JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I tried to come up with a better word, I couldn't.

Do you think some folks simply hate normal day to day life that they dream, fantasize, or even have a fetish for the end of the world? Do these people think they will enjoy the SHTF more than the peaceful, more importantly, easy way of life we have now?

I don't know, I really like my electricity, overpriced coffee, and general easy way of life. Water comes out of my sink clean, I don't have to filter it or treat it. My food stays fresh in my refrigerator for weeks at a time. My lights turn on and off with a flick of a switch...

With the absolute media frenzy and non stop down your throat coverage on the Coronavirus, I really can't help but think some really really want the world to go to bubblegum. As if their lives would be better.

Anyone else feel like there are just some that want doom and gloom over the way life is right now?

Or is it that some only see the negative in life and are too blinded by their ways to see the nice things we have and such?

I really don't get it.

Reno

Tagged

fishing.png

Do you think some folks simply hate normal day to day life that they dream, fantasize, or even have a fetish for the end of the world? Do these people think they will enjoy the SHTF more than the peaceful, more importantly, easy way of life we have now?

I don't know, I really like my electricity, overpriced coffee, and general easy way of life. Water comes out of my sink clean, I don't have to filter it or treat it. My food stays fresh in my refrigerator for weeks at a time. My lights turn on and off with a flick of a switch...

With the absolute media frenzy and non stop down your throat coverage on the Coronavirus, I really can't help but think some really really want the world to go to bubblegum. As if their lives would be better.

Anyone else feel like there are just some that want doom and gloom over the way life is right now?

Or is it that some only see the negative in life and are too blinded by their ways to see the nice things we have and such?

I really don't get it.

Reno

Everybody's an anarchist until they break a leg or need a root canal. Then they want a smoothly operating health care system and services.

Oh yes, there are lots of people that fantasize and romanticize SHTF scenarios. It's really sad actually.

We have some members here that like to make wild claims of doom and gloom and sell it up the river as "fact". Their sources always seem to be unavailable to cite or share. :rolleyes:

SHTF Fetish?

Did you mean like, a new play on the...….

SCATOPHILIAC (aka : scat fetish)

Yes....there are some people who get off on it. But, don't get me wrong....because, who am I to JUDGE.:eek:

Aloha, Mark

Do they exist? Oh yah. I've met quite a few, both on an offline. To what degree they were serious about it varied, but they exist.

Why? I honestly don't know. Some theories:
  • Some are likely just immature; I've seen some of the younger set seem to think SHTF is some kind of real life video game or other nonsensical BS.
  • Others are so dissatisfied with their life that in some bizarre way they think it all falling apart is a net positive. And they are too dense to see that is not the case.
  • Some are sickos that have a grudge against a person, a group of persons, an organization, et al., and they can engage in a fantasy of taking revenge once there is no longer the rule of law.
  • Still others hold to some looney-tune fringe political and/or religious belief that will never gain mainstream traction, so they see the collapse of civilization as a way to usher in their warped view of society.
  • Others are simply mentally ill or there is now easy way to discern why they hold that view.
Because one is committed to being prepared does that mean one is looking forward to that? Hell, f-ing, no and then some. I personally would love for nothing more than smooth sailing as far as the eye can see. Alas, the real world is rarely that, both every day challenges and larger emergencies.

There's money to be made exploiting fear and low self esteem.. check out YouTube and every other e-media. It's encyclopedic and either has a beard, is doing a tutorial on applying lipstick, or both. Just click!

I really don't get it.

Reno
:s0067:
I've also noticed how everyone thinks they could rough it but most of them live off the provisions of society to some great extent or another. Just being able to hunt for your food isn't enough to get through... it's definitely an advantage but not the whole picture. I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to live without being completely dependent on infrastructure but I am saying we should wait until there's absolutely no other choice to cross that bridge.

A) I enjoy the things you mentioned. Anyone who has been backpacking knows how good we have it. Anyone who has been to a 3rd world country probably does too.

B) this country has been slipping left since its beginning, and I don't see a path to vote our way out. A reset or peaceful separation is critical for the USA as we know it (or remember it) to survive.

My feeling are a mix of fear of A and hope for B

I really don't get it.

Reno

I like everything you like. I think I would really hate to lose all that and have to struggle to survive. I'm thinking I would prefer to have it really hit the fan, and hope for it to be quick and relatively painless. Can't tell for absolutely sure until the time comes though. Also, there's a difference in the minds of young men with young families, and us older individuals.

There's money to be made exploiting fear and low self esteem.. check out YouTube and every other e-media. It's encyclopedic and either has a beard, is doing a tutorial on applying lipstick, or both. Just click!
I now am stuck with the image of a neck beard putting on lipstick with a straight face. "Would you tuck me? I'd tuck me." Thanks...
:s0170:

SHTF fetish, all things German/Nazi fetish, tacticool fetish...whatever. I find that these people are usually failures in what others would call a "normal life" and need to make up their own reality where they feel they have accomplished or could accomplish something.

I really don't get it.

Reno

Some theories:
  • Some are likely just immature; I've seen some of the younger set seem to think SHTF is some kind of real life video game or other nonsensical BS.
  • Others are so dissatisfied with their life that in some bizarre way they think it all falling apart is a net positive. And they are too dense to see that is not the case.
  • Some are sickos that have a grudge against a person, a group of persons, an organization, et al., and they can engage in a fantasy of taking revenge once there is no longer the rule of law.
  • Still others hold to some looney-tune fringe political and/or religious belief that will never gain mainstream traction, so they see the collapse of civilization as a way to usher in their warped view of society.
  • Others are simply mentally ill or there is now easy way to discern why they hold that view.
Hand to God.... I literally was telling a group of people these same theories in the last few days. There is some overly romanticized skewed vision of pink mohawks on ratted out motorcycles with sawed off shotguns speeding down the road laying distraction on anyone in front of them without the rule of law to issue consequences with certain demographics of people. I personally feel their lives are so meaningless that they possess such high levels of self hatred, they fantasize about not having to conform to society rules, they are hoping for a disruption of life so they can get revenge on those who have "kept them down" (these fantasy doomsdayers never take responsibility for their own failures in life and in part this is what makes them so dangerous).

What's going on in stores right now is just a tip of the iceberg.... wait till they make a run on the banks next week.

SF-

The idea is definitely romanticized by more than a few. Some enjoy the thought experiment and debate, others the chance to test their abilities and preparations.

It seems to me like the ones that actually want it to happen fantasize about a shift of power. Money will mean a lot less than it did and their prepper mentality goes from being a slightly odd eccentricity to an extreme advantage. They want that advantage, the powers associated with said, and a change in status.

I'd definitely be willing to bet my weight in gold that all those wishing for it would want their old life back in a month.

There are a lot of sick puppies out there, and not-so-sick that just romanticize the pre-industrial ages. I'll tell you this, I personally want NOTHING to do with an SHTF for one very simple but very dear reason: my girlfriend depends on entirely too much modern medicine to stay alive and without regular things like iron infusions her life expectancy would be rather short. When somebody starts wishing for SHTF, that comes off to me as a direct wish that she be toast, so I trust you'll understand if I take it rather poorly...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top