JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which gun should I use to hunt deer?

• SKS

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • FN-49 in 30-06

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
Make sure the mag will only hold 4 rds, not 5 like my friend did to his old mil-surp rifle.
The game warden wrote him up because you could load 5 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.
He custom made a hardwood block to fit inside the mag spring.

Your friend should have challenged this. The regulations say "Semi automatic rifles with a magazine capacity of greater than 5 cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel)".
This is a direct quote from every synopsis I've ever read. (I just looked it up in the 2015 version for proper wording and punctuation) :)

This is Oregon regs. Other states likely vary.

My apologies, I didn't see this post until now...

I ended up taking a cap off a spice container and cutting it in half to make a half-circle shape that I then filed down until it blocked the follower at the right height.
Thank thats a good idea I was thinking a wood block but thats good idea.

I know I may be a little late to this discussion, but for the life of me I am trying to figure out why anyone would use a 7.62x39 to hunt deer when a 30-06 is available?

This is a case of "maybe adequate" vs "exceptional," for the task at hand.

I know I may be a little late to this discussion, but for the life of me I am trying to figure out why anyone would use a 7.62x39 to hunt deer when a 30-06 is available?

The two round in my opinion are very different and serve different variables of abilities.
The 30-06 compared to a 7.62x39, would beat it in most test. It would also beat it in price of ammo, rifle and would probably increase recoil about 20%. I personally prefer a 7mm mag over the 30-06 due the recoil not that 30-06 is a monster but 7mm mag and a 7.62x39 basically have nill.
The other two things are noise.

7mm Magnum in 20" barrel 157.5dB
.30-06 in 18 _" barrel 163.2dB
The 7.62x39 is pretty loud in a AK but quieter then all the above in a SKS.
And AR 5.56 seems to be about as loud as a SKS .

The think to keep in mind is many people do have SKS laying around and 7.62x39 ammo is pretty cheap to buy. If a person was a avid hunter I can see spending case on a " deer rifle " But I know of several family members who go hunter in the brush and bring back deer for jerky near every year. Seem also where ya hunt distance can be very limited so having a long range rifle may in many case not be needed.

Right or wrong just my take on it.

Part of the question is where are you hunting? In the brush, open sights or maybe red dot and expecting less than 100-150 yard shots...mebbe an SKS. Shooting from across a 250-300 yard clearcut at a nice trophy animal???? Your FN 06 with a good optic all day long or even open sights if you've dialed it in is a better bet for many scenarios.

Brutus Out

Yeah, I know there's better rifles and better calibers out there. Except that's not what I was asking. I have these two rifles to use this season, and I was looking for opinions between these two rifles.

Next year I'll have a suppressed bolt-action .308 :)

This was my practical and ethical based thoughts I shared, alas the anemic x39 was chosen. I didn't understand either.

Try shooting at the often extreme up and down angles in western Oregon with both, and get back to me.

2) Don't compare DB levels in dissimilar barrel lengths, it's invalid.
Besides, I've hunted for years and never noticed muzzle blast or recoil from behind the rifle.
We're not discussing urban warfare here, getting back on target due to excessive recoil isn't a factor.

And if your 7RM has "nill" recoil, you're loading some pretty mild loads, or you're packing a 9+ lb gun.
Muzzle energy has a linear relationship with recoil, so your loads must be a ways below standard 7RM loads if recoil is that light.
And if that's what you're after, you should have bought a 7-08.

That's my take on it.

I personally prefer a 7mm mag over the 30-06 due the recoil not that 30-06 is a monster but 7mm mag and a 7.62x39 basically have nill.
The other two things are noise.

7mm Magnum in 20" barrel 157.5dB
.30-06 in 18 _" barrel 163.2dB
Gonna wander off topic for a minute here.
I disagree with your comments about recoil. In every "chart" that I've ever seen, the 30-06 and 7mm Mag have similar recoil impulses, but the 7mm shows a bit more. Not much and in identical rifles, would be hard to tell the difference. I've shot guns with identical stocks and both shooting similar loads but I couldn't tell them apart.
Here's a peek at one. http://www.deerhuntingtoday.com/index.php?topic=8138.0
The noise tests are also not in equal length barrels. You gain a lot of noise (at the shooter) with every inch you lop off. The 7mm operates at a higher pressure which "usually" means more noise/flash.

However, I agree that the SKS would be a fine deer rifle. Fit a mag block, buy some "legal" hunting rounds and go. In this tangled mess that is most of western Oregon, it will work like gangbusters.

Gonna wander off topic for a minute here.
I disagree with your comments about recoil. In every "chart" that I've ever seen, the 30-06 and 7mm Mag have similar recoil impulses, but the 7mm shows a bit more. Not much and in identical rifles, would be hard to tell the difference. I've shot guns with identical stocks and both shooting similar loads but I couldn't tell them apart.
Here's a peek at one. http://www.deerhuntingtoday.com/index.php?topic=8138.0
The noise tests are also not in equal length barrels. You gain a lot of noise (at the shooter) with every inch you lop off. The 7mm operates at a higher pressure which "usually" means more noise/flash.

However, I agree that the SKS would be a fine deer rifle. Fit a mag block, buy some "legal" hunting rounds and go. In this tangled mess that is most of western Oregon, it will work like gangbusters.

I can only comment on my own uses I do have the above calibers listed. Maybe I am getting old but thats how they affect my use. Ya the noise I get as well, its hard cause barrel and addons make a difference. But I do agree with your points. With me our 30-06 seems to hurt for lack of better word more then the 7mm. The SKS I do not even notice even the cheaper Chinese ones are pretty smooth. Thats for the link I see what you are saying :) I think my SKS bias is showing LOL I sure love those things more then the AK.

Part of the question is where are you hunting? In the brush, open sights or maybe red dot and expecting less than 100-150 yard shots...mebbe an SKS. Shooting from across a 250-300 yard clearcut at a nice trophy animal???? Your FN 06 with a good optic all day long or even open sights if you've dialed it in is a better bet for many scenarios.

Brutus Out
Very good question and thought.

Brutus Out
That shouldn't be part of the question, Two rifles to choose from, Both similar in equipment with one being ballisticly superior and other one acceptable only when many conditions perfectly align or relying on luck (Or maybe for someone enjoys tracking/loosing wounded animals). Why choose the lessor one of marginal (unacceptable) performance? Hunting blacktails is tricky enough.... Why tie one of your own hands behind your back? Do you also pick the neon light up happy new year rave shirt with a camo shirt right next to it? Why make it harder on yourself when there is no reason too?

This original question had nothing to do with upgrades either. Two rifles, What is the correct choice for taking the life of a deer.

There is one factor that could change all of this though... If someone was tree stand hunting and knew his maximum terminal ballistic range needs, I could agree with the smaller cartridge. I have a friend who has a tree stand with a fifty yard max, he uses a 218 Bee to the head and it doesn't bother the distant neighbors. I personally can understand that. He has many other calibers and chooses others when spot and shoot or spot and stalk methods are employed.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top