JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It only took about 15 minutes to go down to the Sheriff's office and renew my 2nd amendment rights and CHL. Filled out application and took new picture. New card will be in the mail. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but nicely asked the clerk, are we going to have licenses for the 1st amendment or any other rights? She just smiled. I said I understand having a license to drive, because that is a privilege and not a right. She seemed to agree with me. I paid my $50 and left. Its better to be legal and not worry about anything!

I've thought much the same way to.

Driving is a privilege.

The 2nd Amendment is a pay to play privilege. Otherwise if it were a right we wouldn't have to pay to carry concealed (much like how the Army told me if they wanted me to have a wife they would issue me one). That and your right to own is granted on one paper, while another called a 4473 can say NO!

I got another year before its my turn to renew my "if i pay can i" pass.

(PS, I get its a state by state issue. But honestly if you advocate for the 2A and muh freedumbs why is it ok to restrict this?)

$50 for 4 years. That's $.03 per day, basically $1.00/month.

And I find the analogy in the OP strange. You aren't paying for your 2A rights. The right to keep and bear arms is still alive....for now. Nowhere in the 2nd does it say anything about carrying concealed. Yeah yeah, I've heard the arguments MANY times since this topic has been beaten to death here.

@Hayharnel glad you renewed.

Actually he brings up a great point.

Has anyone ever tried to get CC attached to the constitution? was there ever a court case for this or any legislation?

And I find the analogy in the OP strange. You aren't paying for your 2A rights. The right to keep and bear arms is still alive....for now. Nowhere in the 2nd does it say anything about carrying concealed. Yeah yeah, I've heard the arguments MANY times since this topic has been beaten to death here.

When open carry is banned, such as in Portland, and Beaverton one is literally paying for the right to bear arms.

When open carry is banned, such as in Portland, and Beaverton one is literally paying for the right to bear arms.

I think it's more like we're paying to have the state check and make sure we aren't prohibited for some reason.

Nothing new to see here, Oregon has had a CHL system for 30 years now.

I think it's more like we're paying to have the state check and make sure we aren't prohibited for some reason.

Nothing new to see here, Oregon has had a CHL system for 30 years now.
Actually it is literally the right to bear arms. If open carry is banned, then without a fee one cannot exercise constitutional rights. Ergo one IS paying for the right to bear arms.

Actually it is literally the right to bear arms. If open carry is banned, then without a fee one cannot exercise constitutional rights. Ergo one IS paying for the right to bear arms.

Ok then. Still nothing new and complaining about it won't change anything. I've never seen or heard of any proposed legislation to get rid of the CHL system soooo.........what's the point?

But you forgot the part about needing to pass your CHL check. If you don't pass that you don't pass a 4473 so its a system that works!....up until repeat felony offenders just some how keep getting their hands on a repeating device which is supposed to be kept in check from said laws that work!.

But thats only if you want to CC. Otherwise your option is move to a free state or just don't CC and keep your 2A private. So one way or the other you end up paying for it depending on your location. Would BGC fees count in this department too?

I don't have a huge issue with renewing CHL, because in the grand scheme things, it doesn't amount to anything. I still think it, and the overwhelming majority of the activities of our local, state, and federal government is a load of crap that shouldn't exist. Yes, I'm going to comply with their rules because I value my freedom and property, not because I see any merit in their licensing system. The bad guy who carries illegally is going to continue to do so regardless of what I or the authorities do.

One thing I like about Arizona is they, like several other states, have transitioned to Constitutional Carry. They don't appear to have any issue after making the move and people who want to pack don't have to burn up time during a work day or spend a pineapple. Ditto the clerk that works for the sheriff's office; he or she can do more productive tasks.

Meh.

Yet again ,"...shall not be infringed" is conveniently ignored. Were it not, obviously making it unlawful to carry concealed would be infringing upon keeping and bearing something.

Moreover, arguing that the 2A doesn't not specifically define concealed carry as a right is tantamount to arguing that the internet, television and radio are not guaranteed vehicles of speech as they're not listed in the 1A as it only states "press" which obviously means a printing press.....

Ok then. Still nothing new and complaining about it won't change anything. I've never seen or heard of any proposed legislation to get rid of the CHL system soooo.........what's the point?
Pointing out that we are accepting of a direct constitutional infringement . Some even seem okay with it. I do comply because I don't want to be locked in a cage. However it is an illegal law.

I have a Washington State CPL...I also renew it every five years.
As pointed out in the OP , its better to be safe , than to be sorry.

With that said...I also agree with the idea that I am paying for the Right to bear Arms...
No where does the 2nd Amendment state that one must carry or "bear" Arms any specific way....
it says ( in part ) :
...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms , shall not be infringed.

Notice that it does not state how one can or must bear Arms...
And please note the word "infringed"...
If I have to pay for the permission to bear ( carry ) Arms...is that not an infringement...?
Plus if I have to ask for permission ...is it a Right any longer...?

One does not need a GCL...( a Go to Church License ...:D ) , to go or not go to their house of worship...
Why does one need a license to carry / bear Arms....?

Now I understand that one does need a permit for certain practices of free speech...does then the issuing of a CPL , fall under this idea...?
Plus I do get the notion that the issuing of a CPL can mean a more intensive BGC ....which may be a good thing...

So in a nutshell ...
I renew , i don't like it..but I do renew....Thank you government for turning my Right into something akin to a prostrate exam....something that I don't like ...but something that needs to be done...:eek: :D
Andy

Maybe someone can propose something to get rid of it? Because its an infringement on ones rights.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top