JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I have this rifle with a synthetic rifle stock...GASP! :eek::D
I would like to make the "plasticness" of it go away...I like the look and feel of the Hogue overmold stocks ...but I can not afford the $230-$260 it costs to get a full bedded one.

Anyone ever use "Plastic Dip" spray paint on a stock before...?
Thanks,
Andy

So I have this rifle with a synthetic rifle stock...GASP! :eek::D
I would like to make the "plasticness" of it go away...I like the look and feel of the Hogue overmold stocks ...but I can not afford the $230-$260 it costs to get a full bedded one.

Anyone ever use "Plastic Dip" spray paint on a stock before...?
Thanks,
Andy

I haven't on a stock, but on other items I have with success. As with all painting, preparation of the surface is a fundamental key to a nice product.

Lightly sand it with fine grain sandpaper so the coating has something to "grip" onto. Then use some mineral spirits (while wearing nitrile gloves) to wipe it down to remove all sanding residue and oils/salts from your hands.

After it dries, wipe it down again (wearing gloves) and let the mineral spirits evaporate completely. Apply the coating (not too thick!) in a temperature controlled area, and give it twice as long to dry/cure as the directions say.

You can repair that slick stock with Flex Seal ! Lol

images.jpeg

I thought this thread was going to be a punchline for a joke or something, seeing as who the OP is. :D

Andy what rifle is it? Something common? There are lots of stocks out there on the market for common rifles that could fix this over plastic dip.

However, if you do plastic dip. Go to an automotive shop as they sell lots of different colors there these days vs the typical black found at your local grocery store.

They sell DIY spray in bed liner. I'm not sure if it's quality, but it may be another solution.

I'd try on something else first, see how the results are.

Andy what rifle is it? Something common? There are lots of stocks out there on the market for common rifles that could fix this over plastic dip.

It is a JC Higgins Model 50 in .30-06 with a Leupold 3x9 "Rifleman" scope.
The Model 50 is a FN Mauser with a chrome lined barrel made by High Standard and sold by Sears in the 50's-60's.
Andy

Ive used plastic coat on stocks before. It peels off unless the surface is really ruff. It does have a nice grip to it. I sent my tikka stock in to this place and had it hydro dipped. Came out great . They have several patterns and textures they can coat the finished stock with. Unfortunately he's not taking in any more work. Camo & Hydro Dipping | Custom Hydrographics - Northwest HydroPrint
There are lots of other outfits still doing the dips. I might send another in and get the snake skin pattern:D. It runs around $100 bucks.
full.jpg

It is a JC Higgins Model 50 in .30-06 with a Leupold 3x9 "Rifleman" scope.
The Model 50 is a FN Mauser with a chrome lined barrel made by High Standard and sold by Sears in the 50's-60's.
Andy
Boyds makes stocks for that model. They do a coating for some of their models that is similar to the Hogue.

You'll have to have it bedded, but it is less than the price you mentioned above.

They also have nice high gloss walnut.

Yeah I know...I gotta post pictures of me with a plastic stocked rifle...Just so folks will believe me...:D
'Course having said that ... The idea of me with a plastic stocked rifle , may mean that the Hot place has frozen over...:eek::D
Not to forget to mention my other guns resenting the intrusion of "That plastic stocked interloper"....:D
Andy
By the way.

:s0122:

Thanks Joe...
I am looking for a wood stock for it as well...but again its the budget thing or out of stock...
A member here has offered up a Hogue overmold stock to me for trade.
So I will keep you all informed with the goings on...as well as pictures.
Andy

Make sure to sand the heck out of it first, put some tooth to the surface for what ever finish you use! I have had really good luck using wrinkle paint for Chrysler Hemi valve covers, though Ford wrinkle paint is the same:D gives a nice texture with just the right amount of grip, and it cleans easy and is impervious to most gun solvents. Note, for best results, use a good heat gun to "cure" the paint!
I have tried the tool dip, and it peeled off pretty quick, even with a etching primer, the coating didn't stick. A friend did the spray bed liner, it was tough, but super aggessive texture!! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top