JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which gun should I use to hunt deer?

• SKS

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • FN-49 in 30-06

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
Reactions
Just like the title says... I've never hunted before, and a buddy and I have decided to start hunting this year. I'm going to be using a gun I already own to save money and the most appropriate guns in my collection are an SKS and a Luxembourg FN-49 in 30-06. The FN is ready to go, while the SKS would be greatly improved with a rear sight from Tech Sights.

Any thoughts? My buddy will likely be using a scoped 308.

Sks if your hunting within 150-200 yards. If you will have any shots longer then that and the 30-06 will do better.

Are you in and hunting in alaska? 30-06 then, unless its thick woods and then I stand by my above advice.

Check you hunting guide to see if you need a round limter.
OR does, WA doesn't.

The SKS is probably the most understood of rifles. A Yugo model that has a gas switch can be turned off to work as a bolt action improving accuracy. It is for that reason I would also choose it over the FN-49 as the SKS yugo can be turned into a Bolt with the flip of a switch.
There can be found as well 5rd magazines that can snap in to replace the 10rd fixed for about 20.00 on Ebay or Midland a few $ more. Now there are many that will use a so called hunting rifle and spend upwards of 800 and well over to try and pick bambi:p off a couple football field away. Let me tell you that most novice hunters will be lucky if they an hit a deer within 100yds let alone 1/4 mile or more. The SKS is a good straight shooter especially with the switch off 75-150 yards is the sweet spot for these rifles. I like the add on rear sites especially if one is shooting with a standard wood stock because stability can vary and having a nice rear site will help focus in. We have 7mm and 30-06's and tell you what the SKS's I have are near as good under 150 yards as any of them. I like the FN-49 but being it is a semi-auto you will have a slight disadvantage in my opinion over a SKS Yugo even though the FN-49 is a fine firearm. For hunting I would say all around including cost the SKS would be the easy choice for me based on my experiences.

There is this new fad from hunters wanting to be the "American Sniper" and take out a buck at a 1000 yards to share with their friends. But in reality unless you hunt often and for food many will not be able to hit what their equipment lets them see. They often have no idea about velocity and wind and are surprised when they miss even though it was dead on in their scope. I am sure opinions will vary from mine. These are just my own experiences.

Missed the Alaska location. Seems there are no hunting rifle mag limits in Alaska.
Probably a good idea when confronted by a Grizzly bear.

Either way you go (and I still don't see a mention of your sks being a yugo model) make sure you find and purchase hunting ammo - cheap army surplus is great to practice with but is ment to cause instant wounds not death.

How far are you packing it? Not familiar with the 30-06 but a lighter gun on a long walk would come into my factoring as well.

Will you EVER be in a 200-500 yard shot (maybe across a canyon?)? If so, the SKS will hit it but probably not with enough energy to down the animal as easily.

Those russians still take Moose with an SKS but thats up pretty close.

Its also going to come down to what you like to handle best, I have relatives in Alaska and they hunt with a host of firearms. The the moose they sent us down here was shot by a 7mm Rem as and example with a 150.00 scope on it. So maybe a 600.00 firearm. What ever you do have fun.

Sorry, forgot that I had Alaska as my location on here.... I'm in Alaska currently but I'll be back home in Oregon at the end of next week, hunting will be in Oregon. Coast Range general deer season.

The SKS is a Chinese Type 56, so no single-shot gas block. Per the interwebs, the SKS weighs around 8.5 pounds and the FN weighs 9.5 pounds. They both have 10 round magazines, and they would both be blocked down to 5 rounds for hunting.

The FN is pretty damn accurate, I was picking off 1/2 pound tubs of tannerite at 100 yards with it last Spring. The SKS is probably accurate enough, but I don't know if I could do as well with it as I can with the FN. The tech sights might help though.

I think I'd still go with the '06. Usually the western argument about distance is dead in its track when a range finder is used. You won't always be hunting thick brush just like you won't always be hunting 500 yard clear cuts. I'm yet to see someone accurately judge distance beyond about 75 yards in western Oregon. Why sell yourself short. A 300 yard shot is nothing for a 06 on a proper rest same cannot be said for ethical kills with the little x39.

Use the '06 and don't look back.

Sorry, forgot that I had Alaska as my location on here.... I'm in Alaska currently but I'll be back home in Oregon at the end of next week, hunting will be in Oregon. Coast Range general deer season.

The SKS is a Chinese Type 56, so no single-shot gas block. Per the interwebs, the SKS weighs around 8.5 pounds and the FN weighs 9.5 pounds. They both have 10 round magazines, and they would both be blocked down to 5 rounds for hunting.

The FN is pretty damn accurate, I was picking off 1/2 pound tubs of tannerite at 100 yards with it last Spring. The SKS is probably accurate enough, but I don't know if I could do as well with it as I can with the FN. The tech sights might help though.

Does the FN have access to purchase 5rd block, just for my own FYI in case I use it down here.

I can see going with the FN if you have a Chinese SKS for me the Chinese is too short they are not by much but being 6"4" I need a firearm with a reach the yugo's are just slightly bigger and that cool gas switch helps accuracy for me.. Well I tried to sell ya the idea of the SKS ;), I couldnt help it I have a few of them all different and like them all.

Make sure the mag will only hold 4 rds, not 5 like my friend did to his old mil-surp rifle.
The game warden wrote him up because you could load 5 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.
He custom made a hardwood block to fit inside the mag spring.

Make sure the mag will only hold 4 rds, not 5 like my friend did to his old mil-surp rifle.
The game warden wrote him up because you could load 5 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.
He custom made a hardwood block to fit inside the mag spring.
Hopefully your buddy fought it, the game warden was ignorant.
"Semiautomatic rifles with a MAGAZINE capacity greater than five prohibited"......

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top