JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Apparently making sure that you have one in the chamber with a CHL is enough to catch a disorderly conduct charge in downtown PDX

It is not like he even pointed the pistol at anyone

NiceGrossFish-small.gif

Well given where this took place who knows if we are getting anything close to the real story here. If it did happen like this, and the guy does have a Permit, you would think he would know better. Why are you pulling out a gun, in public, to rack a round into it? Assuming again this is the whole story in many places this would most likely not lead to an arrest. It would almost certainly lead to an uncomfortable interaction with uncomfortable Cops. If you are a Cop and get a call like this, man pulled gun out of his pocket, racked it and put it back, how are you going to feel when you spot the "suspect" ? So again, was the pistol not loaded? If so why would he feel the need to pull it out in a public place and rack it? Again the big IF, this is really what happened I have to guess the guy is either not real bright, was showing off, maybe both.

Umm... yeah... you're an idiot if you think it's cool to pull a gun out in public to rack the slide and think somebody isn't going to be worried about it.
Point is to keep it private and concealed, if you can't recall there is one in the chamber you probably shouldn't be carrying.
Like if he was on the squatter I'd be more forgiving.

Considering current affairs maybe something to consider even if you don't agree.

Even if no harm no foul was done, pulling in public and checking your gear might not be a wise move do to unease of mass shootings and public fear.
This is why before you venture out of your home for the day you should be checking your equipment if you carry or at least do it some place non suspect in broad daylight.

Case in point. I went to oregon rifle works a few years ago to have some trijicon HD's put on a G19. The clerk asked me to clear my weapon out front the store. Looking thru the doors I could see a bus stop across the way with 5 people waiting. I just ran a scenario thru my head (considering mass shooters were gaining traction by then) would I have walked out and safety checked and cleared my weapon from a gun shop the on-lookers may have done the same course and called for police.

Stop and think about what you are doing and where. Have situational awareness!

Last Edited:
Situational awareness: One of the telltale signs of a person carrying is them adjusting the weapon constantly, or touching/feeling/fondling it for reassurance. If you are a gas/deli clerk especially, or approached by someone at any location, watch out for that kind of behavior!!!

Not sure if that qualifies as "brandishing" or not. Kind of a grey area. Certainly stupid doing it where someone can see you doing it, especially in today's fear of guns environment.

LEOs probably charged him to get him off the street just in case, and let the DA/etc. handle it - i.e., CYA and let him be someone else's problem.

A few years ago my wife and I had to drive her father (who medically cannot drive) to Portland for business in a gun free zone so I had unloaded and placed my carry pistol in the car safe after parking. When he was done I wanted to leave downtown as quickly as possible, but he insisted on a stop at VooDoo Donuts so he could bring some of their novelty fried crud home. I found parking about a block away (close to where the above story took place) and my wife was saying"Where's your gun? Where's your gun? Put your gun on. Hurry hurry." So I have to climb in the back, unlock the safe, grab a spare mag, rack a round in, replace spare mag with a full carry mag, place mag in holster, try an slip everything in my pants, loosen belt, try again, climb out of the car, adjust carry and tighten belt. By this time her dad had already wandered down the block the wrong way.

The guy pulled the gun out in public, while presumably not fearing for his life. I think that would get a brandishing beef anywhere.

I don't feel sorry for this dude at all. Not all gun owners are responsible or represent us well.

Making a gun visible in public is not brandishing. Not particularly smart in some situations, but not brandishing.

I agree -- brandishing implies use in a threatening manner. If merely having a gun visible was brandishing, nobody could open carry.

I also think he was nuts to pull out his gun and rack in the middle of a place like Portland. That does absolutely nothing positive for the image of people who concealed carry. He deserves a swift kick in the pants for the PR damage.

I don't however think this should be a big deal legally for him. I would think the embarrassment and expense getting out from under this is enough punishment, providing he gets himself some remedial training.

A few years ago my wife and I had to drive her father (who medically cannot drive) to Portland for business in a gun free zone so I had unloaded and placed my carry pistol in the car safe after parking. When he was done I wanted to leave downtown as quickly as possible, but he insisted on a stop at VooDoo Donuts so he could bring some of their novelty fried crud home. I found parking about a block away (close to where the above story took place) and my wife was saying"Where's your gun? Where's your gun? Put your gun on. Hurry hurry." So I have to climb in the back, unlock the safe, grab a spare mag, rack a round in, replace spare mag with a full carry mag, place mag in holster, try an slip everything in my pants, loosen belt, try again, climb out of the car, adjust carry and tighten belt. By this time her dad had already wandered down the block the wrong way.
I've been in situations like this. It's always awkward...

Holy crap. Who cares? The person did nothing wrong. You guys can hide in the closet if you want to but when you get to the facts; no law broken, no threatening gestures made, no harm done. -No justification for law enforcement contact-

Stop turning your back on gun owners just because you're better than them. Stop.

Guy did nothing illegal. Who cares if it hurts some people's feeling. The 2nd overrides feelings. The cops should be charged with kidnapping a innocent man at gunpoint, and at the very least be put in training for not knowing the law they are supposed to uphold.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top