for any injuries they suffered?

This damn law is the only reason I haven't invested in punji sticks and landmines in my yard.:s0114:

I wouldn't tear down the treehouse, or the tree. People need to stay off your property. I know it's the law, and I'm not being sarcastic; was there some landmark case that meant that even if some little moron kid snuck onto your property without your consent, you could be held liable for any injuries they suffered?

This damn law is the only reason I haven't invested in punji sticks and landmines in my yard.:s0114:

You have different responsibilities and expectations depending if they're invited or trespassing. I don't have time to go into detail at the moment but will check on this later in the day.

You have different responsibilities and expectations depending if they're invited or trespassing. I don't have time to go into detail at the moment but will check on this later in the day.

Thanks drew. That makes sense. Obviously if you invite people to use the treehouse or trampoline and they snap their necks, then I'm on the hook. But if some moron kids hop up there while I'm away, I don't see how that's my problem.

If those kids who were trespassed on Speeddemons property, still trespass and hurt themselves somehow, has he insulated himself from that?

Thanks drew. That makes sense. Obviously if you invite people to use the treehouse or trampoline and they snap their necks, then I'm on the hook. But if some moron kids hop up there while I'm away, I don't see how that's my problem.

If those kids who were trespassed on Speeddemons property, still trespass and hurt themselves somehow, has he insulated himself from that?

This does a decent job of explaining an overview. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trespasser#Duties_to_trespassers

You have to do more for people lawfully on the property.
<broken link removed>

The treehouse is an attractive nuisance but fences should address that issue. Booby traps can make you civilly and criminally liable. Stick with razor wire and warning signs. ;)

Most of this is common law and shouldn't differ greatly state to state. I'm not a lawyer though.

You should get signs that say, "Protected by the Zimmerman Act"

LOL! My brother and I discussed sitting up in a recliner in the treehouse in the dark and waiting for a kid to come up and then asking if they had any skittles, while letting a slide fly home.

But seriously, the yard is fenced, it is clearly marked "no trespassing" and I will be shortly locking all of the gates. The problem is, these aren't high fences and the city will not allow barbed wire. Once the sale is completely final, I'll be applying for a permit to build a 6 or 8 foot block wall down the side of the house, not just for security, but to block noise as well. Just have to get there first.

I am pretty sure, since the house is not occupied at the moment, by taking the access to the treehouse away, as well as posting no trespassing signs, there is no way my father or I could be held liable if one of the little dirtbags fell and broke their neck. They'd have a real tough time of it anyhow.

You should get signs that say, "Protected by the Zimmerman Act"
LOL! My brother and I discussed sitting up in a recliner in the treehouse in the dark and waiting for a kid to come up and then asking if they had any skittles, while letting a slide fly home.

But seriously, the yard is fenced, it is clearly marked "no trespassing" and I will be shortly locking all of the gates. The problem is, these aren't high fences and the city will not allow barbed wire. Once the sale is completely final, I'll be applying for a permit to build a 6 or 8 foot block wall down the side of the house, not just for security, but to block noise as well. Just have to get there first.

I am pretty sure, since the house is not occupied at the moment, by taking the access to the treehouse away, as well as posting no trespassing signs, there is no way my father or I could be held liable if one of the little dirtbags fell and broke their neck. They'd have a real tough time of it anyhow.
Maybe add some dirtbag free zone signs. It works so well for guns. :rolleyes:

Get a dog, walk him every night. It pushes the bad peeps father away.

That is on the agenda...

Maybe add some dirtbag free zone signs. It works so well for guns. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know, signs were made to be ignored...As far as what someone said about knowing my neighbors, My brother lives across the street, and my mom lives next door to him. It's been our corner since 1979, and I intend to keep it that way.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top