JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, so I guess I've got a couple of questions regarding sidearm carry.

I've been reading up on regulations to make sure I do my best to stay within the law.

Anyways...Starting (hopefully) this winter, I'm going to get into hunting coyote. I have very little hunting experience and want to eventually hunt big game. I figure this will be a learning experience (mostly in patience :s0114:).

What I'm wondering is, do you guys carry open or concealed while hunting? Which leads onto my next question.
Where do you carry it?
If I carry on my belt, it's going to be OWB probably with a thumb break so I don't lose my gun without realizing it. But I was thinking more along the lines of a shoulder harness or thigh rig (if you know where I can get a thigh rig for a subcompact/Springfield XDs...let me know) ***yes, I know that's pretty low round count for woods carry, but it's all I have right now and something's better than nothing.***I do plan on buying something full size eventually, but that's not going to be anytime in the real near future.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

I have heard thigh rigs get tiring after a while, that being said, my hunting sidearm this season is going to by my glock 20 in a cheap thigh holster so I guess I will find out. my other option is a 1911 in a OWB holster but I don't know if i want to drag a Milt sparks through the brush

I've been looking for a decent (under $45 or 50) thigh holster that still has some sort of anti-slip on the straps. But I don't know if I'm searching wrong or not, because I can't find anything other than really bulky adjustable's for smaller handguns.

I carry my M&P in a Blackhawk pancake thumb break, concealed or not depends on if I un-tuck my shirt. The PNW woods are filled with bad things.

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470 or section 5, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or

(c) Possesses a firearm and:

(A) Is under 18 years of age;

(B)(i) While a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470; and

(ii) Was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within four years prior to being charged under this section;

(C) Has been convicted of a felony;

(D) Was committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130;

(E) Was found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness; or

(F) Has been found guilty except for insanity under ORS 161.295 of a felony.

(2) This section does not prohibit:

(a) A minor, who is not otherwise prohibited under subsection (1)(c) of this section, from possessing a firearm:

(A) Other than a handgun, if the firearm was transferred to the minor by the minor's parent or guardian or by another person with the consent of the minor's parent or guardian; or

(B) Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose; or

(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person's place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person's place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, "residence" includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470 or section 5, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or

(c) Possesses a firearm and:

(A) Is under 18 years of age;

(B)(i) While a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470; and

(ii) Was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within four years prior to being charged under this section;

(C) Has been convicted of a felony;

(D) Was committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130;

(E) Was found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness; or

(F) Has been found guilty except for insanity under ORS 161.295 of a felony.

(2) This section does not prohibit:

(a) A minor, who is not otherwise prohibited under subsection (1)(c) of this section, from possessing a firearm:

(A) Other than a handgun, if the firearm was transferred to the minor by the minor's parent or guardian or by another person with the consent of the minor's parent or guardian; or

(B) Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose; or

(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person's place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person's place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, "residence" includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

I guess I should have put that I do have my chl.

The only reason I was thinking about a holster off of my waist was to make a quicker transition if need be. (Can't really see when I'd need that quicker transition seeing that magazine capacity isn't limited to 5 rounds with coyotes...I guess for bear or some...?)

That and most shooting positions would be more comfortable.

I do see a couple situations where it would be good to be concealed, but that's two legged predators, and a pretty grim situation.

I always carry a .357mag on my right hip while out in the woods,. When I'm alone in the woods I want the quickest possible access to my pistol if it's needed. I don't want to be fumbling around in a backpack, fanny pack or coat pocket if I'm facing an immediate threat. I'm not too worried about other people getting weird if they see me carrying in the woods. My safety is more important than their comfort. If I'm running into people, it's too crowded and time to move on to some place else.
As far as your concern about a low capacity magazine, I wouldn't stress it. Any scenario that will play out will probably be over after the first few shots. It won't be like Red Dawn out there.

Yeah. that's true.

I guess I'm most concerned with getting my handgun out of the way of my rifle so they are bumping together if I sling my rifle while hiking or something. That's why I was thinking a thigh rig. That and unless it's nylon, It's hard to find anything that fits this pistol other than custom holsters. I'm already waiting for an IWB (gonna be 6-9 weeks or so) and was hoping to avoid waiting for an extended period of time for owb/shoulder holster. (seeing as there's no real "custom" thigh rigs out there..that I've found.)

Actually Safariland makes awesome custom thigh rigs, and they are sturdy, no slip stay put. I had one for my HK 40 way back.
Here's a link. Model 6004USN SLS Low Signature Tactical Holster | Safariland?

Yeah. that's true.

I guess I'm most concerned with getting my handgun out of the way of my rifle so they are bumping together if I sling my rifle while hiking or something. That's why I was thinking a thigh rig. That and unless it's nylon, It's hard to find anything that fits this pistol other than custom holsters. I'm already waiting for an IWB (gonna be 6-9 weeks or so) and was hoping to avoid waiting for an extended period of time for owb/shoulder holster. (seeing as there's no real "custom" thigh rigs out there..that I've found.)

Looks good, but they aren't making anything for the xds

How do you like your xds? I just picked up a Colt 1911 Government, and I'm looking to replace an airweight that I just sold with a .45. Sig 220 compact is at the top of the list, but I was wondering about the xds.

I really like it. Haven't been able to shoot it a ton because I had shoulder surgery done. But it's really smooth. The trigger could be lighter, but over time I think it will smooth out nicely.

It's awesome to carry. Pretty accurate. Only thing I'm not used to (coming from 9mm), is ammo capacity.

I just bought a Diamond D guide holster for my Glock 20 and though it's not cheap it's by far the best holster I've used for hunting and just overall running through the woods.

ChL or no CHL, if you are hunting you may carry any way you want. Same in WA, but the recreational carry is more liberal here.

Personally, I carry OWB, openly, all the time, not just when I am in the woods. I think a thigh rig or a shoulder harness would be less comfortable than just a good OWB holster with a good gun belt.

In the woods I normally carry a Colt 6" revolver in a Ross (specifically for a Colt Python) full flap hunting holster (everything is covered but the butt) Reason is the holster protects the pistol completely. I got a ding on the rear sight before I purchased the Ross holster...never again, that revolver is completely protected now. If I carry a gun when horseback or hunting I want it completely protected, not just retained. Found that one out the expensive way.

When I am not in the woods I have an Alessi leather holster for my CZ85. Sits high and close to the body. Very comfortable.

I would "Open Carry" while hunting; but I haven't yet. I use an Uncle Mikes Reflex
holster with my XD's and their Level-3 padded for my Glock-20 10mm. Concerned
over the slinged rifle hitting the pistol: carry cross-draw.
Lol

Going after coyote, I don't think I've ever carried a pistol as well as a rifle. Too much gear, too little danger. However, I carry both when going after bear or when after elk in the back country. For big bear protection, I carry a police pump 12 with 00 buck.

Going after coyote, I don't think I've ever carried a pistol as well as a rifle. Too much gear, too little danger. However, I carry both when going after bear or when after elk in the back country. For big bear protection, I carry a police pump 12 with 00 buck.
I'll agree with Trailboss here, yotes are not much of a threat and, depending on what your shooting you should have plenty of firepower for something like that coming at you. I think a sidearm is more necessary for those going after large game and have a bolt action rifle. now, if your hunting yotes on Montana or Alaska, thats another story.

To the OP. I would get a plane jane Uncle Mikes nylon hip holster, with a thumb strap. They're secure, affordable, & durable.
I agree.. or one with just a simple strap. They protect and transport the pistol safely. Also, most are closed ended.. you'll be sitting a lot, often on rocks etc., so give that some consideration.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top