Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sig 556 wear and tear after 1500 rounds.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by halmbarte, Jul 18, 2012.

1. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

Thought I'd do a review of my Sig 556 after its had a few rounds thru it. So far I've run about 1500 rounds thru this rifle: mostly PMC but some Hornandy, Federal, and Tula. So far I've had 1 malfunction, a failure to fire. Of course, this occurred during a rifle match, while the timer was running. I didn't recover the round so I don't know if it was defective or if it got a light hit.

The assembled rifle. Pretty much stock Sig 556 Classic.
    IMG_1070.JPG

Flash hider wear. Flash hider is from PWS and has been installed since I got the rifle.
    IMG_1072.JPG

Receiver wear from the cartridges impacting the side of the receiver. They all so that and they all dent cases too.
    IMG_1073.JPG

Field stripped. Little more complex than the parent AK design.
    IMG_1076.JPG

Gas piston head.
    IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

Gas regulator. No signs of erosion.
    IMG_1080.JPG

Bolt striped. The extractor is not normally removed except to replace it.
    IMG_1081.JPG

Bolt face wear.
    IMG_1087.JPG

Trunnion showing cam wear on the initial rotating cam.
    IMG_1092.JPG

Trunnion showing where the bolt carrier impacts on the right side.
    IMG_1094.JPG

Receiver rail wear.
    IMG_1097.JPG

Ejector.
    IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

Bolt carrier.
    IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

Receiver buffer plate.
    IMG_1106.JPG

FCG.
    IMG_1107.JPG

To summarize, I'd classify all the wear on this rifle as being parts polishing themselves in. I haven't seen any signs of peening or other destructive wear. The parkerizing has worn off in places and the paint has too, but there just isn't any metal being removed in significant amounts.

H

2. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Excellent report and photos, thanks halmbarte for taking the time to post these. The Sig 556 looks like a quality weapon. I agree that the wear looks like the gun is just breaking in. I suspect with the slight polishing we see it operates better than when it was new. Very nice.

3. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

I have one in the 4000 sn# range with swiss parts. It's built like a tank compaired to my AR's.
    Thanks for the 1500 round update. Good to know my gun should make it till then.Cuz I got no spare parts!

4. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

I am glad to see that your receiver has the same pattern of wear that mine does.
    To me, that just means it is consistent.
    Good report, thank you.