JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I learned some in the Boy Scouts but then I learned the proper use of a map & compass when I was 16, as a member of Explorer Search and Rescue. I still have a high quality Silva Ranger and every couple of years I dig it out with a Quality map and do a bit of a refresher course. So far I'm still good to go. I also spend a little time with a Thomas Brothers map book just for the fun of it.

Last Edited:
Did someone say "Old School"...:D

Learning to read a map and compass and knowing how use a protractor should be a skill every outdoorsman
( and outdoorswoman ) should master.
Batteries die , signals get weak or "go away" , electric items get too damp...etc...
A compass and map along with the skill to read 'em will never fail you.
Here is one of my compass's ... it "followed me home" from my Army days.
Andy
DSC06038.jpg

...Here is one of my compass's ... it "followed me home" from my Army days.
Andy
Andy; I hope I'm reading this correctly and that you have a good compass in addition to the "Followed me Home" one. I'm sure you'll remember to keep that "Pig Sticker" well away from where you do your mapping. Had a E-7(aka: a retread) in Basic who couldn't figure out why he kept failing the compass course until I took his K-Bar off the table!!!:D:D:D

Oh I keep my knife away from the compass when the compass is in use...Just thought the compass , knife , pace counter , protractor and one of my maps from the Army looked good as a picture...:D
Andy
It has been said a picture is worth a thousand words. There is much said with this picture. Awesome composition. You get an A. As in outstanding Again. :)

As was stated map and compass is going to be the way to go. Along with all the potential issues GPS satellites could quite easily be set back to poor accuracy or disabled all together for non military users. I don't want to have to rely on a system that can be rendered useless at the flip of a switch.

Well, I can certainly recommend the Silva Ranger Compass. Mine has been around the block and back. Ten years in ESAR/WSAR plus time spent in the CZ Jungle* and something over 300 flights in the RVN with stops here and there. It been on top of Rainier all four times I have. Sometimes I feel like retiring it but I don't think I will as long as it's still working properly. Thanks to the checks on my skills it keeps me pointed in the right direction!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

*Completed the Army Jungle Survival compass course in record time(or so I was told) and then asked to Instruct.

Exactly, technology may be all fine and good for people nowadays but with a good map
you can go anywhere becaus it is documented and will NEVER change.
Think about this for a minute, how many new roads are being built nowadays? Very very very few.....;)

You'd be surprised. I spend most of the year out of state and in Missouri and Illinois out there are many, many roads - in one case a 4 lane 70mph freeway, that my GPS has no idea exist.
Just as a GPS your maps are only good if they are up to date.

I've had good luck in the woods with either a deck of cards or a possum to help me find my way. The deck of cards in my breast pocket and the possum by the tail tied to my belt. If I have needed help I have laid out a hand of solitare and sure enough someone has always come up and looked over my shoulder and told me where I shoulda played that last card. I just ask them for directions. If all else fails I let the possum go and you know they always find the nearest road. You can often tell where someone has exited the woods cuz there will be a possum by the road. YMMV. :)

You'd be surprised. I spend most of the year out of state and in Missouri and Illinois out there are many, many roads - in one case a 4 lane 70mph freeway, that my GPS has no idea exist.
Just as a GPS your maps are only good if they are up to date.

Well maybe someone at Google maps bumped their head & forgot to "UPDATE" ..... :eek::eek::eek::p Say it ain't so!!!:D:D:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top