JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my buddy bought a very nice looking s&w 686 plus 3-5-7 series 3inch. He called me after shooting it and was upset because it was so inaccurate. I have a nice set up on my property and told him to bring it by. At 30 feet it shot 6 inches low and 3 inches to the left with 125gr ammo. So i adjusted the sights and it shot 3 inch groups at the same distance using the same ammo. We switched to 158gr and again had to adjust the sights. Repeated with 110gr with the same result. I told him its been my experience that short barreled revolvers tend to be finicky and to find a round you like sight it in and stick with it. The 158gr gave the best groups staying under 2 inches. To be honest i was a little taken back at the difference in POI at 30 feet between the rounds. I have a 2 inch ruger sp101 that likes 125gr but shoots only about a inch lower at 30 feet with 158s. His smith was a half foot in difference. Thoughts?

CFEA25E1-8190-475D-98B5-8D67363A13A6.jpeg

About all I can say is I have a 3-inch barreled S&W Wheelgun that shoots WAY more accurate than my Glock with a longer barrel. Seems to have something to do with the weight, among other things. In a life and death situation it is, hands down, the Smith for me.

About all I can say is I have a 3-inch barreled S&W Wheelgun that shoots WAY more accurate than my Glock with a longer barrel. Seems to have something to do with the weight, among other things. In a life and death situation it is, hands down, the Smith for me.
What ammo do you find most accurate?

At 30 feet it shot 6 inches low and 3 inches to the left with 125gr ammo. So i adjusted the sights and it shot 3 inch groups at the same distance using the same ammo.
Two questions:
AFTER you adjusted the sights and it shot a 3" group were they at the point of aim?

And what were you shooting - .38 Special or .357 Magnum?

I don't have a 3" S&W revolver but have some 4" ones. My 617 is my favorite, it'll hit the 4" gong at 50 yards every time if I did my part. Group the different loads on paper, then again with the different shooter/owner. See if it's the revolver (probably not) or the shooter.

Assuming competent shooter, the only reason you would see a difference in group size (not POI) with different weight bullets, is how well the rifling is stabilizing the bullet. I don't know the twist rate of your SW, but from years of experience, I can tell you that SW revolvers prefer 148-158gr bullets. The utility of 110-125gr bullets is lower cost, at a price of pronounced flame cutting, and reduced accuracy for the benefit of higher velocity. Just my own experience, so don't everyone get panties bound please.

why are you shooting a stubby at 30'
they are intended for point blank range
don't aim, just point and shoot at 10'
for 30', I use a revolver with a longer site radius
but all revolvers are sensitive to ammo
our Ruger SP101 doesn't have adjustable sites, but at 10', who cares
I have 2 Smith 686, 4' and 5' - they don't shoot that differtent at 10 yrds with 130 and 158 .38
I have 5 .357 revolvers, shoot 130 grn .38 for practice and Buffalo Bore 158 gn for reality

Assuming competent shooter, the only reason you would see a difference in group size (not POI) with different weight bullets, is how well the rifling is stabilizing the bullet. I don't know the twist rate of your SW, but from years of experience, I can tell you that SW revolvers prefer 148-158gr bullets. The utility of 110-125gr bullets is lower cost, at a price of pronounced flame cutting, and reduced accuracy for the benefit of higher velocity. Just my own experience, so don't everyone get panties bound please.
Very good point about the rifling twist rates and quality.

I have 2 Smith 686, 4' and 5' - they don't shoot that differtent at 10 yrds with 130 and 158 .38
I have 5 .357 revolvers, shoot 130 grn .38 for practice and Buffalo Bore 158 gn for reality
A 3" isn't really a snubby. A 3" is usually every bit as accurate as a 4".

but from years of experience, I can tell you that SW revolvers prefer 148-158gr bullets.
DItto this!

I ADMIT to loading 125 grain bullets for plinking in my two .38 Special only guns but for my .357s & 'serious' .38 Special I stick with 158 grain bullets.

Reality being what it is the S & Ws were designed around 158 grain bullets and best used with them.

I don't have a 3" S&W revolver but have some 4" ones. My 617 is my favorite, it'll hit the 4" gong at 50 yards every time if I did my part. Group the different loads on paper, then again with the different shooter/owner. See if it's the revolver (probably not) or the shooter.
Nothing wrong with either. Grouping is fine just have to adjust sights per flavor of round

He wanted to test accuracy at a distance. It performed well as far as grouping.

I agree with your comment and as i posted the groups were fine. The gun was accurate when adjusting sights for the specific round. My question was about why at 30 feet their was such a large poi difference. Rifling makes sense but it seems odd it would be so extreme. I have owned a lot of snubs over the years and have never experienced that large of a Poi difference at 30 feet

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top