JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can. They are almost 100% reliable. You can also shoot and scoot without leaving your thumbprint behind.
Recently read a John Grisham short story where 4 shell casings found at the crime scene were positively linked to the revolver found in the defendant's house (the cylinder had 2 live rounds and 4 empty chambers). Let no gun facts get in the way of a good story.

Last Edited:
While I love my old revolvers I've had more reliability issues in thousands of rounds through revolvers than I have in hundreds of thousands of rounds through semi autos.
I've got 3 old S&Ws that I need to get to a gunsmith right now

I'm glad that you edited your post. The way certain people use the term "boomer" nowadays appears to be highly derogatory. May I ask you why this conversation has anything to do with age? The fact is there are certain malfunctions which are simply impossible with revolvers, for example stove piping.

This thread was about an article that listed 6 reasons to own a revolver. Can you argue with any of them factually? Did you read read the article? It was not about which kind of hand gun is better for self defense, which kind carries more ammo, or which kind can be reloaded faster. You don't need to be insulting.

Don't be a dick.

:s0128:

I was kinda hopin' he was gonna try and say 1911's are obsolete, as well. Lolol

As much as I'm a revolver aficianado, I think some of the some of the article is outdated, misstated, or misleading.

Revolvers aren't flawless. I had a Charter Arms Bulldog .44sp. fall into pieces on the third shot, a Charter Arms Pathfinder .22 fire only when it felt like it because of light firing pin strikes, and a Colt Anaconda .44mag fail to fire on the third round because of a broken firing pin. My revised version is: If you stick to Colt, SW, and Ruger Revolvers and don't go dry firing them thousands of times without snap caps, whatever the manufacturer says, and don't drop them, they are extraordinarily reliable.

Back when my dad was a kid and young man, I think many semi autos were not reliable, perhaps especially those with double stack mags, a new technology. He mistrusted high capacity semi autos decades after some became reliable, I think. I suspect if one is going to fall and jam gun in swamp mud or sand and fine gravel one may be better off with a Glock than any revolver. Anything that prevents a revolver cylinder from turning takes it out of commission. And if you get mud, sticks or rocks jammed between the cylinder and frame, the gun might not fire. I've never dropped a revolver. However you see people torture testing Glocks and certain other semiautos by jamming them in mud/sand, then firing them, and they fire fine. You don't see people do this with revolvers. Semiautomatics can be reliable with some ammo and not others. And apparently you may need to load the mags of a new semi auto and leave them loaded for a couple weeks and lock the slide open for a couple of weeks to let springs compress before a new semiauto becomes reliable. And you would also want to check the semiauto out with the ammo you are going to use. You would also likely stick to certain manufacturers or models, too, not assume that you can get reliability from every make and model.

Cannot play Russian roulette without one.
Its possible that some people have killed themselves or others by accident playing Russian roulette while intending to impress/scare friends but not meaning to take any risk. They notice, for example, that the cylinder turns counterclockwise, and it is easy to see from their position as the one who spins the cylinder whether the cartridge is in the critical position just right of the barrel. If it is, and they don't intend to harm anyone they just spin the cylinder again so cartridge will be in some other position. Many people have probably noticed that and realized that if they were spinning the cylinder and others were not very familiar with revolvers, they could rig the game. Either to give friends a scare while taking no real risk or to murder the person of their choice. But what if the guy doesn't realize that not all cylinders turn counterclockwise? SW cylinders turn counterclockwise. Colt cylinders turn clockwise. So its the chamber just left of the cylinder, not just right, which is the critical one.

I can't think of one practical reason to choose a revolver for carry
Revolvers snuggle with women better than semiautos do. Revolvers curve out where we curve in. They are meant for us gals. All you men who can't figure out how to carry your revolvers, why not offer to sell all yours at a serious discount to your female NWFA friends?

Reason number 7 - they are fun to shoot.

Never carry my k6s though, it's heavy and my holster is a bit large.
Never had a malfunction though 🇱🇷
Right. No crawling around in wet grass looking for brass. And I hate loading magazines. Loading cylinders or speed loaders is enjoyable, almost a Zen act.

Sounds like the 686+ isn't a good design.

I don't buy any current production SW. Just before they added the lock, which I hate, they also changed designs to use lower quality MIM parts, and crude fit and finish that required less hand polishing and fitting. I doubt if modern production is accurate relative to older guns. For example, the early DX versions of 629s had a three shot group test target that was under 2" at 50 yards. The later ones the standard is a 3 shot group under 1" at 25 yards. And by the time they added the MIM parts they quit doing DX branding and grading. I'm guessing the guns were so much less accurate that it wasn't worth the effort.

If you have one of S&W's hamerless or shrouded hammer j frames, you can fire it from inside your coat pocket
I'll bet ya start a fire in your pocket plus are way less accurate than if you take the gun out of your pocket, even if you keep the gun near body and arm unextended.

Just wondering about the lack of love for the 686 in this thread. I see pics of one with the good old lock on the side. Mine is a 686 plus pre-lock and I absolutely love it. Anyone have problems with their pre-lock 686?
They're talking about 686+es, not the original 686. The original 6-shot 686 is famous for accuracy and reliability. This was pre lock guns though, before the change to MIM parts and redesign to put firing pin on frame instead if hammer.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top