JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I like to carry a sidearm while hunting, but I carry a full pack and a chest mount binocular pack. The backpack has a waist belt to help distribute the weight. I bought a standard hip holster for a SW 629, but that requires removing the holster and attaching it to the pack when I use the belt.

Am I being lazy, or should I look at drop leg or shoulder rigs? Would a chest rig with under the binocular pack work?

Last Edited:
No two people have the same requirements.

For me, the Diamond D chest rig works around /and with binocs. Although their photos don't show it, it's very simply adjustable for carry anywhere center of chest to nearly under my arm. Pull the holster to whatever position you need, cinch the strap, and it stays put.

here's a video showing the holster worn under the arm, at roughly the two-minute mark.

For me, the Diamond D chest rig works around /and with binocs. Although their photos don't show it, it's very simply adjustable for carry anywhere center of chest to nearly under my arm. Pull the holster to whatever position you need, cinch the strap, and it stays put.

How do you like carrying on the chest under the binoculars? I have an Alaska Guide Creations binocular pack.

I carry the holster off-center, allowing access to the revolver, without being double stacked under binocs. It works very well.

I added a video to my post. Take a look.

So it's more under your armpit? On a draw, wouldn't you have to reach around the binoculars pack?
Yes, you'd still have to reach over or around a chest (binoc) pack. Everything's somewhat of a compromise, but depending on a persons build, it's doable, and is the best option for me.

if you find yourself up North anytime soon, I'd let you try it out.

Yes, you'd still have to reach over or around a chest (binoc) pack. Everything's somewhat of a compromise, but depending on a persons build, it's doable, and is the best option for me.

if you find yourself up North anytime soon, I'd let you try it out.
I've got short stubby arms, so I'll have to see how the reach around would be with the pack on.

Next question, I'm considering selling the 629 and rocking my python instead. Any thoughts?

For reference.
IMG_20190628_172639439.jpg

IMG_20181126_195857938.jpg

I've got short stubby arms, so I'll have to see how the reach around would be with the pack on.

Next question, I'm considering selling the 629 and rocking my python instead. Any thoughts?
Compared to my girth, my arms are somewhat short.:oops: I still can access handguns easily in this holster.

629 or Python? There is no wrong answer. :s0116:

I have four of these holsters. One for a 629, one for a Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk, one for a 1911 and one for a 10mm XDm. Depending on the event, I'm giddy with any of them.

I carry my 6" S&W 29 in one of these:

I use a FHF Gear bino harness over it. The bino harness sits right over the barrel. It's comfortable and not in the way.

FWIW, I'm 5'9", 175lbs and wear a medium shirt. This combo fits my fairly small frame just fine and I haven't found the grip of the gun to get in the way of mounting a rifle to my shoulder quickly, which is something I was concerned with before trying this combination.

here's a video showing the holster worn under the arm, at roughly the two-minute mark.

I was not Looking for a holster. Just simply clicking on the post out of interest. And now I want to see if I can find this holster for a Glock 19 or perhaps a Beretta 92 do you happen to know if they have something like that?

I was not Looking for a holster. Just simply clicking on the post out of interest. And now I want to see if I can find this holster for a Glock 19 or perhaps a Beretta 92 do you happen to know if they have something like that?
I have yet to find any gun they won't make a holster for.

I like to carry a sidearm while hunting, but I carry a full pack and a chest mount binocular pack. The backpack has a waist belt to help distribute the weight. I bought a standard hip holster for a SW 629, but that requires removing the holster and attaching it to the pack when I use the belt.

Am I being lazy, or should I look at drop leg or shoulder rigs? Would a chest rig with under the binocular pack work?
I use one of these setups from Hunter Company when hunting with my 4" Ruger GP100 and/or my 6" S&W 28-2 Highway Patrolman.

F9D2D5DA-14E3-4013-B472-52B8CE11A4E0.png

The Buscadero Belt drops the holster slightly below the belt (like you need) and these different holster style part numbers will fit your S&W 629.

1100-12
2200-3
2300-3

Good luck, T-Rex arms! ;):D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class