JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I still say the most dangerous ones in the woods are two legged... walking a road out in the hills, i turn a corner, and I see two guys passing a "pipe" , i take one more step , and they spot me,, I nod , and keep walking, but one of them make a show of making sure his pistol is visble on his hip...ok, good for him,... lets see 75 yards or so, i'm holding a win 30/30 and 8 rounds of leverloution and backing that up with a .357 and 158's and he has an auto pistol... buddy you better be REALLY good with that thing if you pull it.... every bear i have ever seen if i walked up on it clearly visible at 75 yards would have been gone before i could pull the hammer back. bears are not scary , human stupidity is! now cats make me nervous, but that another issue.here kitty kitty...

If you are carrying just as a precaution to being mauled, I'd pack the most comfortable pistol that you can shoot accurately,( I doubt you'll need it ) I've seen bears killed with everything from a single six in 22 mag, to a cap and ball pistol. I've said it before and I'll say it again- "shot placement is key". If your packing with the intent to actually shoot a bear I would stick to the larger magnums with hard cast bullets.

FYI I recently talked to a guy that was fishing in Alaska a few years back
He seemed to have forgot his gun.
A brown bear started towards them.His fishing buddy froze.He grabbed the 357 from his frozen com padre.
He shot the bear 4 times in the head and watched the bullets bounce off the thing.Some how the next two killed it about 10 yards off.
So figure that into a blacky's attitude.May or may not do the job. But more likely that the black bear will not like it and run.
No?

I agree with what you're saying about black bears being shy creatures. I camped in Whistler, BC again this year (three years in a row) and saw around fifteen black bears which never once engaged us. However, they will NOT be shy about protecting their young, and that's a scenario I don't foresee the mama walking away from (for multiple reasons).

I have a Taurus Tracker Titanium in .357. It's really light for a 4" barrel so I'm more likely to actually take it with me. Also carries 7 rnds. Just put plain ol 158 gn jacketed.

Do I think this will stop a bear charging me? If I'm lucky. If I knew I was going somewhere Bears "owned" the high ground I'd carry a can of Bear Spray.

I carry in the woods just as I would keep a utility knife with me.

I agree with what you're saying about black bears being shy creatures. I camped in Whistler, BC again this year (three years in a row) and saw around fifteen black bears which never once engaged us. However, they will NOT be shy about protecting their young, and that's a scenario I don't foresee the mama walking away from (for multiple reasons).

Yeah, for all my defense of black bears, i still carry in the woods as a general rule. I just hate the thought of someone killing or worse, injuring one unnecessarily. I do a lot of backpacking and camping and it's a comfort at night when your imagination can turn every sound into a pack of ravenous sasquatches just outside your tent ;)

As with all things in life, despite the odds against it, shtuff happens, that's why we're prepared.

stick.jpg

All the black bear defense you will ever need. Actually more than you will ever need.

Hard way to fill a tag though!

These two were about 300 yds above our camp up in the Dalles. Didn't even know they were close till we took a trip up the opposite side of the canyon. I carried the 357 all weekend and we kept a stereo going with classic rock in camp. The year before neighbors had been warned of a momma who was VERY defensive of her new cub. Think this is her with the yearling. (picture was memorial day 2011)

DSCN1005.jpg

Not too likely you will ever be attacked by these predators as they fear you MOST of the time. To carry gives a little more confidence but you dont need that much. .45ACP,10mm,.357.....44 and others will do the job. No Griz here so no worries (they carry short shotguns up there)

I'm not so concerned about he Black bears, but the Cougars and Grizleys keep my wife & I carrying when we're out in the woods.
We both use holsters with thumb strap retention and solid snaps.
I carry a 41 mag, and my wife carries a 357 mag, full loads w/hard cast bullets for both of us.
She's an excellent shot, even under stress. She practices shooting under self induced stress situations. Like after running for 25 yds, or running a few yds, falling, then getting back up and shooting. she amazes me how she can stay focused.
I have no doubt that the 357 is adequate protection for her.

I carry the same sidearm in the woods that I carry in public, a 1911 with 230 grain HP's, but I agree that a bear will leave if it gets the chance, but that is in my 1 experience. Same with any other furry critter that I come across. mostly deer :mad::complain::s0058:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top