JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think most of you misunderstood or didn't read the post. Accuracy was not the issue. 158 gr off hand at 30 feet was around a inch and a half to two inches. Plenty combat accurate. I was curious about POI vs POA deviation being as extreme per flavor of round. Drstrangelove is most likely correct in assuming barrel rifling. I have several guns that like different ammo just have never seen such a drastic difference

In your hands. Putting it a Ransom rest will narrow that edge, probably to or close to imperceptible.
In your hands. Putting it a Ransom rest will narrow that edge, probably to or close to imperceptible.
Longer barrels are inherently more accurate than shorter barrels. One is not equal to the other although barrel twist and materials play a role but everything being equal a 4 inch is more accurate as a 5 inch is more accurate than a four so on ….

According to most "experts" barrel length has very little to do with accuracy.
Mounted in a proper vise long and short barrels shoot mostly the same. [ shooting ammo that gives the same velocity].
What is different is the shorter sight radius makes any error in sighting exaggerated.
A 1/16 inch error in aim using a 6" revolver might give you a 1"error on target, but that same 1/16" aiming error would be 3 times that from a 2" barrel. [or 3"]
I carry a J frame with a 1 7/8" barrel. When I first got it I had to really concentrate on the basics of sights, trigger pull, and follow through. Now I shoot it very well. I shoot it all the time out to 30 yards. Beyond that I am limited more by my eyesight than by the gun.
Shorter barrels just require more practice. The upsides are the shorter barrels are easier to carry, and everything I have done to be able to shoot the little guns better has made shooting full size guns that much easier too! Good Luck DR

According to most "experts" barrel length has very little to do with accuracy.
Mounted in a proper vise long and short barrels shoot mostly the same. [ shooting ammo that gives the same velocity].
What is different is the shorter sight radius makes any error in sighting exaggerated.
A 1/16 inch error in aim using a 6" revolver might give you a 1"error on target, but that same 1/16" aiming error would be 3 times that from a 2" barrel. [or 3"]
I carry a J frame with a 1 7/8" barrel. When I first got it I had to really concentrate on the basics of sights, trigger pull, and follow through. Now I shoot it very well. I shoot it all the time out to 30 yards. Beyond that I am limited more by my eyesight than by the gun.
Shorter barrels just require more practice. The upsides are the shorter barrels are easier to carry, and everything I have done to be able to shoot the little guns better has made shooting full size guns that much easier too! Good Luck DR
Longer barrels are more accurate not only based on sight radius but also takes advantage of longer powder burn that leads to longer range accuracy.

It appears that the student has become the teacher. Why ask if a person only wants to argue or cut down a known fact or answer? I think I'm out from here on this thread.

I agree with your comment and as i posted the groups were fine. The gun was accurate when adjusting sights for the specific round. My question was about why at 30 feet their was such a large poi difference. Rifling makes sense but it seems odd it would be so extreme. I have owned a lot of snubs over the years and have never experienced that large of a Poi difference at 30 feet
On POI, the differences you saw are likely extreme due to velocity differences from powder charge and the effect of gravity on bullet weight. Heavier bullet will go slow and impact low. Lighter bullet will go fast and impact high.

I don't know if these were the same type of bullets, but mixing bare lead and jacketed ammo can have undesirable effects on accuracy and POI due to leading buildup; lead bullets have less friction resistance, while a jacketed bullet has more. "Shooting out" the lead is more an idea than a reality, and I don't recommend mixing and matching because once that bore gets filthy, jacketed bullets are only going to mash the lead flat making an even bigger mess to clean out the lead from the grooves.

It appears that the student has become the teacher. Why ask if a person only wants to argue or cut down a known fact or answer? I think I'm out from here on this
On POI, the differences you saw are likely extreme due to velocity differences from powder charge and the effect of gravity on bullet weight. Heavier bullet will go slow and impact low. Lighter bullet will go fast and impact high.

I don't know if these were the same type of bullets, but mixing bare lead and jacketed ammo can have undesirable effects on accuracy and POI due to leading buildup; lead bullets have less friction resistance, while a jacketed bullet has more. "Shooting out" the lead is more an idea than a reality, and I don't recommend mixing and matching because once that bore gets filthy, jacketed bullets are only going to mash the lead flat making an even bigger mess to clean out the lead from the grooves.
Good point. I stay away from lead for the most part but when i do occasionally shoot it i use J&B bore compound. Excellent stuff

Good point. I stay away from lead for the most part but when i do occasionally shoot it i use J&B bore compound. Excellent stuff
Also i accepted your initial response (barrel twist) as the most probable cause. So not sure what kmk 1012 was referring to. As for barrel length and accuracy or ballistics and capable shooting techniques I have been a "student" in the United states Army for over 20 years 7th grp psyop. Well educated in firearms and how they work. My question had nothing to do with the guns accuracy. I just thought a 6 inch deviation at 30 feet was abnormal. And was wondering if anyone had thoughts or had a similar experience.

Also i accepted your initial response (barrel twist) as the most probable cause. So not sure what kmk 1012 was referring to. As for barrel length and accuracy or ballistics and capable shooting techniques I have been a "student" in the United states Army for over 20 years 7th grp psyop. Well educated in firearms and how they work. My question had nothing to do with the guns accuracy. I just thought a 6 inch deviation at 30 feet was abnormal. And was wondering if anyone had thoughts or had a similar experience.
I also was agreeing with regards to barrel twist and such earlier today. I'm not sure why you are quoting yourself either. You asked a very interesting question, then cut down several answers from very respectable members here and substituted your own. We are all here to help, but when you tell them that they are wrong, please don't get upset when the fountain of help gets dirty. No disrespect was meant in my post earlier, most people cannot handle my sense of humor, including my wife. But, I am who I am, and cannot change, so maybe you understand me a little better and if not, zero loss on my part.

No, lighter, faster bullets have less dwell time in the gun and hit lower on the target.

In my experience, without adjusting the sights, a slower heavier projectile will shoot higher at short distance compared to a lighter faster projectile. I believe this is caused by the slower heavier load having more dwell time in the barrel so the recoil movement will throw it higher.

No, lighter, faster bullets have less dwell time in the gun and hit lower on the target.
Dwell time would counter my ballistic argument, however in my experience, I've only ever seen dwell time effect POI while shooting very large heavy caliber revolvers… two in particular, the 7.5" CSAA, and ROA. I've not seen this phenomenon affect any of my smaller caliber revolvers. But your point is valid. I think dwell time mostly applies to longer barreled guns where recoil will start moving the barrel up Before the bullet exits. In a snub, it's not likely to matter as much. And to the OP's observation, his heavier bullets were landing low. QED.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads