JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wait until its raining sometimes, cause no one goes then. I often get a whole mountain to myself and never see a soul the whole time.
I figure for me its good practice when cold and wet, I sure love me a nice 65 degree spring day, but also love doing it in winter. I have spent most of my adult life ( and my youth )outside so feels natural.

Same here...
I shoot my Hawken a lot..all year...off the bench , in all types of weather , light etc...
I love to hunt and shoot , but more importantly I owe it to the animals that I hunt to give the quickest and cleanest death I can give them.
Andy

Even in the scenario where I have a rifle picked out and I have an established load, I'm shooting it all spring and summer.
As it should be. One should shoot his/her rifle off-season to keep in practice as well as in shape to carry it as well as the physical rigors of the hunt.

I'll give it to the inline shooter, at least he was proving his rifle before taking game in the field...
Anyone explain that maybe the guy would have better luck if he wasn't sighting in where he intended to hunt?

Day after Black Friday, I'm not entirely surprised if a bunch of folks are out there with a new gun.

I'm 50/50 on this one. I understand the hunters perspective being that I've hunted. I also understand the recreational shooters perspective from what I do with Trash No Land.

Hope you the best with a fruitful harvest @AndyinEverson !

My daughter, SIL & I went shooting today at the pit. They helped me pick up close to 1000 pieces of brass ranging in size from 9mm to 30-06.... :eek::eek::eek::D

Honestly it sounded like the guy bought the inline to hunt today and is sighting in at 25yards for the hunt he already showed up late for...
I'm a recreational shooter, but I fish. Nothing is more annoying than somebody jumping in your fishing hole.
Edit: especially when they're inexperienced and just making a ruckus.

Yeah, da noive of dim. (In a Curly voice from the 3 Stooges)

I hate people like that. They are the ones that will shoot at movement in the bushes only to shoot another hunter or hiker.

And speaking of that, It irratates me when you go to a hunting spot in hunting season, and there's a bunch of hikers making noise down the trails, have their dogs off leash, and wearing dark clothing. All oblivious that it's hunting season.

Then you have the A holes that go shooting during hunting season blazing away at the hillside near where your hunting.

Moral of the story, people are idiots.

P.s. I have 4 hunting rifles all sighted in and ready to go.
No need to "sight in" when I should be hunting. If for some reason one doesn't work out, grab the next one. I know it's still GTG

Nimrods that sight in thier guns that way, don't have all thier balls in one bag ya might say:rolleyes:

I also agree Andy, to me it's very disheartening to see all the inline rifle stuff guys carry in the woods, when the black powder season was originally set up to be for traditional hunting ( flinters and sidelock cappers ). It pretty much defeats the whole purpose of hunting black powder when people use those inline rifles I think.
Might as well hunt moden and have your man card taken away if a guy hunts with inline rifles during a traditional Blackpowder season in my opinion. It's a sad deal.:oops:

I also agree Andy, to me it's very disheartening to see all the inline rifle stuff guys carry in the woods, when the black powder season was originally set up to be for traditional hunting ( flinters and sidelock cappers ).
I've never read WA regs, but PA clearly differentiates between inline, percussion cap, and flintlock muzzle loaders. The WMU I will be hunting in is either slug shotgun or muzzleloader. There is a flintlock only season in January, and fortunately I will be there for a week - hopefully get another day hunting.

I have hunted elk in the strawberry hunt muzzle loader oct 18th listen to tHe World Series. Night before seaso the "large" camp below me fell an 18" lodge pole and cut it up at dark 200 yards from my camp.
I had scouted a nice fresh elk trail,run within 100 yards of my hovel camp.

In the next few days of the season when returning to camp this horde proceeded to "unload" their weapons every night, NOT necessary with black powder.
During the eight inning a herd of six or so elk came right up the skid road to my hovel.Ohh....
One well known black powder writer tested his black powder load for a year in his rifle ......after a year he capped it and it touched off on target.One year.
Every night in country is NOT necessary.UUUHHH

There is a common belief perpetrated by gun snob writers and such that you should always clear a load after the days hunt and reload the next morning! That's absolute B.S. and I have proof! I have a mid 1800s power flask that was put in storage full of powder in the 40s and forgotten until I found it last summer! I could have charged a flinter and pan and had a great days hunt! Testing that powder showed a 3Fg rating which would be awesome under a 460 gr conical .50! And the charger work as accurately today as it did the day it was made! :)
20180402_155114.jpg
The man who owned it, my Grand Dad circa 1947!
20180424_144610.jpg o

I have hunted elk in the strawberry hunt muzzle loader oct 18th listen to tHe World Series. Night before seaso the "large" camp below me fell an 18" lodge pole and cut it up at dark 200 yards from my camp.
I had scouted a nice fresh elk trail,run within 100 yards of my hovel camp.

In the next few days of the season when returning to camp this horde proceeded to "unload" their weapons every night, NOT necessary with black powder.
During the eight inning a herd of six or so elk came right up the skid road to my hovel.Ohh....
One well known black powder writer tested his black powder load for a year in his rifle ......after a year he capped it and it touched off on target.One year.
Every night in country is NOT necessary.UUUHHH
That is just ridiculous. I don't even have a fire when hunting. Low profile is the way to go.

There is a common belief perpetrated by gun snob writers and such that you should always clear a load after the days hunt and reload the next morning! That's absolute B.S. and I have proof! I have a mid 1800s power flask that was put in storage full of powder in the 40s and forgotten until I found it last summer! I could have charged a flinter and pan and had a great days hunt! Testing that powder showed a 3Fg rating which would be awesome under a 460 gr conical .50! And the charger work as accurately today as it did the day it was made! :)
View attachment 521423
The man who owned it, my Grand Dad circa 1947!
View attachment 521425 o

That's one smooth looking dude right there.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top