JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never read WA regs,
I spent a few minutes reading the initial proposal that ultimately resulted in the change in the WA Regs to allow inlines & 209 ignition.
The comments in FAVOR of it were pretty much universal I.E. '209 primer ignition results in more consistent and reliable discharge etc.' but regardless it's now ok.
I remember many years ago when Oregon made a suddden change to NOT allow inclines & closed ignition - and it was right before deer season! It PO'd about 98% of the hunters - except for the few of us that were already shooting traditional. Unfortunately the ruling was reversed and inlines were again allowed with a few changes such as projectile & powder restrictions and open sights only,
I haven't ML hunted in a few years so that could have been changed by now also but I hope not.

Regarding keeping your muzzleloader , loaded...
I will keep my rifle / fowler loaded at times ....sometimes not as my schedule / situation dictates.

If I have a loaded muzzleloader , that I need to store , I will take a piece of red cloth and and slide it between the ramrod and barrel / stock near the muzzle to serve as a visual reminder of the firearm being loaded.

I know , that we should treat every firearm as being loaded but...
With a muzzleloader before shooting it is good to "Bust a cap or three" on a percussion gun , to clear out any oil / debris that might be down the bore.

By "Bust a cap" , I mean taking your rifle , before loading it, pointing it down at the ground , down range , or in a safe direction , placing a percussion cap on the nipple and firing the rifle...As I said this is done to clear out any left over oil / debris from cleaning.
Some folks will prime their flintlock and "touch it off"...to do the same...
I just open the pan and blow down the bore.
The red cloth mentioned earlier helps prevent any surprises during this action....
Like busting a cap on a loaded rifle or loading a double charge.

Also if you travel by car , horse or boat with a loaded* muzzleloader...it is a good idea that when you arrive at your stop , to check your load to make sure that is has not shifted upwards....
You do this by lightly tamping your ramrod on your load...you check your "scribe mark " at the muzzle...if your scribe mark is even with the muzzle , you are good to go...if not , tamp your load down.
A scribe mark BTW , is a mark on your ramrod , that you put on , after you have loaded your muzzleloader...you load powder , patch and ball ...then before removing the ramrod , lightly scribe with your knife around the ramrod a mark....
This will serve to show you that you have loaded firearm....or haven't "dryballed" etc...

* By loaded here , I mean powder , patch and ball loaded , but not capped or primed.

In the 18th and 19th century , when these guns were in daily use ...Charges were pulled at times or shot , then reloaded with a "fresh charge"...you will come across this practice being mentioned if you read enough first hand accounts of the time period.
Is this necessary today...No , our guns are usually kept in a warm house or safe , not out and exposed constantly to changing weather and temperatures...Plus the black powder of today is much more uniform in production than powder of the 18th and 19th century.
And with that said , I have experienced and read too many accounts of old muzzleloaders being left loaded and still firing years or even decades later....

Sorry for the long ramble....
Andy

Last Edited:
And its muzzloading season here...crowded and not one traditional rifle in sight....disappointing , but not unexpected...

So I finally find a spot , that no one has claimed...get out of my truck , load up and head out...
After a bit of walking I keep hearing a series of shots , coming back from where I parked...
I head back to see what is what ...and when I arrive at my truck I see two guys ...one with a brand new rifle literally right out of the box , sighting in...

Now to be fair ...he was shooting into a natural berm as a backstop and away from the road etc...
But Damn...really...?!!!!

The owner of said rifle was all manner of excited and bragging 'bout how much better these new in-lines are compared to a flintlock like I had as he could get a 200 yard shot...

By the way...the place where he was sighting in to the berm was about 25 yards or so...his "group" was 'bout the size of a dinner plate....sigh...
So I just said nothing , packed up , unloaded* and left.
* I was asked by Mister Inline to take a shot at his target...I did and hit the 10 ring...

I do hope that you all have or had better luck than mine today.
Andy
Andy; That's really a shame. People like that are such idiots. Mike

And speaking of that, It irratates me when you go to a hunting spot in hunting season, and there's a bunch of hikers making noise down the trails, have their dogs off leash, and wearing dark clothing. All oblivious that it's hunting season.

I'm not sure how to find when/where open season on elk, deer, muzzle loaders, rifle are. SO many areas and regulation, as bad as fishing regs I presume. We just wear red jackets when ever we go out.

This fall hunting mushrooms, out in the Tillamook, I'd left Wifey at the car while I made a short loop to a spot that sometimes pays off. While she was alone there some guy comes rattling down the dirt road in a red truck. He stopped and asked her if she was participating in the "Muzzle loader" hunt. She said no, but thought it a strange question. When I got back she asked about it and I had to explain that the guy in the red truck wasn't looking FOR a muzzle loader, he HAD a muzzle loading rifle, and hoped to find a deer to shoot with it. :oops: She's natural blonde BTW. I'm sure had I been gone longer she would have figured it out.

I'm just glad I was able to take about three lbs of nice white chant's before the guy in the truck spooked 'em!

Sorry to hear your hunt was interrupted Andy. I will pretty much only hunt Washington now if I draw a special tag or if I have private ground to hunt. The number of people afield during the general seasons in WA has dampened my enthusiasm for participating. I usually spend my time and money in Montana. I just got back from my second stint in Mt this fall and the only person I ran into during 60 plus miles on my boot leather was one from my hunting camp. I consider myself decently proficient when one on one with game. When I am also tasked with out maneuvering some of the knuckleheads in the field my game is weak and my enjoyment wanes.
As far as discharging a muzzle loader everyday, I will do it when hunting really wet snowy climates as it cost me an elk several years ago. I found when shooting every day after the hunt, I often needed 2-3 percussion caps to get charge to ignite. This is with a TC New Englander and pyrodex powder. Maybe I should switch to black powder as I know it is easier to ignite.

I often needed 2-3 percussion caps to get charge to ignite. This is with a TC New Englander and pyrodex powder.
Quite the opposite for me. A couple years ago I was out of BP and simply out of need I bought a can of Pyrodex and was quite impressed. It seemed to have a different 'sound' when firing - more of a sharp 'crack' than a hollow 'boom' and accuracy was excellent and consistent.
No problems with ignition on either my T/C Renegade, 1863 Springfield Zouave or 1851 Navy .36 (repros). Cleanup was easier and it didn't seem to build up as quickly as BP allowing for more followup shots between barrel swabs.

When I got into muzzle loading it was due to an appreciation for history and to maybe embrace a small part of it.
I studied up on it, learned about the techniques & equipment used by the mountain men & hunters and applied some of it to my experiences.
The modern inline applies no 'Renaissance' to the basic tradition of the muzzleloading rifle or anything that goes with it.

Yeah...It is tough for me to hang onto a hunting partner...Often they are surprised that I get out of the truck and you know walk....:eek::D
Andy
If you were closer Andy, I'd be honored to hunt along with you. I don't muzzle loader hunt but I do archery hunt and usually our WA late archery and late smoke pole seasons run during same time. I live in Vancouver, so if you ever want to hunt some new country, I know some good places for both deer and elk within an hour drive of my home. You can lodge at my place. I have a guest room with your name on it. Nothing to watch out for at my place other than three little stooges but your room door has a lock on it for quick escape from these three...
8965880B-8D6A-41FE-84F4-BD7CC8890C9C.jpeg

If you were closer Andy, I'd be honored to hunt along with you. I don't muzzle loader hunt but I do archery hunt and usually our WA late archery and late smoke pole seasons run during same time. I live in Vancouver, so if you ever want to hunt some new country, I know some good places for both deer and elk within an hour drive of my home. You can lodge at my place. I have a guest room with your name on it. Nothing to watch out for at my place other than three little stooges but your room door has a lock on it for quick escape from these three...
View attachment 521553
Cute - they look troublesome like my younger three were at that age. Troublesome as in natural curiosity and the joy of living in the moment like all kids do.

By the Way... I made my Underhammer percussion from a raw ( threaded plug) barrel. Action was tried re-tried re-re-tried until it worked. Hidden in the wood recess under with the only access to the barrel was a .045" hole. I would put a torch tip file into the charge cap and hunt. The barrel and tang had a nice coating of bees wax, I just had to keep it right side up.
I made three a 45 cal for deer(light) and a 54 bench gun,,,and a 62 cal elk round ball twist. Wood and steel all from scratch...

By the Way... I made my Underhammer percussion from a raw ( threaded plug) barrel. Action was tried re-tried re-re-tried until it worked. Hidden in the wood recess under with the only access to the barrel was a .045" hole. I would put a torch tip file into the charge cap and hunt. The barrel and tang had a nice coating of bees wax, I just had to keep it right side up.
I made three a 45 cal for deer(light) and a 54 bench gun,,,and a 62 cal elk round ball twist. Wood and steel all from scratch...
Pictures !

Cute - they look troublesome like my younger three were at that age. Troublesome as in natural curiosity and the joy of living in the moment like all kids do.

That they are. If it's quiet, then they're up to something. Best to run fast or that silence is going to end up some sort of mess trouble that will make you grab your head

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top