JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And its muzzloading season here...crowded and not one traditional rifle in sight....disappointing , but not unexpected...

So I finally find a spot , that no one has claimed...get out of my truck , load up and head out...
After a bit of walking I keep hearing a series of shots , coming back from where I parked...
I head back to see what is what ...and when I arrive at my truck I see two guys ...one with a brand new rifle literally right out of the box , sighting in...

Now to be fair ...he was shooting into a natural berm as a backstop and away from the road etc...
But Damn...really...?!!!!

The owner of said rifle was all manner of excited and bragging 'bout how much better these new in-lines are compared to a flintlock like I had as he could get a 200 yard shot...

By the way...the place where he was sighting in to the berm was about 25 yards or so...his "group" was 'bout the size of a dinner plate....sigh...
So I just said nothing , packed up , unloaded* and left.
* I was asked by Mister Inline to take a shot at his target...I did and hit the 10 ring...

I do hope that you all have or had better luck than mine today.
Andy

Had something similar happen a few years ago. Parked mostly in the road to walk up a ways to a landing 45 minutes before daylight. Sat listening to the elk in the clear cut walking around. Up comes this a$$hole in a little truck, stops and backs up into a berm with a loud thunk headlights on of course. Total quiet in the dark. Daylight comes...nothing. Felt like shooting a 2 legged critter but common sense took control. Haven't hunted elk since. Still pissed about it.:mad:
Guess I should get over it but still...

Usually late season keeps the less experienced out of the woods, most just don't want to hunt wet winter conditions! Combined with thick under brush and rain/snow, it's generally just road hunters and they quickly finnish their business and leave the mountains!

I really wish these people would take the time to sight in before the season, learn the equipment and be ready to hunt instead of showing up and making all kinds of racket and being unsafe!

Thankfully where I hunt, you almost never run into any other hunters, and with the cold and snow, no nudes walking around near the springs, so that's good, plus the altitude keeps the flat landers off the mountains!

Day after Black Friday, I'm not entirely surprised if a bunch of folks are out there with a new gun.

I'm 50/50 on this one. I understand the hunters perspective being that I've hunted. I also understand the recreational shooters perspective from what I do with Trash No Land.

Hope you the best with a fruitful harvest @AndyinEverson !

Thanks Reno911...
I got my deer this year during modern season...No worries , I used my Hawken...my partner doesn't hunt with a muzzleloader...yet....:D

I was going out after more grouse...
Andy

Day after Black Friday, I'm not entirely surprised if a bunch of folks are out there with a new gun.

I'm 50/50 on this one. I understand the hunters perspective being that I've hunted. I also understand the recreational shooters perspective from what I do with Trash No Land.

Hope you the best with a fruitful harvest @AndyinEverson !
Honestly it sounded like the guy bought the inline to hunt today and is sighting in at 25yards for the hunt he already showed up late for...
I'm a recreational shooter, but I fish. Nothing is more annoying than somebody jumping in your fishing hole.
Edit: especially when they're inexperienced and just making a ruckus.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top