JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All i know is that statistically you are astronomically more apt to get mauled by a domesticated dog die of a heart attack/cancer/natural causes than be killed by a black bear human. I know people who have worked for the forest service a living and had many hundreds of encounters with black bears people in their careers and all agree that they have yet to come across a black bear person that won't run when chased back down when confronted.

By and large they are curious but very shy creatures. Mistakes happen. People do dumb things around bearsother people, they run from them, they try to touch them, their neighbors feed them. Then of course there is that one in approximately 600,000 (usfs biologist #'s not mine) black bears people that actually stalks and attacks a human.

Knowing all that, i still carry when out fishing & back-packing all the time. I think we're hard-wired to worry about being eaten killed:) It's a security blanket and could very well come in handy when a two legged predator tries to pull something.

Made some changes to your post to reflect why I carry every day. =)

Same is true in the woods.

I nearly hit a black bear on my mountain bike last year on the Falls Creek trail in S Wa. Her cub was nearby. Not good... Fortunately she and the cub were already headed away from me.

I have to keep the weight down when I'm riding, so I usually only have a Sig P238 in .380. Still it's better than a stick.

List of fatal bear attacks in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <Take the time to look at the stats. This is a list of Black/Brown bear attacks and should be an eye opener for those that believe black bears only attack when provoked or are cornered.
Soft cuddly little woods creatures my eye. MOST will turn and run, the ones that dont, well thats another matter entirely.
When a black bear attacks, it usually means to kill and consume you, unless its a sow with a cub and she is defending the cub.
One would be a fool to underestimate old Yogi. Blazing speed, incredable strenth and being an appex preditor combine for an animal that should have anyones respect.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top