JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started out as an automatic guy, but slowly transition to more wheelguns. Both for carry sometimes (a pearl-handled snub) and recreation (good quality, full sized, medium and big bore revolvers). I like'em, which is a good enough reason as far as I'm concerned. :s0155:

I just bought a 642 this past week. I currently carry a 640 pro, but wanted something lighter, so the 642-1 (no hole) was the answer. You can use +P in it as well. But I'm just going to use RBCD ammo in it and call it good. I was raised with revolvers, and carried them on duty for years.

Just wondering about the lack of love for the 686 in this thread. I see pics of one with the good old lock on the side. Mine is a 686 plus pre-lock and I absolutely love it. Anyone have problems with their pre-lock 686?

Just wondering about the lack of love for the 686 in this thread. I see pics of one with the good old lock on the side. Mine is a 686 plus pre-lock and I absolutely love it. Anyone have problems with their pre-lock 686?
We have a 686 7-shooter that I like a lot. :)

riddler-jpg.jpg

Like all things firearms...
There many different opinions about what is good to own and shoot.

And again just like anything else...
Some revolvers are better than others in terms of quality of build and reliability.
It wise to not judge all , by the example of one.
Andy

My hands are very arthritic. I have trouble racking some pistols and getting 15 rounds into the magazine. My go to pistol
is now a S&W EZ in 9mm. So I love shooting revolvers, no problems loading or racking. And a trigger pulled in single
action mode is more accurate for me.

Revolvers can have all kinds of problems. However, if one starts with a quality revolver to begin with, does not abuse it, and learns the proper maintenance for a revolver, they are, as a rule, more reliable than semi-automatic pistols.

I suspect one of the main reasons younger shooters have gravitated toward autoloaders (aside from the insidious impact of video games) is that there are fewer and fewer folks around these days who understand how revolvers operate, how to improve them (e.g., trigger jobs), maintain them, and how to repair the most basic issues a revolver can develop (i.e., timing, wear on the hand, etc).

But -- it's not a "gun store myth" that revolvers aren't typically more reliable than semi-autos, in terms of malfunctioning.
Or perhaps they like having more ammunition and being able to reload easily. Well taken care of auto loaders are equally reliable. "More reliable" is tough to quantify. Do you have the actual data?
Old timers just can't accept that revolvers are pretty much obsolete for MOST self defense applications. I love revolvers but they will never compete with auto pistols in any meaningful way.

Last Edited:
Antiquated / obselete ...Hmmm...

Just because something is old...doesn't mean that its usefulness is at a end...same as simply because something is new , doesn't automatically make it better.

At the end of the day....if what you like and use in the way of firearms , works for you and your situation...then that is what really matters.
After all a hit made with a revolver is the same as a hit made with pistol...Just like a miss.
Use what you like and shoot well with....no need to worry 'bout what the other guy is using.
Andy

Last Edited:
Or perhaps they like having more ammunition and being able to reload easily. Well taken care of auto loaders are equally reliable. "More reliable" is tough to quantify. Do you have the actual data?
Old timers just can't accept that revolvers are pretty much obsolete for MOST self defense applications. I love revolvers but they will never compete with auto pistols in any meaningful way.
I'm glad that you edited your post. The way certain people use the term "boomer" nowadays appears to be highly derogatory. May I ask you why this conversation has anything to do with age? The fact is there are certain malfunctions which are simply impossible with revolvers, for example stove piping.

This thread was about an article that listed 6 reasons to own a revolver. Can you argue with any of them factually? Did you read read the article? It was not about which kind of hand gun is better for self defense, which kind carries more ammo, or which kind can be reloaded faster. You don't need to be insulting.

Don't be a dick.

:s0128:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top