JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Day after Black Friday, I'm not entirely surprised if a bunch of folks are out there with a new gun.

I'm 50/50 on this one. I understand the hunters perspective being that I've hunted. I also understand the recreational shooters perspective from what I do with Trash No Land.

Hope you the best with a fruitful harvest @AndyinEverson !
When do the hunting rifle sales hit this forum.... almost like clockwork every year.... o_O

real_men_shoot_flint_oval_sticker.jpg

About the only way to beat the crowds is do like my son's wealthy father-in-law did.....go in with 5 other wealthy guys and buy a ka-jillion acre ranch in Colorado. It is kinda between Parachute and Rifle Colorado. They hunted via horseback with Jeep backup, elk and deer every year. Never got to go before he passed, too old now anyway for a trip like that.:(

Yep, having a private piece of land and a way to get in and out of the woods can always be a real plus when you are hunting. I just never had the big bucks to make it happen.

Nimrods that sight in thier guns that way, don't have all thier balls in one bag ya might say:rolleyes:

I also agree Andy, to me it's very disheartening to see all the inline rifle stuff guys carry in the woods, when the black powder season was originally set up to be for traditional hunting ( flinters and sidelock cappers ). It pretty much defeats the whole purpose of hunting black powder when people use those inline rifles I think.
Might as well hunt moden and have your man card taken away if a guy hunts with inline rifles during a traditional Blackpowder season in my opinion. It's a sad deal.:oops:
!!!THIS!!!>>>>:mad:the black powder season was originally set up to be for traditional hunting ( flinters and sidelock cappers ). It pretty much defeats the whole purpose of hunting black powder when people use those inline rifles I think.

>>>>This really cramps my gut... use them modern black powder sticks during "modern" hunting season!!!<<<<

Last Edited:
DunRunnal; Here in WA we used to have a fine Gentleman who did a great job of making sure the "Regulations" said "No in-line" type Firearms. Ignision must be exposed to the elements. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago. Now it's anything and everything to bring in the dollars. Dollars coming in and they don't care if the hunters get a critter or not.

Interesting read. Seems that the biggest problem is that with inlines they made it easier for modern hunters to get out in muzzy season. Never really looked at it that way until now, and, well, until after I bought these.........

003.JPG

I wait until its raining sometimes, cause no one goes then. I often get a whole mountain to myself and never see a soul the whole time.
I figure for me its good practice when cold and wet, I sure love me a nice 65 degree spring day, but also love doing it in winter. I have spent most of my adult life ( and my youth )outside so feels natural.

and there's a bunch of hikers making noise down the trails, have their dogs off leash, and wearing dark clothing. All oblivious that it's hunting season.
Moral of the story, people are idiots.

Believe it or not, people actually go hiking during hunting season. On a trail even. Talking to each other. And wearing whatever clothing they want. Most people that don't hunt have no idea of hunting season dates or in what area. And it isn't going to keep them out of the woods. The public forest doesn't automatically turn into a private preserve and become off limits to non hunters when hunting season rolls around. And if anyone gets shot, its not going to be on the "hiker that looked like a deer to me". Just saying.

Last Edited:
But now days we have Laws that make "disrupting" a hunter during the season a jail time offense. And there are Fish & Game Agents who are willing to arrest them.:):):)

But now days we have Laws that make "disrupting" a hunter during the season a jail time offense. And there are Fish & Game Agents who are willing to arrest them.:):):)

Absolutely. And those types should be prosecuted. But not some family taking a walk through the woods oblivious to hunting season.

Yep, having a private piece of land and a way to get in and out of the woods can always be a real plus when you are hunting. I just never had the big bucks to make it happen.

Yup you are talking MILLIONS with an S meaning more than 1.
For a million nowadays you might get a couple hundred if it was way off the grid with NO improvements.
If you want a real ranch with improvements like a house and out buildings dig real deep, you gotta be RICH!
Eventually the USA will become more and more like Europe where all the land not owned by the Gov't will belong only to the very rich, and posted and probably fenced 8' high with razor wire on top. Maybe even a roving patrol as well.
I know it sounds far fetched to some but my 76 years have showed me many changes, that were thought would never happen.
Think about restrooms for instance. After all the liberals are in power!
Gabby

Last Edited:
Yup you are talking MILLIONS with an S meaning more than 1.
For a million nowadays you might get a couple hundred if it was way off the grid with NO improvements.
If you want a real ranch with improvements like a house and out buildings dig real deep, you gotta be RICH!
Eventually the USA will become more and more like Europe where all the land not owned by the Gov't will belong only to the very rich, and posted and probably fenced 8' high with razor wire on top. Maybe even a roving patrol as well.Gabby

You got that right. You need to get on this list.....

https://www.lovemoney.com/gallerylist/67927/the-30-biggest-landowners-in-america-revealed

Ah that's chump change we occupy 10 acres of crappy oak with some pine and Doug fir mixed in. none of it worth harvesting!
Just makes it so we have few close neighbors and I can shoot any time I want too as long as it's quiet & small caliber, can't scare the BOSS'S dogs now can we!:rolleyes:
Gabby

Location, location, location.

It isn't the amount of acreage, it is where it is.

This is the view from my kitchen window:

1znpmde.jpg

My living room window:

33cu0w1.jpg

My driveway: o5qbns.png

I see deer daily. I can sit on my porch and throw rocks at deer and hit them.

I could have one acre or 100 acres, as long as it is the same location I would still have deer.

Yep, acreage is what you need but you also have to be healthy enough to enjoy it. We have a single acre and I have seen deer here but since my acre is 100 yards from the City limits...

Location, location, location.

It isn't the amount of acreage, it is where it is.

This is the view from my kitchen window:

View attachment 524596

My living room window:

View attachment 524597

My driveway:View attachment 524598

I see deer daily. I can sit on my porch and throw rocks at deer and hit them.

I could have one acre or 100 acres, as long as it is the same location I would still have deer.

We have similar guests here, not many bunnies but lots of turkeys and a regular bunch of deer. Love watching the deer, but there are so many turkeys they have become a regular nuisance.
Tearing up the yard looking for whatever, and crapping every 2 or 3 feet, you really need to look where you step.
I have a wrist rocket sling shot that I occasionally use to thump them with 36cal round ball so far haven't killed any and I'm such a bad shot with it that it would be nothing but a miracle if I did. The hollow handle designed to keep ammo in makes a pretty good noise when I shoot and they are finally getting wise to it and they usually get out of range pretty quickly, but give them 30 minutes and they are right back.
I think they were the birds in mind when the term "Bird Brains" was thought up.
Smart they aren't!
I'd kill some if the cook would fix them but she isn't interested.
So I'm not trying to kill any. Just run them off.
We do have a few jackrabbits here & some gray squirrels and a few quail in the area, and I've seen 2 or 3 and heard a few ruffed grouse drumming. Lions and bears are in the area too and I've seen 1 or 2 of each, along with a possible bobcat, and hear some yodel puppies now and then.
Almost forgot the foxes, had one that crapped all over the place marking his territory, saw him one day and put a 9mm between his front feet and haven't seen him or his poop, or heard him since then! One more cool critter was a river otter a few winters back, that was hunting the fish in our small pond and took time to make a slide in the snow that he used to play on, sliding into the pond and coming out to do it over again, he had a grand time, and went next door and cleaned out the Koi from their bigger pond, and didn't leave a one. He hardly bothered my fish.
The Mergansers and blue herons hit them pretty regularly though.
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads