JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
A few years ago my wife and I had to drive her father (who medically cannot drive) to Portland for business in a gun free zone so I had unloaded and placed my carry pistol in the car safe after parking. When he was done I wanted to leave downtown as quickly as possible, but he insisted on a stop at VooDoo Donuts so he could bring some of their novelty fried crud home. I found parking about a block away (close to where the above story took place) and my wife was saying"Where's your gun? Where's your gun? Put your gun on. Hurry hurry." So I have to climb in the back, unlock the safe, grab a spare mag, rack a round in, replace spare mag with a full carry mag, place mag in holster, try an slip everything in my pants, loosen belt, try again, climb out of the car, adjust carry and tighten belt. By this time her dad had already wandered down the block the wrong way.
Your car is a private place! ;)

If I was that guy, I would inquire about seeing the Incident Report (IR) the security officer has to legally write since he involved law enforcement. IR's are supposed to be written in such a manner in case it would end up in a courtroom. Legally this guy can challenge the reporting party over this. If there is no IR then that officers career might be over if there is no other evidence from initial reaction such as CCTV footage or other eye witness reports. He could also request to see the validity of the security officer, required by DPSST you must provide your security license upon request from ANYONE. Should there be no IR this can also be held against the S/O for falsifying reports.

Also living in Portland and being a 2A enthusiast I would say take more care in your actions to keep matters like these from occurring. If you do get involved with Security, remember they may not be able to do much but they can open the legal book of tricks on you if it involves police. For example if you are asked to leave by security and do not it is considered criminal trespass and can get stacked against you further should LEO get involved.

Last Edited:
Making a gun visible in public is not brandishing. Not particularly smart in some situations, but not brandishing.
Read my post again. I said pulling the gun out, not printing or exposing it while bending over. This guy pulled it out And racked it. There isn't a DA alive who couldn't make a brandishing charge stick on this guy.

Actually the City of Portland considers your car to be a "Public Place".

Oh yeah, the city ban on carry without a license, that is true.
It does make sense tho when you define what concealment in a vehicle is, not that banning open carry is right. I believe the vehicle is still private, but it moves through public space and has the legal application similar to a pocket.

Read my post again. I said pulling the gun out, not printing or exposing it while bending over. This guy pulled it out And racked it. There isn't a DA alive who couldn't make a brandishing charge stick on this guy.

Brandish: to wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.

Brandish: to wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.
And who makes that call, feels threatened, but the ninny that saw him pull the gun out and rack it? So the guy pulls out his gun and racks it, a movie cliche of impending violence, and when little Elmer or Mary-Pat sees that, they feel threatened.
The threat is always in the eyes of the beholder.

Ok so if he wasn't going to do bad things, I would guess he's a very ignorant 23 yo who heard scary stories of portland and wanted to go heavily armed (not really) at 1am?!

Sounds sketchy

The last sentence of text in that article said he did not have a valid CHL. At least one of the guns was in his pocket. Did they forget to charge him for that? OOPS! I just checked - he DID have a valid CHL. :)

And who makes that call, feels threatened, but the ninny that saw him pull the gun out and rack it? So the guy pulls out his gun and racks it, a movie cliche of impending violence, and when little Elmer or Mary-Pat sees that, they feel threatened.
Well the guy who put in the call was security, so I will just assume the charged was doing this near someplace that had security. Perhaps a bar or bank in that neighborhood, either place you shouldn't be checking your firearms at 2am where anyone will see you do it.

"Both guns were seized as evidence. "

Confiscation is already happening; it's just that gun owners don't actually care.

How is it you figure we just don't care? Should we mount up and go bust his guns outta the klink??

If one is going to be a tool, one is gonna lose his tools:s0109:

Oh sure, some people may feel threatened, but some people will feel threatened by open carry period, or by the simple word "gun" without even one being visible. But it all comes down to context, and it does depend on whether the person possessing the gun displays the gun in a threatening manner.

I do not recall from the article whether they said there was a round chambered, but maybe he was checking to see if one was not chambered? Some people prefer to carry that way.

Without a vid or more details, it comes down to the word of the gun owner against the word of the viewer.

Sure it was maybe stupid to do that where someone could see it, but then you don't always know who is watching or who can see what - especially in today's surveillance society, combined with the paranoia about firearms encouraged by anti-gunners and those in power.

This guy just learned a hard lesson from one of the worst places that will dish it out. I don't know his background but it's not likely to be operator level. More like young and dumb. I wouldn't throw him under the bus unless it turns out to be more to the story.

If he was in Veronia someone would have yelled, holster that thing before someone shoots you. In PDX you make the 6 o'clock news.

Well, if the above are true then why did he get charged with 2nd degree disorderly conduct?
People get arrested all the time when what they do is not against the law.

E.G. - resisting arrest is a catch-all charge that police use all the time, with no other charges, whether they resist or not. People get arrested for flipping off LEOs or telling them to go **** themselves.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads