JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an older S&W K-22 that I have been planing on having lettered by S&W. I mentioned it in an add I have posted for S&W 10-7. I was asked for some more info with an offer that K-22 may be able to help me identify its origins. From what I can tell from posts on S&W's forums that I need to send it in for authentication. Guns similar to mine seem to get alot of attention on that forum. I thought that I would post and make it public to the great NW firearms community. If you are interested and or knowledgeable please feel free to comment. I am not trying to sell it so please don't ask. Just posting it because, I believe it is a bit of an oddity. Many people on the S&W forum made the following comment "I didn't know that my k-22 was rare and now I can go to Hawaii". What makes this gun different from the average k-22 is (in my limited understanding; ) a special 4" barrel run. They were later produced in mass in this configuration. Now I have to have it authenticated but I think this is the case.

I bought this gun from an old-timer earlier this year. He used to be a cop and told me that he bought his guns new. Neither he or I knew that there was anything unusual about this old S&W. I do not have the original box or any paperwork. I believe it is all original and not doctored in any way. The Serial # is K76XXX and is on the barrel and butt. Smith & Wesson is on the barrel smack dab in the middle and it doesn't look like the barrel has been chopped. Front of the barrel is nicely rounded and bluing is even w/ no discoloration. Other side of the barrel has a symbol followed by 22 Long Rifle CTG followed by the same symbol (again, this is smack dab in the middle).

Thats about all I know. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
wollow

DSC05184.jpg

DSC05189.jpg

DSC05185.jpg

From the web;

"In 1949, a 4-inch barrel version, the K-22 Combat Masterpiece was introduced. Later it was to be called the Model 18. It was a great little trail gun, but sales paled compared to the 6-inch barrel version, and it was discontinued in 1985.""

I have an older S&W K-22 that I have been planing on having lettered by S&W. I mentioned it in an add I have posted for S&W 10-7. I was asked for some more info with an offer that K-22 may be able to help me identify its origins. From what I can tell from posts on S&W's forums that I need to send it in for authentication. Guns similar to mine seem to get alot of attention on that forum. I thought that I would post and make it public to the great NW firearms community. If you are interested and or knowledgeable please feel free to comment. I am not trying to sell it so please don't ask. Just posting it because, I believe it is a bit of an oddity. Many people on the S&W forum made the following comment "I didn't know that my k-22 was rare and now I can go to Hawaii". What makes this gun different from the average k-22 is (in my limited understanding; ) a special 4" barrel run. They were later produced in mass in this configuration. Now I have to have it authenticated but I think this is the case.

I bought this gun from an old-timer earlier this year. He used to be a cop and told me that he bought his guns new. Neither he or I knew that there was anything unusual about this old S&W. I do not have the original box or any paperwork. I believe it is all original and not doctored in any way. The Serial # is K76XXX and is on the barrel and butt. Smith & Wesson is on the barrel smack dab in the middle and it doesn't look like the barrel has been chopped. Front of the barrel is nicely rounded and bluing is even w/ no discoloration. Other side of the barrel has a symbol followed by 22 Long Rifle CTG followed by the same symbol (again, this is smack dab in the middle).

Thats about all I know. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Wollow,
According to the Standard Catalog of S&W, your 5 screw K-22 was produced in 1949.

If the patridge front site is original, it is the first one I have seen on w 4" K-22 as they usually came with Baughman ramp sights Then again, there are a lot of things I have not seen. If you get it lettered, that will tell the tale. BTW, do the grips number to the gun?

Best,
Gary

The wood grips are original the serial # matches the gun. Again, I am no expert but if the front site was changed It was done by a pro. There are absolutely no markings that would indicate that it was messed w/.

I pulled the following text from S&W Forum.

Here is some text from Roy's book.
From Roy Jinks' "The History of Smith & Wesson" we have:

"Once production of the K Masterpiece was well underway, the factory began receiving inquiries from laws enforcement agencies requesting the K-38 Masterpiece with a 4" barrel. By 1949, inquiries for this barrel length were so strong that the firm produced a limited quantity of both the .22 and .38 caliber K Masterpieces with a 4 inch barrel. These salesmen samples were tested and by late 1949 the demand was sufficient to place both models into production. In the January 1950 catalog, this barrel length was listed as the Combat Masterpiece; a short action, target-grade holster gun for law enforcement officers. The following June the new catalog announced the introduction of the .22 caliber Combat Masterpiece, stating it was a companion gun designed for training purposes. Both revolvers were well accepted by the law enforcement community as well as the sportsmen who looked upon these new revolvers as excellent companion guns for field use."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top