JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I believe in the "two is one and one is none" philosophy. In the interest of having at a minimum two firearms chambered in the same caliber, I had a weighty decision to make:

Ruger GP100 6"
Glock 30​

Since many days have gone going back and forth...at the suggestion of a friend to "toss a coin!"...I did just that. Just a few moments ago my wife flipped a quarter...and the best two out of three was:

GLOCK 30 AKA "The 230 Grain Sledgehammer"

So I'm going shopping on Wednesday :)This will satisfy a minimum of two firearms in .45acp

Right on:) Congrats!

Personally took my GP100 out today and was just hitting dead on with .38sp in it.

Hardest recoil in a handgun I've shot was in an M&P 45 with some hot factory loads - felt like I was lucky to hit the paper much less the middle. Couldn't figure out where my first
2 shots went until I got up to the target and saw a giant hole in each of my metal clips that hold the paper up top lol.

I'm a bit concerned with rapid fire with a G30 because it is much lighter than my Kimber Pro TLE II which I'm good on followups with. Practice makes perfect though!

The GP100 will be my next gun. I need this beast because the SP101 2.25" isn't suitable for me using 357. Carry load is Hornady Critical Defense 38 Spec + P.

Last Edited:
I'm a bit concerned with rapid fire with a G30 because it is much lighter than my Kimber Pro TLE II which I'm good on followups with. Practice makes perfect though!

The GP100 will be my next gun. I need this beast because the SP101 2.25" isn't suitable for me using 357. Major velocity loss compared to the 6" too.

SP101 is a great gun, we've got one with a 3" barrel. It can be a bit punishing with .357 rounds. I'm looking forward to adding a 4" GP100 one of these days myself.

Now you're talking, those light weight Scandium frame S&Ws recoil like crazy. Even the 342 38spc with +p ammo I has was more uncomfortable to shoot than my S&W 629 with heavy 44 mag rounds, but you want to talk recoil grab hold of a 454 Casull.

I was shooting my buddies 454 Alaskan with some 45 colt granny loads when he slipped a 454 hornady 300 grainer on the 6th round, it about flew out if my hands :D

SP101 is a great gun, we've got one with a 3" barrel. It can be a bit punishing with .357 rounds. I'm looking forward to adding a 4" GP100 one of these days myself.
i love shootin some stout .357 loads that i handload for my brothers sp101.

14.8gr 2400
158gr Lswc

YEAH BABY.

I can't wait! The 6" Ruger is on the "to get list" for sure. Really looking forward to the G30 though for another EDC piece after becoming proficient with it. 10+1 plus an extra magazine is more than enough to take care of a deadly problem. Don't think I'll be trading much carrying it over the G19.

i love shootin some stout .357 loads that i handload for my brothers sp101.

14.8gr 2400
158gr Lswc

YEAH BABY.

Now, that's the best of both worlds! Loading hot .357's and shooting them in your brothers revolver!
I do love shooting max loads in a .357! I eventually split the forcing cone in my favorite! My buddy's said "now you can cook the critter when you shoot it!";)

The GP100 will be my next gun. I need this beast because the SP101 2.25" isn't suitable for me using 357. Carry load is Hornady Critical Defense 38 Spec + P.

you will be surprised at the 30's ability to harness recoil

45 acp is not hard recoiling.....it is not snappy but has a good push
I run a G29 for my EDC, exactly the same as the G30 but in 10mm auto. 10mm auto is like shooting two 45 acp but snappier and the sub compact Glocks handle it fine and follow up shots are there if your technique is there

I was shooting my buddies 454 Alaskan with some 45 colt granny loads when he slipped a 454 hornady 300 grainer on the 6th round, it about flew out if my hands :D

love mine, will rattle your fillings a little

alaskan_zps6892a74b.jpg

Last Edited:
I have an Encore also and have been thinking of getting one of those Katahdin barrels, I just haven't decided between .460 and 45-70.
Go with the 45/70. Especially if you reload, but even if you don't. The range of loads is bigger. The cost is half as much per round, and if you reload, you can build 45/70 to be a wicked round. A word of advice, though get a walnut forend for it. The recoil trashes the polymer ones pretty quick.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top