JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Doing this in Portland/Multnomah County is just plain stupid! They'll throw the book at yer. If your concealed carrying, and you don't know whether or not you have a round chambered, then I question if you should really carry. Concealed means concealed...

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. This tool has done our side exactly zero good... That's a fact...

I'd consider my conduct to be..disorderly, if I pulled my weapon for inspection/chambering without finding somewhere private for the activity.
I'd consider my behavior to be the same if I dropped my pants to straighten my boxers out after a day of my dang pants falling down, and my holster yanking things around on their way back up (though Portland might not on that example, they're...weird.)
Yelling and carrying on...disorderly.

I don't think the guy should lose his gun rights, but I'm not opposed to him catching a hell of a fine, and a lot of crap from his friends for a while for being a meathead.

I know there is a school of thought out there to not carry one in the chamber, when i first read this, that is what went through my head. There is also a school of thought that says to not travel with one in the chamber.

Hell I've even heard of people teaching that you cant legally travel with a round in the chamber.. there is far to many people out there teaching bad techniques and spreading false information. I'm not trying to excuse this guy, common sense SHOULD reign above all else and sadly the sins of the one WILL reflect upon the sum of us all.

Little addendum.

We tend to focus on laws as transactions these days. "Oh, how many years did THIS guy buy?"
It's supposed to be about either correcting behavior, or removing someone that's unsafe for the public and (yeah right, with our prison system) rehabilitating them to a point where they're safe.

We need to take a page out of Singapore's book. I think if we had public corporal punishment available as a sentence, there'd be a lot less repetition on some crimes, and we'd save a TON of money by not incarcerating people over BS.

Upper class, how much do you think a $1000 fine goes to stop someone from drinking and driving? Now, take that same upper class man, and let a public gathering watch him with a sign around his neck that says "I drink and drive" taking a cane across the backside a half dozen times.

Pain and shame, they didn't magic themselves into existence. They're biologically wired in to get lessons through our thick skulls.

I don't believe in corporal punishment - too many laws on the books that are not justified for one thing, too much corruption in the justice system for another, and finally, too many people being arrested and convicted for something they didn't do. How do you compensate someone for being literally beaten by to government?

If anything, if someone knew they were going to be caned for some offense, you would have a lot more violence when a LEO goes to arrest them. I know I would resist arrest in that case.

I know there is a school of thought out there to not carry one in the chamber, when i first read this, that is what went through my head. There is also a school of thought that says to not travel with one in the chamber.

Hell I've even heard of people teaching that you cant legally travel with a round in the chamber.. there is far to many people out there teaching bad techniques and spreading false information. I'm not trying to excuse this guy, common sense SHOULD reign above all else and sadly the sins of the one WILL reflect upon the sum of us all.

It's common sense that is so lacking these days.

I missed the part where corporal punishment is involved now. Is he gonna get a spankin or something? LOL

If it did happen like this, and the guy does have a Permit, you would think he would know better.
Unfortunately, no. We on this forum are the exception. I saw a study once (from a pro 2A source I recall) that found only a very small percentage of folks who have permits get any sort of training beyond the bare minimum for getting the permit. About 5% I recall.

I know there is a school of thought out there to not carry one in the chamber,
Ditch school on that day. Actually, just ditch that school completely.

I don't believe in corporal punishment - too many laws on the books that are not justified for one thing, too much corruption in the justice system for another, and finally, too many people being arrested and convicted for something they didn't do. How do you compensate someone for being literally beaten by to government?

If anything, if someone knew they were going to be caned for some offense, you would have a lot more violence when a LEO goes to arrest them. I know I would resist arrest in that case.

I agree that there are too many laws on the books that...really, just shouldn't be laws.

As far as how to compensate someone? We start actually abiding by the enhanced responsibility thing. Unjust arrest, and sentence? That whole reap what you've sown thing comes to mind. If you've got an at fault officer, DA, and/or judge...they can take the same medicine.

It's not perfect, but our system now isn't perfect. There are fairly light offenses that'll land you in jail for a year. One year of your life unable to earn, not able to pay your mortgage or offer protection and upkeep to your home. How is this less severe than an unjust caning? There's little recourse that will genuinely undo what you've lost, and the powers that be face none of it. If there are repercussions, it comes out of our tax dollars.

There's a big impact on our society with this. Not only do we lose the money it costs to jail that person, which is substantial, but we lose any tax revenue that person would have generated. I don't know how to look at future tax revenue we'd lose, due to that person having served time, but I bet it would be if significant we were to add it all up.

Hmmm.
Idiot does stupid thing and gets in trouble.
Film at 11.

I always carry concealed.
In 50 years not once have I stopped in public and racked the slide to check for one in the chamber.
If I had ever done that I would have had myself committed for terminal stupidity.

However, maybe he was preparing for a gunfight he had scheduled that was just around the corner.
That would make sense then.................o_O

"Both guns were seized as evidence. "
This part does not make sense to ME - IF 'Disorderly Conduct' is in fact a de facto charge then why is there a need for 'evidence' AND why were both guns taken and not just the one he displayed?
I am thinking there is more to this than is being reported such as maybe the guy had been drinking and they took them for his safety as well as that of others.

Respect all the opinions above, but something we have to remember, our "rights" don't trump someones else's "rights". As in, my 2A rights are not above another's right to live. It goes to a reasonable man (person) standard of what would a reasonable person think.

Let me ask, anyone here, seeing someone pull out a handgun, rack the slide and re-holster or not...anyone not in condition orange, seeking cover and having a hand close to their gun? (Hopefully not drawing and racking the slide as well, see post #54.) IMHO if someone is not, it is a major situational awareness fail. (Some exceptions may apply, on a range and apparently Veronia (see post #36).

What's the whole story here? Was he in a parking garage, getting out of his car, and seen on surveillance camera? Or was he in a conspicuous public place?

Disorderly conduct(AKA disturbing the peace) is usually applied to such offenses as 'Drunk in public', 'Loitering', 'Soliciting(or engaging in) lewd sex acts' etc. etc. etc.

He wasn't charged with 'Brandishing' <--- which would have required some level of intent involved.

Yea, just going to leave this right here.

Screenshot_20190929-133204_Instagram.jpg

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews