JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I also was agreeing with regards to barrel twist and such earlier today. I'm not sure why you are quoting yourself either. You asked a very interesting question, then cut down several answers from very respectable members here and substituted your own. We are all here to help, but when you tell them that they are wrong, please don't get upset when the fountain of help gets dirty. No disrespect was meant in my post earlier, most people cannot handle my sense of humor, including my wife. But, I am who I am, and cannot change, so maybe you understand me a little better and if not, zero loss on my part.
I never said anyone was wrong. I simply explained they were off topic or miss understood the subject I wasn't questioning the accuracy of the firearm (it is indeed accurate) i was puzzled by the massive poi difference at 30 feet.drstrangelove was on point with his comment as were some others. No disrespect intended.

In my experience, without adjusting the sights, a slower heavier projectile will shoot higher at short distance compared to a lighter faster projectile. I believe this is caused by the slower heavier load having more dwell time in the barrel so the recoil movement will throw it higher.
I share the same experience. I just have never seen it so pronounced 6 inches at 30 feet. Barrel twist + bullet weight/length + barrel length seems to be the formula

Why did the gun shoot high with some bullets and low with others?
Dwell time is the biggest part of it. No matter the barrel length, the less time the bullet is in the barrel (dwell time, determined by velocity) the less the barrel will rise before bullet exit. The POI will be lower than a bullet with a longer dwell time. The longer the dwell, the more the barrel tips up from recoil and the higher the POI.
Bullet weight affecting how much the gun recoils is another variable in this equation.
The lighter the gun, the more noticeable. The shorter the barrel, the more noticeable.

None of the instances above have anything to do with true accuracy. I've seen short barrels outshoot long barrels, but it's not an easy thing to shoot a short barrel accurately. I believe it was @Reno that started a thread about shooting a snubby a while back, mentioning how difficult it can be to to shoot one double action and be accurate.

Why did the gun shoot high with some bullets and low with others?
Dwell time is the biggest part of it. No matter the barrel length, the less time the bullet is in the barrel (dwell time, determined by velocity) the less the barrel will rise before bullet exit. The POI will be lower than a bullet with a longer dwell time. The longer the dwell, the more the barrel tips up from recoil and the higher the POI.
Bullet weight affecting how much the gun recoils is another variable in this equation.
The lighter the gun, the more noticeable. The shorter the barrel, the more noticeable.

None of the instances above have anything to do with true accuracy. I've seen short barrels outshoot long barrels, but it's not an easy thing to shoot a short barrel accurately. I believe it was @Reno that started a thread about shooting a snubby a while back, mentioning how difficult it can be to to shoot one double action and be accurate.
Yup. I gave up! Lol. I suck at shooting double action.

One of the issues that comes into play is the "torque" that is applied to the gun when the bullet hits the rifling.
When the bullet engages the rifling two forces oppose each other, the rifling forces the bullet to rotate and the bullet try's to also rotate the gun in the opposite direction.
Since the gun has so much more mass/weight it doesn't rotate as much, but it DOE'S rotate a little bit, (your grip has a big effect on this).
One of the effects of this is the same as when you "cant the sights" on a rifle, the accuracy degrades vs. POA.
Heavier bullets increase this torque effect.
Small/lightweight revolvers, (along with their high bore axis,) are most susceptible to this, they lack the "stability" of heavier guns so they "jump around" before the bullet gets out the barrel, even allowing for recoil effect.
However, the "intrinsic" accuracy is still pretty much there.

Last Edited:
Can I assume that grip strength or "tightness of shooters grip" can also have an effect on the torque? Lots of variables here, we'd have to eliminate the humans from the equation to find the true "accuracy" of any firearm.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top