JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's see, Double actions in 32-20, 38, 357 and 44 mag. Single actions in 32 H&R, 30 Carbine, 44-40, and 45 colt. Nope can't think of a reason to not own revolvers.

Opps, forgot the 41 Mag Ruger Blackhawk.

Last Edited:
Pp power engage

20211013_115046.jpg

Revolvers can have all kinds of problems. People should stop perpetuating gun store myths.
Revolvers can have all kinds of problems. However, if one starts with a quality revolver to begin with, does not abuse it, and learns the proper maintenance for a revolver, they are, as a rule, more reliable than semi-automatic pistols.

I suspect one of the main reasons younger shooters have gravitated toward autoloaders (aside from the insidious impact of video games) is that there are fewer and fewer folks around these days who understand how revolvers operate, how to improve them (e.g., trigger jobs), maintain them, and how to repair the most basic issues a revolver can develop (i.e., timing, wear on the hand, etc).

But -- it's not a "gun store myth" that revolvers aren't typically more reliable than semi-autos, in terms of malfunctioning.

My first and only revolver was a S&W 686 stainless with a 6" barrel. Been 100% reliable and I have shot 1000 of rounds with it. A lot of 38 special as well as .357 magnum rounds.

I don't currently own a revolver, but I like the versatility it gives for ammunition. For example, I loaded and shot everything from full bore bear loads to soft shooting wad cutters and snake shot in my ex 44 magnum. They make outstanding field pistols.

For carry I use a semi auto. I've only had a small hand full of failures over the last 40 years from semi automatics, but then I routinely clean and maintain all my firearms, even if they were just sitting in the safe.

I'm a revolver guy, carry three on my ccw permit. I have a pile of single actions and a few double actions. I am also a mechanical minded person and like the simplicity of how they work. I can see how they work. A semi auto relies on a non mechanical step to operate ( pressure blowing the slide back) and in doing that step it pitches the case out. As a reloader it bugs me to shag brass off the ground. I will say the 1911 platform is the best platform I have ever shot, hands down. I just cannot get past the fact that it launches my brass.

I'm also a country boy and grew up on farms, ranches and around logging so the old west appeal to a revolver has always been with me.

For those having issue with the 686 you are not alone. I owned one and sold it off after having it repaired. Check your ejector star to cylinder fit for slop. That ejector star is what turns and stops the cylinder and the 686+ has incredibly thin legs on that star that will wear and get the cylinder out of time. Look at these two photos and how much slack is worn into the star, one pic with it turn left and one turned right...over 1/16" slop...

Even a brand new 686+ has too much slop there for my taste.....sold it the minute it came back from S+W.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top